InTheAM - Practice Mix [House/Dance]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Members Live Sets Post your live sets & gig recordings here.

Old 16-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584080
Thanked 7,863 Times in 5,531 Posts
InTheAM - Practice Mix [House/Dance]

Another practice set for my upcoming gig. I didn't over think things and just improvised. Still not perfect. Don't know if I'll ever pull off a perfect mix. Don't know if I care. I feel like for a general crowd track selection is somewhat more important :p

Advertisements

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (16-06-2018)
Rate this track - InTheAM - Practice Mix [House/Dance].
Old 16-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217360
Thanked 4,347 Times in 3,225 Posts
Re: InTheAM - Practice Mix [House/Dance]

That's another cool set you've put together, man..ripped and saved for future chill times.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (16-06-2018)
Old 16-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
That's another cool set you've put together, man..ripped and saved for future chill times.
Thanks . As always I truly appreciate any listens.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
Old 17-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
HalfTrek
Analog Lurker
HalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2060

Is this still for that hippie drifter crowd? Also only commenting because you said that you appreciate the listens, would not otherwise..my first impression is to many dated sounds

But should give it a better listen first. So just a few impressions:

From what I have heard clicking through the mixing is great! But unsure if those garage-y tracks in the beginning will work for a younger crowd (that opening track is nice though).

An idea could be to replace the second track, that one sounds especially dated in a bad way. And by replacing it, it breaks up the all garage opening.

That 'Charlie is a hell of a drug' track is a Camelphat track from 2017 :-O
I was going to suggest to bin it because I was sure it was a 2000 era track. Still would remove it because it sounds like a dated 2000 track

Think the second half (from around 26 min on) is a lot better for a general public. Dreams remix is alright (also popped up in youtube suggestions when I was looking for the Camelphat track..coincidence or scary google magic ?). And some other nice tracks in there!

Anyway, will have to listen it through for a better impression
HalfTrek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to HalfTrek
relic (17-06-2018)
Old 17-06-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I've always felt like the way I search for music to play is fairly different than what a lot of other people do--I rarely get stuck on labels, artists or only playing music that has just come out. Injust listen to the music and download tracks I like and would enjoy partying and dancing to.

Yes. This is still for the hippie drifters lol. This crowd don't know elbows from assholes when it comes to dance music. I've always dome things this way and got gigs when I was DJing regularly.

I feel like house/techno/garage hasnt changed much since the turn of the century. But I don't voraciously follow trend setters and taste makers.

Also the age range of people at rhis festival is much older. Im 35...Ive been going to this festival for at least seven years and I always feel like one of the younger people there. Not a ton of twenty something party people, wooks, ravers or trustafarians.

Is it that terrible to play a track that is a year old???

Also Im purposefully throwing in some stuff like the Dreams remix forna non-rave crowd...giving them a taste of the familiar so they have some ground to stand on.

Totally open to critique, but to my ear none of this sounds that dated?

Last edited by relic; 17-06-2018 at 11:07 PM..

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
Old 18-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
HalfTrek
Analog Lurker
HalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond reputeHalfTrek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Is it that terrible to play a track that is a year old???

Also Im purposefully throwing in some stuff like the Dreams remix forna non-rave crowd...giving them a taste of the familiar so they have some ground to stand on.

Totally open to critique, but to my ear none of this sounds that dated?

Damnit, I knew I should have kept my big mouth shut . Now i'm going to have to explain myself. Like I said, my comments where mostly about the tracks up on to Charlie. And not an entire listen through.

First off..nothing wrong with playing older tracks! I just don't feel the Charlie one, I think it is the bass-line and the beat that make it sound like a club house track from around 2000. I feel this sound has come and gone and that is why it sounds dated to me. I even went to look for the track that it reminds me off, but could not find it. Also it is basically the beat/bass and that sample, a bit gimmicky to my ears. Extra points being deducted for being made by a guy who had a hit with a catchy rape drug song. How about something on Dirty Bird in stead if you want some chunky house beats?

With dated in general I mean it is stuck in an era and does not transcend it based on the quality of the track, so basically it is an older track from a specific era/style that is not timeless.

It's like when in the wake of Faithless - Insomnia a lot of other tracks started using that sound. Think they even gave that trend a name, pizzicato house/trance. Insomnia is well known and classic enough to still play once in a while, but most of the tracks that rode that trend would sound dated to me. So if you would play a couple of those in a row I would be thinking I had stumbled in on a 90's party.

The garag-y gracks remind me of this mix cd : [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Used to love that mix back when it came out. But when I quickly check the tracks now they just sound old

I'm not sure what is going on with Future garage these days maybe there is something to find there (
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
), like that Burial track for instance (also older, and not even Future Garage I think, but still great).

The second track in the mix sounds muffled. Which is why I found it especially dated. Even if styles don't change, production quality does.

I mean, I agree that good music is good music. But especially in dance music things change, production techniques improve, styles merge and re-freshen themselves. I do not think you should just meekly follow the herd from trend to trend, but you are sitting on a pile of cutting edge music with this board here. There must be some stuff that is being posted that could be incorporated (the non idm stuff).

Anyway, not trying to tell you how to do your set. You know the scene and the crowd over there. And if it works it works. So just follow your gut and i'm sure it will be a great night
Thanks to HalfTrek
relic (18-06-2018)
Old 18-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

IDK..I think that Charlie track kicks ass, given the current state of things in Hollywood..very relevant..maybe more so than it ever was. I thought sticking it in there was a very smart move, tbh..plus, being an old fart myself, it still sounds good to my ears.

------------------
Old 18-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I appreciate the clarifications. As much as I love internet forums, they are a really poor substitute for face to face, live conversation, shades of meaning get lost. I'll reconsider some of those tracks for sure. Please don't feel like you need to keep your mouth shut, I wouldn't post the mixes here if I only wanted praise. No matter how I wrote my response to your comments it ended up feeling argumentative to me, when I really wanted clarification, should have just said that.

TBF, I was hesitant about the cheese level of the Charlie track myself. A lot of these tracks I've purchased from BandCamp w/o a proper listen in my studio, so there might some quality control issues on some of the tracks. It seemed somewhat cheaper than Juno, but I as always, you get what you pay for in some instances lol.

I saw a bunch of Dirty Bird DJs recently in Detroit, great suggestion.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
Old 18-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 36010

I liked the old school vibe but that's also what I'm making right now. My favorite instruments are the M1 VST and Ravegenerator, which is a bunch of early 90s samples in one convenient mixing solution. I feel like we're living a second 80s right now personally in a lot of trends. This has been the decade of technical marvel half-step skrillex tracks, re-living the 80s in movies, tv, all over youtube (at least the stuff I watch), rampant commercialization in hollywood and much entertainment in general, and learning how the cloud is gonna change everything (as opposed to digitization in the 80s).

Now, I say all that because the 90s sound is what comes next and I personally feel that within about five years, we're going to be in a 90s revival like the 80s we're dealing with right now. So I wouldn't say this sounds dated. If anything, I'd call it ahead of the curve, which is exactly what hipsters want! Just my two cents though.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I liked the old school vibe but that's also what I'm making right now. My favorite instruments are the M1 VST and Ravegenerator, which is a bunch of early 90s samples in one convenient mixing solution. I feel like we're living a second 80s right now personally in a lot of trends. This has been the decade of technical marvel half-step skrillex tracks, re-living the 80s in movies, tv, all over youtube (at least the stuff I watch), rampant commercialization in hollywood and much entertainment in general, and learning how the cloud is gonna change everything (as opposed to digitization in the 80s).

Now, I say all that because the 90s sound is what comes next and I personally feel that within about five years, we're going to be in a 90s revival like the 80s we're dealing with right now. So I wouldn't say this sounds dated. If anything, I'd call it ahead of the curve, which is exactly what hipsters want! Just my two cents though.
Yea, I've got serious nostalgia for the 90s sound, even though I didn't really start going to parties until the turn of the century. I can never help myself from going backwards.

There was this "nu-rave" thing going on for a minute sometime between '05-'08, but it was pure cheese. Everything sounded like a too-glossy Prodigy or Acen rip-off and not nearly as good.

I'd really love a Bleep n Bass revival, but that seems unlikely--I love that tiny moment in UK rave music before things broke off into Hardcore, Breakbeat and Jungle. Maybe I can con a bank into loaning me the money to start a Club Med for old ravers and have DJs play nothing but throw back sets : )

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
Old 18-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
A.M

I honestly don't get what's wrong with keeping such genres alive and living, rather than everyone relegating them to the past all the time. Sure, I get the industry and tastes move on and that production techniques improve and are built on all the time, but just because things were done a certain way "back in the day" shouldn't automatically mean that sound has no relevance anymore and must be abandoned. It is what it is and should be resected as such, with it's own place / scene, that never dies.

Maybe people are too fickle or something, idk..more worried about fitting in and keeping up with what everyone else is into, rather than follow their own musical course. But, then again, that's always been the way..younger folks following current trends and ignoring..for the most part..what came before.

Then they "wake up" one day and realize there's a whole wide world of really good sounds out there..and that some of those old styles ARE really good in their own right and worth getting into in a more deeper way that they did before.

I don't think any style / genre / scene every really dies..they're always there, waiting for individuals to grow up / mature musically and appreciate them and what they have to offer the listener.

That's why I don't give much credence to genres in general, as most are just rehashing what's been done before and passing it off as something new. Take Synthwave for example..it's nothing new..it's just folks today emulating the sounds of what was common back in the 80s..it's all been done before..and we don't really need a new name to make it acceptable all over again..or maybe we evidently do. I think I'm starting to ramble here a bit, but I guess you get what I mean.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
relic (18-06-2018)
Old 20-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #12
HalfTrek
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I appreciate the clarifications. As much as I love internet forums, they are a really poor substitute for face to face, live conversation, shades of meaning get lost. I'll reconsider some of those tracks for sure. Please don't feel like you need to keep your mouth shut, I wouldn't post the mixes here if I only wanted praise. No matter how I wrote my response to your comments it ended up feeling argumentative to me, when I really wanted clarification, should have just said that.

Aah yes, this can be a difficult thing with written communication. And can sometimes lead to some real misunderstandings and as a result timewasters on forums

Would have replied earlier, but been busy with some real life stuff. Anyway, thank you for shining a light on the intentions of your post!

ps Can always pm some idea's for stuff that might work

Advertisements

Thanks to HalfTrek
relic (21-06-2018)