Question about Sidechain Compression in FL, and routing
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
iStarfox
Microknight
iStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of light
Ireland
MC Status: 460
Question about Sidechain Compression in FL, and routing

Im new to FL so still getting my head around it. There are many ways to Sidechain including using those envelope shapers which is not actually sidechaining technically but I do it the conventional way and I am using FabFilter C to do it. I create my kick (sidechain) track and select 'sidechain to this track only' on the mixer, its routed to, say a Pad track for example and on that track I have FabFilter C and I will sidechain it using the signal from the Kick.

Now, 2 questions.

1. Can I use the same Kick sidechain channel to sidechain more than one instrument using the same method or is this method exclusively for the track I selected? Coming from Logic Pro I am used to using the one sidechain track to sidechain every instrument I need to which saves the need to keep creating endless amounts of sidechain tracks which seems logical. Im sure there is a way to do this Im just not seeing it, otherwise envelop shapers it is...

2. When I choose sidechain 'to this channel only' how do I undo this step? Because there doesn't seem to be a way or if there is its very confusing to figure out.

Thanks for your help
Much appreciated, very wow

Advertisements

iStarfox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 21060
Re: Question about Sidechain Compression in FL, and routing

easiest and most efficient way to sidechain in fl studio is by the fruity limiter
put one on a channel and set it up with a low threshold (turn it all the way left till there's barley anything blue bit left long attack long release max ratio. then put your kick on a channel and when it goes a lighter shade of grey go back to the channel where you put the fruity limiter and at the bottom you will see a yellow arrow. Right click on the arrow and click on sidechain to this track only. Then re open yp the fruity limiter again and back in the compressor section go to the sidechain section and right click it and itll bring up an option for your kick,click it. Then what ever sounds you want to sidechain you can go back to the yellow arrow at the bottom of the fruty limiter channel (rename it sidechain) and press on route to this track only. This way youll have a ghost kick and you can manipulate the rate of the sidechain via where you put the ghost kick
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 21060

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

theres a basic sidechain flp showing you what i mean
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
essenthy
essenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MC
Tokyo-3
MC Status: 19518492

1 - click on you kick mixer channel then select " sidechain to this channel " on the channel that you want to be sidechained
2 - put a fruity limiter on any mixer chanel that you want to be sidechained, click on " comp " instead of limit, selec "1" on the comp forme , turn threshold and ratio til you get it the way you want

and remember that you can save your fruity limiter preset sidechaine config, so next time the only thing you have to do, is to sidechaine the kick chanel to another chanel, load up your fruity limiter, and you're done

------------------
essenthy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Greenstorm33
Regular Freak
Greenstorm33 is just really niceGreenstorm33 is just really niceGreenstorm33 is just really niceGreenstorm33 is just really nice
Pennsylvania
MC Status: 360

All those right click options from the arrow thing are just macros to speed up the routing process; you don't actually need them. "side-chain to this track only" routes the currently selected track to that track with the sc volume (the little knob that appears above a routing arrow when it's activated) at 0. It also turns off the routing to any other track (including the master, which all tracks are routed to by default). So to reverse it, just turn off routing to the track by left clicking the arrow, then re-route it to the master or wherever by activating the arrow on that track. To route a side-chain to multiple tracks, all you have to do is select the track with the kick or whatever, then left click to turn on the routing arrow for all the tracks you want it to go to, turning the routing volume to 0 for each one (to make it a pure side-chain rather than a send).

edit: and as essenthy said, the "side-chain to this track" macro should allow multiple scs from one track if you're too cool to manually turn down the sc volume

Last edited by Greenstorm33; 26-02-2014 at 06:53 PM..
Greenstorm33 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
Mister_Lister
Minor Glitch
Mister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I keep it simple, and either use GrossBeat or KickStart, but I understand the satisfaction of using an actual compressor

Advertisements

Mister_Lister is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote