Your musical journey

i was thinking about the music in my life from as early as i can remember and trying to figure out how my tastes progressed and its quite an interesting journey when i think about the timeline.

my earliest memory of music is loving this track:

and i can remember loving (and still do) the dance music from the late 80s/early 90s, such as this gem:

obviously, being young meant i didnt realise there was a whole world of music beyond pop yet.

then somewhere along the lines music like house and happy hardcore came into my life, which lead me to other harder and darker dance music. that is where my tastes started to favour dark and hard music.
then i was introduced to Dā€™nā€™B and i started listening to artists like roni size, hype, etc. then i started to discover darker artists like technical itch, which is where i think i first found my home in music :smiley:
from there labels like ā€œalgorythm recordingsā€ started appearing and things just got better.
around that time i started discovering genres like gabber, techno and various other branches in different directions.

tldr:
tell us about your musical timeline from as young as you can remember.

+1 for an interesting topic model @Parricide. Good tastes my friend, itā€™s kind of interesting how some roads in electronic music lead to the harder darker stuff for some, and go the other route into trance and more uplifting stuff otherwise.

For me, most of my musical routes started diving into metal. Iā€™ve been jamming black metal for 16 years now, itā€™s always been the mainstay of my playlist. That aside, electronic music is what I consider my ā€œsoulā€ genre - and preferred modality of sound.

One of the earliest electronic tracks I remember falling in love with was this classic:

A lot of my tastes grew from video games, and spent a lot of time syncing playlists of heavy Big Beat / DnB with them. It soon grew out of control back in 2004 when I stumbled upon crazy shit like this:

and my journey into breakcore / IDM grew with tons of autechre, aphex, Ital Tek, xanopticon and other artists shaping my influences while starting to create the most insane glitchy shit imagineable.

Of course, on the side, loving everything from massive attack to industrial shit like:

Now, at 30, iā€™m just a complete hodgepodge of electronic bullshit and whatever metal I can dig on, from black metal to slam.

I suppose the general rule of thumb isā€¦ if itā€™s crazy shit, Iā€™ll probably be into it. I never was a fan of things mild.

I find its definitely a journey that you keep moving forward with. Even though its fun to revisit music I used to listen to, I feel like I am always moving forward and changing what I like. Even so, I think everything influences your future paths to some extent.

i cant believe i forgot to mention the prodigy! they had a huge impact on my life too.

i completely agree. although my taste doesnt change as fast now as it did when i was a kid it still changes, and fluctuates too. i still love the music from my past, i just dont listen to it often.

Growing up in a household that would every Sunday have tea (evening meal) listening to the Top 20 on the radio together, my earliest recollections would be stuff like this.

Then some influence from my brother and sister like this;
Sorry Taylor Swift, but youā€™ve got nothing on this lady

and this

Then through my brother Gary Numan. I think my first credible record purchase was this

From then, it was synth-pop to dance music and rock and beyond.

Nowadays Darkwave/Coldwave/minimal synth

But my tastes can be very varied.

saw DJ Hype last may in Detroit, bad assery ensued!

its interesting to see other peoples butterfly effect. i wonder what small thing could have happened that might have completely changed my tastes now.

i havent seen him in so many years now, but bad assery usually ensued when i did too

Flying lotus, j dilla, and prefuse 73, fatboy slim among others was what I started out listening to then I found out about others later on

I remember listening to some country, but it felt like mostly Genesis, Phil Collins, The Eagles, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Maria Carry and Gloria Estefan. ā€œTanning Salon Musicā€ is what I call it as I remember the waiting room of my momā€™s tanning salon, spent a lot of time their listening to pop radio in the late 80s and early 90s.

When I got my first CD player (boom box) I got the Beach Boys, Bach, Beethoven, Vince Gill and Glen Miller on CD.

When I started buying my own music it was a lot of Bowie, Hendrix and the Doors. Sasha and Digweedā€™s Northern Exposure. Fat Boy Slim Praise You. The Crystal Method. The Chemical Brothers. The Velvet Underground. I was also listening to a lot of different random electronic music on MP3.com.

That brings me up into college when I really started getting into rave music, DJing electronic music etc.

The first band I started listening to and became interested in was The Beach Boys when I was around 7 or so.

I loved The Beach Boys. My parents would buy me cassettes of their stuff, and I totally would be dancing in my room to it (which my brother would make fun of me for, but I didnā€™t care). It was the first band Iā€™d listen to with my own copies of music and would actively seek out. It would definitely represent the core of what I love; catchy, feel good music with great songwriting.

My next love would be the Beastie Boys, who were introduced to me by my older sister, via their album Ill Communication, when I was probably around 8 or 9. I remember when I first heard it, and I was listening to the cassette in headphones, in the small living room at our auntā€™s house that was filled with all us kids and the adults, and getting totally into Rhyminā€™ and Stealinā€™, singing along and shouting the lyrics when theyā€™re saying, ā€œAli Baba and the Forty Thieves Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves!ā€, and my mom and sister and aunt had to tell me to stop shouting lol. This was my first exposure to styles beyond what my parents listened to or the kinda ā€œsafeā€ music Iā€™d normally encounter.

After this, when I was in fifth grade (about 10), I discovered through my parentsā€™ collection Tears for Fears, one of their greatest hits albums. Shout, Everybody Wants Rule the World, the songs Iā€™d love the singing and verses. Also about this time I began thinking about how cool itā€™d be to be a DJ, introducing songs and playing the music I loved to others.

From here, I began to pick up an interest in swing music from my dad. I was in middle school at the time, between 12 and 13 years old. Brian Setzer Orchestra, Cherry Poppinā€™ Daddies, and tho I wouldnā€™t appreciate them until later, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, and Ella Fitzgerald. This touched back on ā€œfeel goodā€ music, good music for lots of people having fun. I never was a very social kid, but I did always want to be a performer or the person in front of the crowd of sorts. I always loved jumping into the break dance circles at school dances, or making jokes in class.

Then, one evening on one monumental day in 1999, my brother introduced me to Fatboy Slim. This would be the start of my love and passion for big beat, electronic, djing, and sample based music. My brother and I were home alone for the evening as our parents had gone to see a play downtown. I was watching my brother play a video game, until I fell asleep. My brother then put on ā€œIn Heavenā€, from Youā€™ve Come a Long Way, Baby, and woke me up blasting it on the surround sound system. It was awesome. I hadnā€™t heard anything like it. It had the feel good surf kinda stuff from The Beach Boys, DJish elements from the Beastie Boys, synths like from Tears for Feats. It was music unlike anything Iā€™d heard before, and it opened my mind to a completely different way of making music aside from traditional guitar player or piano player kinda musicians, which I never had a strong desire to be (I was never good at practicing an instrument, songs werenā€™t cool and you never were anywhere near as good as other performers).

I borrowed my brotherā€™s copy of the album, and started listening to it. The more of it I heard, the more it blew my mind. I had no idea music like that existed; sampled beats, cool slice edited rhythms, synthesizer lines, cut up guitarsā€¦ I began reading about electronic music, using old sampled breaks to create new songs, remixes, synthesizers, scratch DJā€™sā€¦ it was amazing! From here I began exploring the big beat genre, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, as well as house and trance, Oakenfold, Timo Maas, BT, and discovering the world of electronica. This was my formative period, my initial expansion into electronic music, when I was 15/16. I also got into some other non- electronic stuff, like the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

From there, throughout high school, (16/17) I began refining my tastes, discovering breaks, old school rave, more house music, and really exploring DJā€™s beyond what was played on the radio. I began discovering Orbital, the Orb, Meat Beat Manifesto (who actually I had had an album of since I was about 14 but I never really got, then heard one day and was like, "THIS IS AWESOME!!! HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD THIS BEFORE!!!). Other artists I discovered during this period were Plump DJā€™s, Adam Freeland, Dave Clarke, Stanton Warriors, Uberzone, and Elite Force. About this time I also purchased my first set of turntables (a couple belt drive Geminiā€™s from a used music instrument store).

Then, at this point, my second most transformative and illuminating event in my musical journey occurred, while I was 17/18, when I purchased the Richard D James Album, by Aphex Twin. I forget exactly how I discovered Aphex Twin, but I imagine it was one of those ā€œrelated titlesā€, or what have you while browsing the Orb and Orbital style music, as Iā€™d often go through the DJ mix cdā€™s I had to discover more about the artists the the DJā€™s would play.

While Fatboy Slim first introduced me to electronic, Aphex Twin summarily strapped me to a rocket and send me careening further down into darker and more intricate electronic music, and pushed me to eve more unknown areas. This album was most definitely the second most important album of my lifetime. He took the kinda stuff Fatboy Slim did, but laced it with acid and kicked it beyond the solar system.

Following this lead, I began exploring IDM, finding more artists that simply blew my mind and expectations of what music was and what music could be. Autechre, Squarepusher, and Boards of Canada. These artists helped to guide my own style of music, and pushed my music history to new unknown areas. I also began getting into jazz fusion, and other jazz, a la Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, Medeski Martin and Wood, and others.

