slice to midi in Ableton VS reason REX
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 20-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
slice to midi in Ableton VS reason REX

which one do you like more and why?
Do you see any advantages or disadvantages to either?

For some reason I find that for breaks ableton chopping to midi ends up being harder to work with if you want to try to get complex and make some drum n bass or something.....

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts
Re: slice to midi in Ableton VS reason REX

Have you tried the nurse rex inside Kong, where you can put samples to a drum pad. I need to work with Ableton more to have an opinion. I have heard that is one of its strengths, chopping audio.

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252

Oh man, slice to midi is one of my go to features in Live. I use it on everything. literally. Vocals, guitar, bass, drums. You can turn anything into percussion with the right settings/effects chain.
Also creating slicing presets in Live is super easy and really powerful.
But to be fair, I've never used Reason

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dataf1ow
Muse-ic (20-04-2014)
Old 22-04-2014, 04:31 AM   #4
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataf1ow View Post
Oh man, slice to midi is one of my go to features in Live. I use it on everything. literally. Vocals, guitar, bass, drums. You can turn anything into percussion with the right settings/effects chain.
Also creating slicing presets in Live is super easy and really powerful.
But to be fair, I've never used Reason
How about getting something to stay in tempo. Lets say I want to chop a break each transient to midi. to fit in tempo with a project. I should warp the audio first right to whatever tempo the project is?
Old 22-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts

Try demos of both? This kind of question will just get people saying that the program they use is capable of doing what you want.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
henryspencer
Digital Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Try demos of both? This kind of question will just get people saying that the program they use is capable of doing what you want.
I have both!!!! I want to hear opinions of others that use both. I love rewiring but I feel when I make drum n bass I want to shy away from using ableton cause something about the dr rex seems just better and I want to know if Im missing something.
Old 22-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649318
Thanked 5,001 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryspencer View Post
How about getting something to stay in tempo. Lets say I want to chop a break each transient to midi. to fit in tempo with a project. I should warp the audio first right to whatever tempo the project is?
You font need to warp it for tempo purposes because once its sliced at the trsnsient you are just placing the individual hits where ever you want them. You do, however, have to have warp selected because it identifies the transients via the warp markers it places. You can then transfer the rack to any project regardless of the projects tempo and it will fit because the point of slice to midi is to manually resequence the slices however you like.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
henryspencer (24-04-2014)
Old 22-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Yes, I use Nurse Rex inside Korg. Each pad of Korg triggers different part of a loop inside Nurse Rex.
And then sometimes i trigger Korg pads using Redrum of something else.

Last edited by arm23; 22-04-2014 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: mistake

------------------
Looking for inspiration and free secondhand hardware.
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to arm23
henryspencer (24-04-2014)
Old 25-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #9
henryspencer
Digital Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
You font need to warp it for tempo purposes because once its sliced at the trsnsient you are just placing the individual hits where ever you want them. You do, however, have to have warp selected because it identifies the transients via the warp markers it places. You can then transfer the rack to any project regardless of the projects tempo and it will fit because the point of slice to midi is to manually resequence the slices however you like.
Ok I think I understand ...

My other question is let's say you warp a loop don't you have to be careful not to drag too many transients right on point for fear of ruining the groove if the loop once it's chopped to midi ?
Ideally shouldn't you have it so that when it goes to midi some hits are off the grid a bit so that if you wanted to do some break chopping where you use chunks of the midi break you would retain the groove ?
Old 25-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
Roland_Abuser
Radial Developer
Roland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to behold
Good `Ol Yorkshire
MC Status: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryspencer View Post
Ok I think I understand ...

My other question is let's say you warp a loop don't you have to be careful not to drag too many transients right on point for fear of ruining the groove if the loop once it's chopped to midi ?
Ideally shouldn't you have it so that when it goes to midi some hits are off the grid a bit so that if you wanted to do some break chopping where you use chunks of the midi break you would retain the groove ?

When you chop a loop which has a groove to midi each block will appear just off the piano roll grid so you can see where they should go (if that makes sense). I may be wrong but I think if you then re-arrange said loop, when you move the pieces around they will also snap to just off the grid (where the original groove was) as well as the exact divisions so that you can choose whether to keep the groove or quantize your new arrangement.

Hope that doesn't just seem like a mash of words; I've just woken up!
Roland_Abuser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #11
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252

Even if you choose to slice on 16ths or 32nds on a loop that has groove and keep all the midi notes on the grid, the groove will remain. There are really so many different ways to do it.

Advertisements

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote