8 track album - 1 month challenge
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
beigeboxgone
Minor Glitch
beigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to behold
beigeboxgone's Avatar
Posts: 48
MC Status: 760
Thanks: 9
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Icon2 8 track album - 1 month challenge

The shittiest part of making music is not finishing things because you think they suck. This is about saying fuq it. Facing suckery is growth.

Bad = good

One month is about 4 weeks or 30 days. So this will allow around 3.75 days per track. Even with other things going on this should be doable. Even if you had only the weekend (2 days) per week you could pull this off. Though it would make it much more difficult. It would help to at least get a couple hours in per day along side a few long days.

I'm looking for any souls who dare to challenge and push themselves through this along side me. You can prepare anything you need before the start date. You can even get started to possibly make up for days that you can't produce.

Asking for feedback on this thread on something you are working on is allowed. Waiting for feedback may not be a good use of time though. At the end of the who cares anyway, lets have fun. Remember bad = good.

Goals:
8 track minimum (more is allowed)
No remixes unless you remix your own original content
Mix and master each of them
Release it even if it sucks
No Soundcloud, (Bandcamp only) (see below)

Today's date: May 16th
Start date: May 27th
End date: June 24th

The last week of June can be dedicated to getting it posted to bandcamp, (naming, organizing, tagging, running final checks). We can share after that point around July 1st at the latest.

Last edited by beigeboxgone; 16-05-2018 at 06:11 PM..

Advertisements

beigeboxgone is offline   Thanks
Old 16-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,052
MC Status: 203610
Thanks: 12,001
Thanked 4,072 Times in 3,025 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by beigeboxgone View Post
The shittiest part of making music is not finishing things because you think they suck. This is about saying fuq it. Facing suckery is growth.

Bad = good

One month is about 4 weeks or 30 days. So this will allow around 3.75 days per track. Even with other things going on this should be doable. Even if you had only the weekend (2 days) per week you could pull this off. Though it would make it much more difficult. It would help to at least get a couple hours in per day along side a few long days.

I'm looking for any souls who dare to challenge and push themselves through this along side me. You can prepare anything you need before the start date. You can even get started to possibly make up for days that you can't produce.

Asking for feedback on this thread on something you are working on is allowed. Waiting for feedback may not be a good use of time though. At the end of the who cares anyway, lets have fun. Remember bad = good.

Goals:
8 track minimum (more is allowed)
No remixes unless you remix your own original content
Mix and master each of them
Release it even if it sucks
No Soundcloud, (Bandcamp only) (see below)

Today's date: May 16th
Start date: May 27th
End date: June 24th

The last week of June can be dedicated to getting it posted to bandcamp, (naming, organizing, tagging, running final checks). We can share after that point around July 1st at the latest.
I'm in no way shitting all over you efforts here..seriously..but we have a "Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWN) on here..in this very same section of the forum, as it so happens. There's no really that much interest in this, tbh..well, there IS interest..just folks don't seem to stick with it that much..myself included.

I recently tried to kick it back into life, but even I fell by the way without anyone else even posting to the thread..again, myself included.

All of that said, I do like the idea and took part in them in the past. My album "[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
" was the result of one, though it makes me cringe when I listen to it now..more like an album sketch really and in need to some serious reworking, that I've never gotten around to doing, but really should at some point.

I'd be up for giving this a go with you, though..but I know for a fact I won't be able to commit until the start of July, as I have a lot going on right now and won't have the time for a major project like this until then.

If you feel like hanging on for while, then that would be cool..if not, then that's obviously cool, too.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 17-05-2018, 01:23 AM   #3
beigeboxgone
Minor Glitch
beigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to behold
beigeboxgone's Avatar
Posts: 48
MC Status: 760
Thanks: 9
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Yeah I noticed your QAWN from a couple months ago. I missed that one sadly, would have for sure, that is what inspired me. It does seem it requires people to kind of match schedules a bit. If nobody else wants to I might be able to hold out till July and work on other projects until then.

On another note Retro sounds awesome. Jamming it right now. Very atmospheric. Insane you made this in a month.

If the official QAWN has a return I am on board most likely unless other things come up.

------------------
"If you cannot get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you best teach it to dance."
-George Bernard Shaw
beigeboxgone is offline   Thanks
Thanks to beigeboxgone
A.M (17-05-2018)
Old 17-05-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
beigeboxgone
Minor Glitch
beigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to behold
beigeboxgone's Avatar
Posts: 48
MC Status: 760
Thanks: 9
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

It puts me in a beautiful blade runner esq atmosphere. Little bit of logans run. Would be awesome to see what you come up with if you do this again.

------------------
"If you cannot get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you best teach it to dance."
-George Bernard Shaw
beigeboxgone is offline   Thanks
Thanks to beigeboxgone
A.M (17-05-2018)
Old 17-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,052
MC Status: 203610
Thanks: 12,001
Thanked 4,072 Times in 3,025 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by beigeboxgone View Post
Yeah I noticed your QAWN from a couple months ago. I missed that one sadly, would have for sure, that is what inspired me. It does seem it requires people to kind of match schedules a bit. If nobody else wants to I might be able to hold out till July and work on other projects until then.

On another note Retro sounds awesome. Jamming it right now. Very atmospheric. Insane you made this in a month.

If the official QAWN has a return I am on board most likely unless other things come up.
All possible objections aside, let's make July a date then..if this takes off in the meantime, then cool..I'll still jump on board on the next one, if you hold it again. If not, then July it is.

As for Retro..I actually did it in 14 days if memory serves me right..10 tracks in total..from start to the finished state they're in now, but like I said, they still need to be polished and mastered. Don't ask how I managed it..I'm not really sure myself..it just happened..first time that music flowed from me at such a rate..and it hasn't again since.

And, yeah..most of my stuff tends to lean towards being blade runner es..it's the Vangelis influence at work..though my stuff is total shite compared to maestro's work..a mere shadow of a giant.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 17-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Automageddon's Avatar
Less kids, more synths.
Age: 39
Posts: 10,267
MC Status: 269480808
Thanks: 1,206
Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,079 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

It seems like a nice challenge to put you through but I have plenty of doubts about including mixing and mastering. Both tasks take an insane amount of time that might otherwise be better spent working on the actual tracks.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Automageddon
A.M (17-05-2018)
Old 17-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Automageddon's Avatar
Less kids, more synths.
Age: 39
Posts: 10,267
MC Status: 269480808
Thanks: 1,206
Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,079 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

From an IDMf Netlabel pov, things will be quieter during mid June/July so maybe that might be a better time to run this and make it another album writing month.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Automageddon
A.M (17-05-2018)
Old 17-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,052
MC Status: 203610
Thanks: 12,001
Thanked 4,072 Times in 3,025 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
From an IDMf Netlabel pov, things will be quieter during mid June/July so maybe that might be a better time to run this and make it another album writing month.
Watch this space..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #9
beigeboxgone
Minor Glitch
beigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to behold
beigeboxgone's Avatar
Posts: 48
MC Status: 760
Thanks: 9
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Update.

So I somehow got cheesed into doing construction work on the family winery for a couple weeks in June. Stunting my progress a bit with 11-12 hour days, working through rain and mud also. The whole time I was lifting metal sheets I was thinking about making some tracks. Life stuff just comes up sometimes. Despite that I did get some interesting tracks started over june, for sure a bit outside my normal comfort zone. Also my muscles and vitamin D should be solid for awhile.

What I made feels very demoey. July might be the month for finishing up whatever this is, perhaps.

Anyway, I am fully up for hitting the challenge again if it comes up again soon. If not I will keep riding the wave.

------------------
"If you cannot get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you best teach it to dance."
-George Bernard Shaw
beigeboxgone is offline   Thanks
Thanks to beigeboxgone
A.M (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,052
MC Status: 203610
Thanks: 12,001
Thanked 4,072 Times in 3,025 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by beigeboxgone View Post
Update.

So I somehow got cheesed into doing construction work on the family winery for a couple weeks in June. Stunting my progress a bit with 11-12 hour days, working through rain and mud also. The whole time I was lifting metal sheets I was thinking about making some tracks. Life stuff just comes up sometimes. Despite that I did get some interesting tracks started over june, for sure a bit outside my normal comfort zone. Also my muscles and vitamin D should be solid for awhile.

What I made feels very demoey. July might be the month for finishing up whatever this is, perhaps.

Anyway, I am fully up for hitting the challenge again if it comes up again soon. If not I will keep riding the wave.
Cool..no worries, man..totally understand where you're coming from..life is like that at times and you just have to go with it.

I'm not really BUSY busy, as in things being really crazy here right now, but I'm kept going all the same. It's actually looking like the start of August would be better for me, too..so I'm keeping things clear for that month just for this.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
Dr. Sleaze's Avatar
I'm not who or where you think I am.
Posts: 311
MC Status: 9310
Thanks: 93
Thanked 186 Times in 135 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Cool..no worries, man..totally understand where you're coming from..life is like that at times and you just have to go with it.

I'm not really BUSY busy, as in things being really crazy here right now, but I'm kept going all the same. It's actually looking like the start of August would be better for me, too..so I'm keeping things clear for that month just for this.
Sounds interesting, as I'm in the process of learning the QY700 at the mo, due to needed to get a new mixer, so using the down time to get my head around the workflow (It's a bit more different to the RM1x than I thought it would be, and there's sod all in the way of tuts on the web) but I think 8 tracks in a month would be pretty near impossible for me achieve. Would only be using the QY's inboard sounds, and not using any of the preset phrases. So does it have to be 8 tracks in a month, or are you going to do the quarterly 3 months?

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
A.M (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,052
MC Status: 203610
Thanks: 12,001
Thanked 4,072 Times in 3,025 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
Sounds interesting, as I'm in the process of learning the QY700 at the mo, due to needed to get a new mixer, so using the down time to get my head around the workflow (It's a bit more different to the RM1x than I thought it would be, and there's sod all in the way of tuts on the web) but I think 8 tracks in a month would be pretty near impossible for me achieve. Would only be using the QY's inboard sounds, and not using any of the preset phrases. So does it have to be 8 tracks in a month, or are you going to do the quarterly 3 months?

The thing is it doesn't really matter which, as they are basically the same thing. With one, you're picking a month and hoping to bang out 8 tracks during that month..the other option is doing the same thing every 3 months..meaning in, say, 3 months from today we'll each start work on an album and must finish it within that month.

LSS..whichever we go with, the object is to produce 8 tracks in a month..or at least give it our best. This is all about pushing yourself, more than ending up with a finished album..but if you do, then all the better.

You really need to make sure you can commit to it and "clear the decks" for that month. It can be hectic, but it's really a lot of fun, too.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
Dr. Sleaze's Avatar
I'm not who or where you think I am.
Posts: 311
MC Status: 9310
Thanks: 93
Thanked 186 Times in 135 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
The thing is it doesn't really matter which, as they are basically the same thing. With one, you're picking a month and hoping to bang out 8 tracks during that month..the other option is doing the same thing every 3 months..meaning in, say, 3 months from today we'll each start work on an album and must finish it within that month.

LSS..whichever we go with, the object is to produce 8 tracks in a month..or at least give it our best. This is all about pushing yourself, more than ending up with a finished album..but if you do, then all the better.

You really need to make sure you can commit to it and "clear the decks" for that month. It can be hectic, but it's really a lot of fun, too.
How about a monthly EP, say about 4 tracks, which gives you roughly 1 week per track. Might be easier to get more people on board for it as well. less time commitment than 3 months, but still a challenge. Let's face it, if you look at when we do net label releases, a lot of us have trouble putting out one track in a month for them, so it's good practice. Also the end result's should be of better quality. in theory.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #14
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,052
MC Status: 203610
Thanks: 12,001
Thanked 4,072 Times in 3,025 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Yeah..but an EP ain't no Album, is it?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #15
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
Dr. Sleaze's Avatar
I'm not who or where you think I am.
Posts: 311
MC Status: 9310
Thanks: 93
Thanked 186 Times in 135 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah..but an EP ain't no Album, is it?
True: album 8 tracks/ 3 months = 2.5 weeks a track.
EP 4 tracks/ 1 month = 1 week a track.
album 8 tracks/ 1 month = 3.5 days a track.
If it has to be an album, then it has to be 3 months for me.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
A.M (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #16
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,052
MC Status: 203610
Thanks: 12,001
Thanked 4,072 Times in 3,025 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
True: album 8 tracks/ 3 months = 2.5 weeks a track.
EP 4 tracks/ 1 month = 1 week a track.
album 8 tracks/ 1 month = 3.5 days a track.
If it has to be an album, then it has to be 3 months for me.
I don't think I explained that clearly..the 3 month challenge doesn't run for 3 months..it's one challenge every 3 months that each last for a month. It's still a month to complete an album.

We used to hold one every 3 months..and it's still there..that's what I was trying to kick-start again..but then beigeboxgone posted / suggested this 8 track album - 1 month challenge..but you're still talking about doing an album in one month regardless of which challenge you go with in the end.

All that said..nothing is really set in stone and it's supposed to be about having fun, pushing yourself and trying to be as productive as you can. IF you don't end up with a complete album, then no worries..chances are good you'll still end up with some really good work at the end of it all.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
Dr. Sleaze (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 02:45 AM   #17
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
Dr. Sleaze's Avatar
I'm not who or where you think I am.
Posts: 311
MC Status: 9310
Thanks: 93
Thanked 186 Times in 135 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I don't think I explained that clearly..the 3 month challenge doesn't run for 3 months..it's one challenge every 3 months that each last for a month. It's still a month to complete an album.

We used to hold one every 3 months..and it's still there..that's what I was trying to kick-start again..but then beigeboxgone posted / suggested this 8 track album - 1 month challenge..but you're still talking about doing an album in one month regardless of which challenge you go with in the end.

All that said..nothing is really set in stone and it's supposed to be about having fun, pushing yourself and trying to be as productive as you can. IF you don't end up with a complete album, then no worries..chances are good you'll still end up with some really good work at the end of it all.
Now I get what QAWM is. Shame there isn't a sticky at the top of the sub-forum that explains it. In this light, it's probably not of interest to me personally. Being at a kind of sticking point at the moment, and lacking in a bit of direction and focus, I thought it might be a way of getting some back, but trying to do something that I already feel would be impossible for me to achieve (even just for fun) would be highly counter productive for me. Guess I'll have to challenge myself privately, and try and keep myself focused.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
A.M (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #18
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,052
MC Status: 203610
Thanks: 12,001
Thanked 4,072 Times in 3,025 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
Now I get what QAWM is. Shame there isn't a sticky at the top of the sub-forum that explains it. In this light, it's probably not of interest to me personally. Being at a kind of sticking point at the moment, and lacking in a bit of direction and focus, I thought it might be a way of getting some back, but trying to do something that I already feel would be impossible for me to achieve (even just for fun) would be highly counter productive for me. Guess I'll have to challenge myself privately, and try and keep myself focused.
I hear you..and, I'm actually kinda in the same boat myself..been going through a bit of dry spell..creatively speaking..now for a while and I'm seriously thinking about no longer releasing anything publicly that I produce and just doing it for my own enjoyment. To that end, my releases on SC and HT have slowed down a lot already.

AS for this and how you feel, perhaps trying not to take it too seriously might help..instead try something like a totally different genre or something and just mess with it..making the end results as abstract as you can or something like that..just push yourself a little and have fun doing it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
I/O_Madness (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 03:17 AM   #19
beigeboxgone
Minor Glitch
beigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to beholdbeigeboxgone is a splendid one to behold
beigeboxgone's Avatar
Posts: 48
MC Status: 760
Thanks: 9
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

What AM is saying holds very true for what I have experienced. It is purely about the sense of urgency. Similar to that other challenge on the forum, make a track in 20 minutes or something. I think most people would be surprised what they are capable of (I am at least). I could make a lot of songs in one day with this philosophy. Good is subjective. I'm pretty sure Parkinson sums this up the best.

Parkinson's law is the adage that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion".

So if one says it will take them three months to finish an album it will take that long or longer. If one says 1 month it will be one month or longer.

The point is to make stuff as if my life depends on it. Because 2 bad tracks is better than 1 bad track always. Getting things out of my head is faster learning. Other life things will always come up I suspect.

The more I do this, the more I seem to fall in love with the process. Simply sitting with the gear feels good sometimes. And when I do it is inevitable I will start playing around and tinkering, given there are no distractions.

Last edited by beigeboxgone; 06-07-2018 at 03:32 AM..

------------------
"If you cannot get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you best teach it to dance."
-George Bernard Shaw
beigeboxgone is offline   Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #20
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 10,052
MC Status: 203610
Thanks: 12,001
Thanked 4,072 Times in 3,025 Posts
Re: 8 track album - 1 month challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by beigeboxgone View Post
What AM is saying holds very true for what I have experienced. It is purely about the sense of urgency. Similar to that other challenge on the forum, make a track in 20 minutes or something. I think most people would be surprised what they are capable of (I am at least). I could make a lot of songs in one day with this philosophy. Good is subjective. I'm pretty sure Parkinson sums this up the best.

Parkinson's law is the adage that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion".

So if one says it will take them three months to finish an album it will take that long or longer. If one says 1 month it will be one month or longer.

The point is to make stuff as if my life depends on it. Because 2 bad tracks is better than 1 bad track always. Getting things out of my head is faster learning. Other life things will always come up I suspect.

The more I do this, the more I seem to fall in love with the process. Simply sitting with the gear feels good sometimes. And when I do it is inevitable I will start playing around and tinkering, given there are no distractions.

Here's an idea that I just mentioned over in the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I originally started..what if we merge the two challenges..both the QAWN and your "8 Tracks in One Month" challenge, seeing as both require a person to complete a set body of work in one month. The only real difference between the two is you're basically adding a target / goal of 8 completed tracks to, what is in effect, still a QAWM challenge. In the end, regardless, those taking part still have to try to turn out an album in one month.

If you're OK with this, then we should move the discussion from here on over to the QAWN thread, so as to limit any possible future confusion that might pop up and get this thread locked off.

What do you think?

Advertisements


------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
< < < Soundscapes Challenge > > > A.M Community Projects 182 07-07-2018 07:23 AM
IDMf 049 One Synth Challenge Officially Open relic IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion 254 15-04-2018 10:21 PM
[Electronic] Marquis De Morning - An Heir From Exile (taken from an album) StampedeMe Listening Booth 3 12-03-2018 09:56 PM
The future of IDMf fid IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion 382 18-10-2017 02:20 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.