Since then, Iā€™ve kinda explored IDM a bit more, and kinda branched out a bit to find other styles of music that were not electronic, and now I more often am exploring little known artists, buying singles and EPā€™s to try to explore more artists I havenā€™t heard. Notable finds include, Olā€™ Dirty Bastard, Exillon, Oneohtrix Point Never, Etch, the White Stripes, Global Goon, Blawan, Steve Moore, Phoenecia, Kettel. Iā€™ve had a few finds that have really stood out. I definitely would like to explore more old school style breaks (even if itā€™s new), downtempo, and ambient artists.

Cool thread. Iā€™ll try to tell a lengthy story very succinctly.

First record ever that I bought was Kraftwerk - Die Roboter. I was in elementary school and I think it shaped my musical tastes for good.
After that came a long stretch of darkness.
I liked Boney M, mostly because thatā€™s what my parents listened to. Then as I entered High School, there was lots of mainstream on the menue. Madonna, A-Ha, and all that sorta crap. There was also a period of German New Wave that was all the rage. Lots of synths in there. Depeche Mode was a fixture.
Then came wave, with The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Cassandra Complex. A period of Heavy Metal: Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and that sorta stuff. Towards the end of high school, there was clubbing. First with House, then increasingly more edgy stuff. The same time I really got into EBM: Front242, Nitzer Ebb, and industrial with Die Krupps.
Then Techno hit and that was that. I finally found my music. 90s rave, 909+303, love it!!

examples

i went from that to breakcore, soundesign, and idm such as this

thanks for your stories.
its great how easily discoverable music is these days, thanks to the internet. all our stories start with listening to whatever is put under our noses, since thats all we could find, but then there is a period in everyones story where the internet booms and our music tastes significantly morph into more complex, niche music.

@IO_Madness
your memory of the whole thing is awesome. i wish i could remember the small details like that. i cant remember my own name most of the time though :confused:

I always had the affinity for heavy rock riffs, dnb breaks, high-pitched string sections in orchestral music, as well as Middle Eastern instruments. Nothing much changed, really, bands just got more complex and way heavier than what I used to listen to. So, hereā€™s my journey:

1. Started off with stuff like ā€œRoll Back the Rockā€ and Tina Turnerā€™s ā€œGoldeneyeā€ (I really liked that song when I was a kid), but I also enjoyed soundtracks and cool intro themes. Knight Rider, MacGyver, Biker Mice from Mars. :heart_eyes:

2. The Lion King (film + game) and Warcraft II. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

3. Late 90s - I really got into video game soundtracks, drum and bass and the like. Some doom metal, too. Saki Kaskas is one of my biggest musical inspirations and favorite musicians to this day.

4. Total Annihilation got me into classical orchestral music and traditional orchestral soundtracks. Maestro Williams would have done the trick if only I had free access to Star Wars OSTs. :frowning:

5. There was this ā€œnu metalā€ phase, too. Watched VIVA and MTV a lot. Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn, Gorillaz, Fettes Brot XD, and first and foremost - SOAD.

Also - lots of dnb.

1. Between 2006 - 2009: lots and lots of Korn, LB, Deftones, American Head Charge, SOAD, Mushroomhead and the like. This was the period when I really got into these bands and was able to explore whole discographies, not just listen to a bunch of the most popular songs.
  2. I eventually dropped all this in favor of more movie and game soundtracks, as well as totally new bands, such as Meshuggah, Godflesh, Devin Townsend and friends, Kowloon Walled City, Voodoo Kungfu, Car Bomb, Convulsing, Black Sheep Wall and the like. Synthwave and lofi chillhop, too. So, basically a whole lot of new discoveries, genres and waves.

Still, nothing changed as far as my core musical tenets are concerned.

Good taste man, I see you like Flying Lotusā€¦ have you seen his movie Kuso? Lol

I feel like I never really got into a whole lot of EDM or bigbeat like a lot of folks. I just found Merck records around 2007 (after they went under, Iā€™m assuming) and fell in love with all of those artists [Blamstrain, Proswell, Proem, Mr. Projectile, Ilkae, Kettel (sending orbs, but whatever)]. Thatā€™s kind of the extent of my IDM knowledge because I donā€™t really know what it actually entails.

I picked up on metal when I was like 12 and the drone / noise / field recording conglomerate when I was about 18 and my tastes really havenā€™t progressed, I just like a lot of new / random shit.

TL;DR: Iā€™ve never really liked ā€˜the greatsā€™ but more of a random hodgepodge of shit, and thatā€™s probably how Iā€™ll always be

@nose i only saw the trailer it looks like a horror movie on acid

I have that movie, and have stomached through it twice lol