Strongly considering a total clean sweep and reinstall/reorganize of everything. Help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 30-07-2017, 12:56 AM   #21
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MC
MC Status: 10360
Re: Strongly considering a total clean sweep and reinstall/reorganize of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Dose View Post
One thing I'd like to do is have folders for my plugins that show up properly in the Ableton browser, like "compressors" "reverbs" etc. Is that possible?
Sure, I always do that with all my effects (currently Midi/Spectral/Crush/Motion/Dynamics/Ambience/Various/Restore) and synths (Simple/Complex/Sampled) - works without problems for most plugins. It gets a bit more complicated sometimes when you have to also move around additional files or change the folder location in some setting file, but I didn't have any real problems so far, and I use a lot of plugins - I even rename most plugins to keep order in subcategories such as BIT Decimort / BIT DeltaModulator / DST Trash / DST Indent and so on...

Advertisements

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Metaside
Deep Dose (30-07-2017)
Old 30-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #22
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684455
Re: Strongly considering a total clean sweep and reinstall/reorganize of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaside View Post
Sure, I always do that with all my effects (currently Midi/Spectral/Crush/Motion/Dynamics/Ambience/Various/Restore) and synths (Simple/Complex/Sampled) - works without problems for most plugins. It gets a bit more complicated sometimes when you have to also move around additional files or change the folder location in some setting file, but I didn't have any real problems so far, and I use a lot of plugins - I even rename most plugins to keep order in subcategories such as BIT Decimort / BIT DeltaModulator / DST Trash / DST Indent and so on...
excellentttt. Exactly what I plan to do. All part of the less is more strategy. I gotta stop hoarding plugins, pick the top shelf ones and learn them inside out.
Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Deep Dose
Daggit (31-07-2017)
Old 30-07-2017, 02:25 AM   #23
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
There should be a Certificate of Authenticity sticker somewhere on the laptop, usually on the bottom or in the battery compartment. That will have a Product Key you can use to activate the corresponding copy of Windows (Home, Pro, etc). You can use the general Windows installer that you download from Microsoft. That's not to say that you need to reinstall - a factory reset might do you just fine, but using the installer would allow you to put your OS on the SSD for better performance.

SSDs both read and write faster than standard hard drives, but are still slower than RAM. Without getting too technical, you're mainly concerned with things that are going to be either continuously read or written (ie recording audio) or things that are too big to be held in memory (large sample sets). Those situations will see the biggest performance boost from an SSD. Recording and playback from fast media means less chance for dropouts.

The only real performance boost you'll see from having the DAW on the SSD is how quickly it starts up. Most of it resides in memory once it's launched. But things like plugins and VSTs can benefit from being on the faster drive, include the ones that come with the DAW. They're not huge space hogs, so might as well toss it on the SSD.

Optimization depends on a lot of things, but very generally I'd put OS and programs (including your DAW), plugins and VSTs, and whatever tracks you're actually working on on the SSD. I'd archive tracks and keep samples on the other drive. If you have playback issues with specific samples, move them to a folder on the SSD. Mostly SSDs are large enough these day to just put everything on, as long as you occasionally clear off samples and tracks when you're done with them. Back when a 64GB SSD was considered large, you'd have to be a lot more careful about space.
all makes perfect sense now. I also spoke to my friend who did the same not long ago, and said I can simply put the SSD into my secondary drive port, clone my factory reset windows to it, then swap the drives and format my now secondary HDD. All coming together. Now just to start making lists of what to reinstall. Downloading and installing all my NI products is gonna be the biggest headache I think
Thanks to Deep Dose
Daggit (05-08-2017)
Old 31-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #24
sefrcoko
Regular Freak
sefrcoko will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I had an HDD die on me this spring. I bought a SSD, started over from scratch, haven't looked back. I reinstalled all my go to stuff and am not really bothering with anything else. I havent' even hooked up one of my back up drives except to pull a few sample packs I use often.

I only have two unresolved issues--couldn't get MIDI to work properly on my old MOTU 828 MKII (work around, using my MOTU Express XT as a MIDI interface) and Elektron Overbridge has MIDI sync/transport issues. I just stopped using Overbridge. I guess a third issue is I haven't found out how to re-upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
If you upgraded to Windows 10 then their servers will recognize your machine and automatically re-auth you the next time Windows is reinstalled (provided there were no major hardware changes). This is the way they do it now iirc, as of Windows 10.
sefrcoko is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #25
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8810
Icon3 Upping the Game

Quote:
excellentttt... part of the less is more strategy. I gotta stop hoarding plugins, pick the top shelf ones and learn them inside out.
Yeah, I feel what you are saying on this. I just recently started rebuilding my DAW (again!!!?!?!?!) and this time just couldn't be arsed with re-establishing my old hoard of plugins. This time I only gathered together about 40 instead of 150! Since I use Reaper anyhow, I realised that I don't need a lot since it comes with some of the generic plugins.

To be sure, the old philosophy was that I loved experimenting with different toolsets for each tune, but now I don't think I want to do that anymore. It's fun, but just kind of delays getting to know tools better because there's just so many tools!

But less is more philosophy in practice makes rebuilding the DAW more relaxing.
Last time I spent WEEKS just organizing, and hardly got any work done.

That being said, a well-organized DAW computer makes composing MUCH faster. There's no hunting around for what you need. You just go right to it. But the downside is, it could take months to get the DAW computer to be at that state of ergonomics.

I like to delete unwanted presets, and that takes a long time too. This time won't take so long because I lost some of my paid-for VSTi's!!!?! Arggh... oh well.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:38 AM   #26
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Re: Upping the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
But the downside is, it could take months to get the DAW computer to be at that state of ergonomics.

I like to delete unwanted presets, and that takes a long time too. This time won't take so long because I lost some of my paid-for VSTi's!!!?! Arggh... oh well.
That's pretty much what I expect to put myself through. Especially since it's my first time doing it. So I'm gonna try to enjoy the process, knowing I'll soon be reaping the benefits.

It's always a case of how deep do I go with this, because I'm the same and literally want it down to ONLY samples and presets and plugs that I want. But that seems like an insane undertaking. That's why I appreciate your help with the sample thing.

I think for now, I'll do everything I can aside from presets. That's something that I can pick away at over time. I'll just be very sure to screen everything that enters my library moving forward
Thanks to Deep Dose
Daggit (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #27
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8810
Icon2 Re: Upping the Game

Quote:
That's pretty much what I expect to put myself through. Especially since it's my first time doing it. So I'm gonna try to enjoy the process, knowing I'll soon be reaping the benefits.

It's always a case of how deep do I go with this, because I'm the same and literally want it down to ONLY samples and presets and plugs that I want. But that seems like an insane undertaking. That's why I appreciate your help with the sample thing.

I think for now, I'll do everything I can aside from presets. That's something that I can pick away at over time. I'll just be very sure to screen everything that enters my library moving forward
If it's any consolation, I found a technique for handling presets in Reaper:

Use the effects Folders in the FX broswer for VST effects or even instruments sorting. Then, for each VST instrument that you like, click the + (plus) button in the VST instrument frame and select "Save as Reaper Preset..." or whatever it's called. It will create a snapshot of the VST instrument or effect as is including the Name that you choose. They then show up within that drop down menu at the top of the frame.

After that, Export all of your Reaper preferences from within the General section of Reaper's preferences to ReaperConfig.ReaperConfig and keep the file inside of your portable(?) Reaper folder. This essentially is a backup of every saved preset condition of Reaper and other stuff. VERY handy!

Good luck.

Advertisements

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote