Recording gear
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 26-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper
MC Status: 410
Recording gear

soo...
first of all,since im new to this forum, Hi! and tnx for all the wonderfull posts around here...lots of great stuff to read :banalama:

now, to the point.... i recently have re-started makig music, and got myself a nice novation launchpad mini(with ableton lite), a miditech garakey groove(keyboard controller) and a subzero fadercontroll mini...so for about 200 i got my little virtual studio thingy(YAAY!)i also got a patch called touchpad FX witch turns the laptop mouse pad into an xy pad(30$, but tottaly worth it)
so i have been exploring my way trough soundwaves for about 6months now and 1 month ago found some people sharing my interest into cyber-industrial-metal oriented music.....so... i found a bass, guitar and a synth player(in my country-only 2mil people-this is a monumetal task ) and we are goeing to try to jam a bit and to try find our "groove", maybe creating a band... so for that all to be, i need an audio interface-witch i have been scared to buy all this time-the reason is that i know nothing about mixers, audio interfaces, and such...
So what i would like is to have all of them playing the sound goeing to the mixer , then to the pc into the DAW, put some effects and back into the mixer.

so my questions to you are: what is the main difference between a mixer and an audio interface?
Do you think i should go for more in/outputs for the future-i see myself using another synth maybe someday, but it could well be just a controller for the DAW right?
How is the thing with latency/processing power if you run a couple vsti, and some input instrumets(i have pretty good specs-core i7+8GB RAM)?
also i have my eye now on two pieces of gear: The ALESIS Multimix 8 and the OI4Express
what would you recommand?

also sorry for my english XD

Advertisements

spejs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: a bunch of people screaming at eachother
Old 26-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043991
Thanked 7,531 Times in 4,658 Posts
Re: Recording gear

I think this is hard to beat for a band setup.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I think this is hard to beat for a band setup.

nicee....but (i forgot to mention) i am on a budget(i would spend up to 200-but that is my max)

tnx for the reply, tho XD
Old 26-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
zosomagik
Minor Glitch
zosomagik has a spectacular aura aboutzosomagik has a spectacular aura aboutzosomagik has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

If you want to track all the instruments individually, live, you're going to want an interface. A usb mixer might have eight inputs, but what it sends into your computer is only two channels. The left, and the right. So you won't be able to setup the individual channel as inputs in ableton. I hope that makes sense.

And that SOS read looks interesting, the first line had me "Neither bulky, nor expensive"

:banalama::banalama::banalama:
zosomagik is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spejs View Post
i have been exploring my way trough soundwaves for about 6months now
Is that a website for meeting other musicians?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14960

Unless you have a computer with some serious ummpf you're going to be shit out of luck on this one. Running a copy of your mix into the computer and then back out is going to create latency between effected signal and what you're playing. Not good for live bands. You could feed a reverb without any pre-delay with the interface without any problems though.

But with you're set up you should get a legitimate interface. Check out Focusrite's Saffire line, the smaller units at least.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
spejs
Minor Glitch
Koper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
Unless you have a computer with some serious ummpf you're going to be shit out of luck on this one. Running a copy of your mix into the computer and then back out is going to create latency between effected signal and what you're playing. Not good for live bands. You could feed a reverb without any pre-delay with the interface without any problems though.

But with you're set up you should get a legitimate interface. Check out Focusrite's Saffire line, the smaller units at least.
tnx man... i will look into changing my idea of the set up before we start doeing anything...i already had an idea that the latency would just build up, but since i never tried i didnt know exactly.....i looked into focusite and they do have some nice interfaces-i will definatly take into consideration buying one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Is that a website for meeting other musicians?
hahaha...no it was just a nice way to say making music(since we are making music i tought i would express in a more artish way )

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosomagik View Post
If you want to track all the instruments individually, live, you're going to want an interface. A usb mixer might have eight inputs, but what it sends into your computer is only two channels. The left, and the right. So you won't be able to setup the individual channel as inputs in ableton. I hope that makes sense.

And that SOS read looks interesting, the first line had me "Neither bulky, nor expensive"

:banalama::banalama::banalama:

true, but that is why i was looking into the alesis live mix-as i understood-but i might be wrong- the alesis live mix8 is 8in and 8out ( so that would mean that it can record all 8 channels separately-at least so i figured)am i wrong? if so an interface is definatly what i want...

this is some confusing stuff, when you dont know anything about it :killme:
Old 26-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky

Quote:
this is some confusing stuff, when you dont know anything about it :killme:
Truth. If you're band's pretty small and in no real rush an 8in/8out interface can handle all that you need to throw at it. You could record everything in one take and if there is zero latency monitoring on the box then you can route it like a traditional mixer, just digitally, to a PA. Most multi-channel interfaces will have a screen that's a small mixer for monitor mixers and where you want to send your I/O and this is standalone from your DAW, or running in a separate window typically. But the only way you would get live effects and synths going into and out of the computer with no real chance of shit going wrong you'll have to have a badass computer with some sort of PCI interface. Live audio processing is a pretty CPU intensive task.

Having a mixermixer for live sound though is invaluable. Shit goes wrong and you can just grab faders. Since you've already got some computer gear see if you can convince your other bandmates to get some live gear and you can focus on the computer side of things.

------------------
Old 27-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
spejs
Minor Glitch
Koper

Quote:
Truth. If you're band's pretty small and in no real rush an 8in/8out interface can handle all that you need to throw at it. You could record everything in one take and if there is zero latency monitoring on the box then you can route it like a traditional mixer, just digitally, to a PA. Most multi-channel interfaces will have a screen that's a small mixer for monitor mixers and where you want to send your I/O and this is standalone from your DAW, or running in a separate window typically. But the only way you would get live effects and synths going into and out of the computer with no real chance of shit going wrong you'll have to have a badass computer with some sort of PCI interface. Live audio processing is a pretty CPU intensive task.

Having a mixermixer for live sound though is invaluable. Shit goes wrong and you can just grab faders. Since you've already got some computer gear see if you can convince your other bandmates to get some live gear and you can focus on the computer side of things.
yeah....we were talking a bit yesterday, and we agreed that everyone should focus on their own instrument (in the end its a band, right) so we decided that all we really needed was an interface-still have to record and mix everything, right?

so now the set-up would be from DAW, synths, guitars, all to the mixer/interface....as i understood from the AI i could just send one signal into the speakers and another(or multiple ones) into the pc for recording...am i correct?

btw tnx, you might have just prevented a bands suecide ! XD
Old 28-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #10
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

What instrument are you playing? Is there a synth player in the band (you, maybe)? Just trying to get a picture of who does what here since that may affect the advice. If you don't have a synth guy, you could always just pre-record them, or program them into the daw, use a laptop with your soundcard outs into any stereo mixer (with a PA of course) and just hit PLAY on the session with and jam along to it...and if the drummer isn't allergic to click tracks (metal drummers should use click tracks imo) you could bounce the click down to an audio track and feed tohat through headphones to an earpeice he's using. There are some minor details i havent included but I'd say most well known metal bands I've seen in recent years try to use a click track and back tracks live, not sure if it's always through a DAW on stage but something similar (Katatonia, Tesseract etc) so it's definitely do-able.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
spejs
Minor Glitch
Koper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
What instrument are you playing? Is there a synth player in the band (you, maybe)? Just trying to get a picture of who does what here since that may affect the advice. If you don't have a synth guy, you could always just pre-record them, or program them into the daw, use a laptop with your soundcard outs into any stereo mixer (with a PA of course) and just hit PLAY on the session with and jam along to it...and if the drummer isn't allergic to click tracks (metal drummers should use click tracks imo) you could bounce the click down to an audio track and feed tohat through headphones to an earpeice he's using. There are some minor details i havent included but I'd say most well known metal bands I've seen in recent years try to use a click track and back tracks live, not sure if it's always through a DAW on stage but something similar (Katatonia, Tesseract etc) so it's definitely do-able.
well, the idea was to not have drums at all the final set up(hopefully i find a singer) would be one or two guitars, synth, vocals, maybe bass, and DAW for effects and drums....

see, what im trying-but it might not be as cool as i think-is to somehow re-do the whole industrial-cyber--metal band idea, by making it more electronic based....so that the sound would be more industrial than metal...the concept, for me is emulate the fusion of man and machine....

also in a near future im planning on buying a drum machine, but i tought that i should first see how we sound, and learn a bit of daw before another major investment...:mayonesa:
Old 28-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Hardware is nice because you plug it in; you bought something for a purpose and it happens to do that very well. There's no latency and less of a headache so of course there's more music being made! Looking back it really took 2 years of working with my DAW before I felt like I could "play" it. Get what ya'll need to get through practices and your first couple of shows. If things are going well you'll get a gear acquisition machine in motion. Unfortunately it is a perpetual motion sort of thing you've started then...

Numerical is right, a lot of metal bands are playing to a click from their DAW which is also providing backing tracks. If the computer is solid enough it could also be triggering drums. My drummer buddy, who's got a fantastic band Voyage of Slaves, uses drum triggers on his bass drums so getting through hour+ shows with intense double bass drums isn't a big deal. Hell, there was a shitty local show in my home town several months back I went to where even two of these smaller bands in a shit venue were using back tracks like this. That click could also be clutch in making sure your audience can perceive that ridiculous 7:4 section ya'll wrote one night. Polyrhythms don't mean shit if the time isn't absolute.

------------------
Old 28-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
spejs
Minor Glitch
Koper

Quote:
Get what ya'll need to get through practices and your first couple of shows. If things are going well you'll get a gear acquisition machine in motion. Unfortunately it is a perpetual motion sort of thing you've started then...
wise words... i am still getting an AI, but that will be it untill we get comfortable with each others ideas, and get a few months of serious work behind(in the mean time ill just try and save up as mutch as i can and then decide what to buy....)

btw...i tried-just for fun to record some vocals while playing synth on a DAW(no interface, just to get an impression how it all connects) and must say that the PC is holding fine and i found almost no latency-so it might just work XD .....
Old 28-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18647

a bit over 200, but might be a solution

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

dont know

------------------
(シ)// Reject all ambition to center yourself and find intuition. >> Homepage
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
spejs
Minor Glitch
Koper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotronic View Post
a bit over 200, but might be a solution

dont know

awsome! 10x, i will definatly look into it (at first sight looks nice tho)....well, if it is worth its money, im willing to wait another month or two( i kind of have stopped smoking weed and had this awsome idea to put the money i was spending on it asside for music gear, since i stopped because i found that it was blocking my creativity- 50-70 per month-right there...)
Old 28-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
well, the idea was to not have drums at all the final set up(hopefully i find a singer) would be one or two guitars, synth, vocals, maybe bass, and DAW for effects and drums....

see, what im trying-but it might not be as cool as i think-is to somehow re-do the whole industrial-cyber--metal band idea, by making it more electronic based....so that the sound would be more industrial than metal...the concept, for me is emulate the fusion of man and machine....

also in a near future im planning on buying a drum machine, but i tought that i should first see how we sound, and learn a bit of daw before another major investment...:mayonesa:

Ok cool, and no it's not weird, I've seen plenty of bands live with pre-recorded drums. In fact I saw a band in 2012 that used a sony walkman mp3 player to play the drum tracks, so you could easily go super cheap with no drummer.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
spejs
Minor Glitch
Koper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Ok cool, and no it's not weird, I've seen plenty of bands live with pre-recorded drums. In fact I saw a band in 2012 that used a sony walkman mp3 player to play the drum tracks, so you could easily go super cheap with no drummer.
hahaha...awsome!

well...im buying an ai and we are getting together next week, then i will make shure i report how was the first experience

Advertisements

Thanks to spejs
Numerical (28-03-2014)