Is $599.99 too much for a Kontakt VI Plug? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:28 AM   #21
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217360
Thanked 4,347 Times in 3,225 Posts
Re: Is $599.99 too much for a Kontakt VI Plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
At that point its a matter of value vs cost.

I know loads of musicians that would find 600 dollars worth of beer more useful.

If you're asking me my opinion, as a hobbyist it doesn't make much sense, but then I gather there are a handful of people on this forum that make a great salary and 6 bills for some new software for their hobby isn't much to worry about.

I tend to be really utilitarian w my music purchases. Before I pull the trigger I try to evaluate exactly what a new bit of gear/software is going to add to my output. Lots of times (most?) I've decided that the gain isn't worth the cash.
Yeah..I'm with Relic regarding what you say..and I do agree totally with what you've said here..but I'm talking about the price generally speaking, simply comparing it to other products out there that offer more "tools" for much less..then this is way over-priced..as are other products of late.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #22
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080364
Thanked 1,234 Times in 833 Posts

people/companies who do foley and scores have a shitton of libraries for thousands and thousands of dollars, so it has its clientele

if you have to churn out loads of stock music for tv shows its all about being efficient, and having well-organized libraries and synth presets just saves time

also, it can be a good idea to SPEND a lot of cash depending on your cash flow/EBIT to save on taxes

i think the product you posted is utterly useless for a private person and/or someone who makes music as a hobby

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ab
A.M (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 05:45 AM   #23
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
people/companies who do foley and scores have a shitton of libraries for thousands and thousands of dollars, so it has its clientele

if you have to churn out loads of stock music for tv shows its all about being efficient, and having well-organized libraries and synth presets just saves time

also, it can be a good idea to SPEND a lot of cash depending on your cash flow/EBIT to save on taxes

i think the product you posted is utterly useless for a private person and/or someone who makes music as a hobby
Yeah..I see what you mean..still, regardless of who the end user is, I still think it's a bit of a ripoff for what it does..but. I get there are folks out there who don't mind paying out for something like this. Again, it's nothing to do with the quality of the thing..just the features.

------------------
Old 07-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #24
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080364
Thanked 1,234 Times in 833 Posts

you see that kind of differentiation in almost every appliance (consumer <> b2b).

more often than not the b2b version has enhanced features when it comes to ease-of-use, q-o-l, "insurance" against (mechanical) failure, servicability (and service technicians in your area) etc etc.

also, the "planned obsolescence" product cycle is enhanced (more uses before beakdown, etc) and more aggressive marketing schemes are set in place (incompatibility to former models, political lobbying towards new guidelines that render model xy useless, etc etc).

so in a lot of ways, as a business you are forced to spend WAY more money than you would have to as a private person just to get a functioning product.

i guess thats the idea behind those high tier prized libraries. i wonder if they manage to sneak in incompatibilities, paid upgrades, etc once you own one of those =)

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #25
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 37960

Yea.. I will echo what others have said.

This is not rip off at all.. because for commercial studios this is WAY worth the money.

How much time would it take to make just one of those patches? An entire studio session at least.

with this product, a studio gets a deadline, they open up this shit and play a c minor chord and they're 40% done.

Now, is it the most creative/expressive process? Hell no. But these people aren't concerned with being aphex twin, they're concerned with making money.

Up until recently, when a production outfit got a project, they would have to pay studio musicians pretty high fees by the hour. Paying $600 dollars once to have access to all of this shit from here on out? Not even close to a rip off from that perspective.

Obviously studio logic has taken this into account with their marketing. they are not trying to appeal to bedroom producers, so they don't care if you think it's a ripoff. It's called "cinemorph" and he talks about how it's excellent for film and video games in the trailer.

I'm sure they did some r&d to determine that this was a valid business model.

simple as that.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #26
A.M

All of that may well be true, but it's also true that the trend seems to be to charge more and more for Kontakt VIs..on par with softsynths..if not surpassing them in some cases.

I mean, we're talking about libraries here, with limited features, in comparison to what you get with softsynths which, in most cases, can do the same thing and more as well.

I get that they are handy for those involved with scoring and that this is the market being aimed at from the get-go..I just think the price is a little too high for what you get is all..no matter how handy they are to use or how cool they sound.

------------------
Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #27
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544177
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,353 Posts

Interesting timing on noticing this thread being continued.

I just finished a project for a client in his studio, the project was scoring a teaser video for a Kickstarter campaign. The client is attempting to fund a horror film.

Last year my client bit the bullet and purchased Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate. It was expensive ($1000 US), but in this case worth as I was able to quickly access to high quality sounds and spend the 4 or 5 hours composing rather than spending time developing all of the sounds I wanted to use.

In creating my own music, it being a labor of love, might have me invest the time to customize all of the sounds I use in a composition, but in this case they needed "something that sounds like a Wes Craven movie" and they needed it quick.

NI Komplete Ultimate made this possible, on their deadline and with the budget they had for my time. It also allowed me to surpass their expectations in terms of quality, win win.

Full disclosure, I am a NI Komplete user, but the additional libraries contained in Ultimate made this project go significantly faster.

The Kickstarter will be going live soon, I'll post a link when its up for those interested in hearing the work.

Food for thought....

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #28
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Interesting timing on noticing this thread being continued.

I just finished a project for a client in his studio, the project was scoring a teaser video for a Kickstarter campaign. The client is attempting to fund a horror film.

Last year my client bit the bullet and purchased Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate. It was expensive ($1000 US), but in this case worth as I was able to quickly access to high quality sounds and spend the 4 or 5 hours composing rather than spending time developing all of the sounds I wanted to use.

In creating my own music, it being a labor of love, might have me invest the time to customize all of the sounds I use in a composition, but in this case they needed "something that sounds like a Wes Craven movie" and they needed it quick.

NI Komplete Ultimate made this possible, on their deadline and with the budget they had for my time. It also allowed me to surpass their expectations in terms of quality, win win.

Full disclosure, I am a NI Komplete user, but the additional libraries contained in Ultimate made this project go significantly faster.

The Kickstarter will be going live soon, I'll post a link when its up for those interested in hearing the work.

Food for thought....
I'm with you in regards to Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate..I have it myself..and that's actually the reason that started me thinking about all of this in the first place. Like you touched on, Chase..and I'm sure any other NI users reading this will agree, the whole Komplete Ultimate box of tricks is out of this world in what it can do and what it offers from the get-go.

Now, if you keep in mind what you get for that $1000 and what you can do with it..and then you compare that to the likes of these individual Kontakt plugins, that are going for nearly as much as the whole Komplete Ultimate set of tools..they just seem a little over-priced is all I'm saying. I'm not knocking them in any way..or those who use them..it's just an observation on my part, that more and more Kontakt plugs seem to be coming out that are costly..each that lite bit more costly than the last.

It kinda reminds me of the whole Apple way of doing things..make something real sexy looking and then sell it at a high price to solidify its exclusivity. Some of these plugs are really cool looking, with animated background that react to what you're doing in realtime..but they're just eye candy for the most part. If you compare them to something like Omnisphere or Diva, they're left standing when it comes to features and value for money.

So yeah, I get they are handy for some, but in general they are way over-priced if you think of the limited features they offer,

------------------
Thanks to A.M
chasedobson (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #29
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

Hmm... I hear what you are saying AM, and I think there is likely some truth to it.

But here are a couple of things to think about-

-native instruments is probably the biggest plugin company in existence. I don't think many companies can afford to price some thing so low that represents so many hours of developement.

-this particular product is probably still even better than komplete for certain things. Just listening to the video, it seems redicously easy to get a professional sound track going. To the extent that I'm not even interested because I would be sacrificing so much creative control.

-if you consider that this product is really only appealing to a very small group of professionals, it would make sense that they would have a high price tag to make it profitable.

I just speculating here.
Thanks to mnkvolcno
A.M (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 06:25 PM   #30
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Hmm... I hear what you are saying AM, and I think there is likely some truth to it.

But here are a couple of things to think about-

-native instruments is probably the biggest plugin company in existence. I don't think many companies can afford to price some thing so low that represents so many hours of developement.

-this particular product is probably still even better than komplete for certain things. Just listening to the video, it seems redicously easy to get a professional sound track going. To the extent that I'm not even interested because I would be sacrificing so much creative control.

-if you consider that this product is really only appealing to a very small group of professionals, it would make sense that they would have a high price tag to make it profitable.

I just speculating here.
Yeah..I agree with you..I really do. Like I said, I have nothing against these guys or they plug..it was basically something that started this whole line of thought going in my mind and I went and looked at other recent releases to check this out..and it does seem that Kontakt plug prices are creeping up in general.

But yeah, I hear what you're saying..and I totally get the reasoning behind some companies needing to put their prices so high from the start..it's been costed into the build right from the start and part of their marketing model from the get-go

I don't know..guess underneath it all I just want cheap plugs that sound good.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
mnkvolcno (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #31
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421886329
Thanked 5,167 Times in 2,989 Posts

I believe 599 is too much for that, when THIS is 549:

And THIS is 499 (I actually really like this song):

I've seen a $700 grand piano for Kontakt, but can't seem to dig it up, but I'm sure it till exists.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vlantis
A.M (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #32
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Here's what i want to spend my moneys on

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Thanks to mnkvolcno
A.M (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #33
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Ooooh (..as drool drips to the floor.)

Advertisements

------------------