Question regarding composition (Deep House)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
WardBrink
Regular Freak
WardBrink is currently spamming hard
Amsterdam
MC Status: 10
Question regarding composition (Deep House)

Hello guys,

I'm trying to make some music for a few months now, and know the DAW and stuff, and know how to work with synths and everything, but the thing I'm stuck with a little is how I should compose my track.

I would like to know of which parts a normal Deep House song exsist. I know there is the Kick, Claps, Open and closes Hi-hats, other percussion, Bassline, Chords, Stabs or something, but I don't know were the melody and stuff should be, on top of what I just mentione?

I know it's a pretty beginner question but I'm getting stuck at the point were I get my kicks, percussion and bassline.. If there are already a lots of threads about this, please send me there. And also I don't know the right term for this but composition seem right to me.

Also I know there is not a 'standard' composition but I want some base to build upon.

Advertisements

WardBrink is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
bkwsk
Radial Developer
bkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nice
SVQ (Spain)
MC Status: 410
Re: Question regarding composition (Deep House)

The first thing you should do is decide on the groove of your tune. Spend some time programming your hihat / percussion patterns and playing with different swings / groove values (if you're going for the jackin' house feel then go full swing on the 1/16ths, etc). After that it's a matter of what you're going for: in some cases the bass and some chords every bar can be enough if you're automating delays and playing with FX and such. In some other cases you might go for the call and response structure, so you program one bar (or two beats or whatever) of a synth or whatever and change for the other two, and so on. Or you're going for the jazzy feel and you just drop some patterns after humanizing them and go for a progression of solos of different instruments. It's all up to you mate, endless possibilities when approaching Deep House. Search for a tune that sounds somewhat like something you'd like to compose, analyze its elements and how they interact, and decide from there.

------------------
If you want to check out some of my music:

bkwsk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
WardBrink
Regular Freak
Amsterdam

Thank you for your answer, made things a lot clearer and it gives confidence. I now almost got a full track but I think it's hard to not make it boring. I chose for an intro-chorus-verse-chorus-outro build up, but it seems to get boring after some while. I dont know if I need more atmospheric sounds or more variation in synths maybe, or just the an extended melody with more variation.

Is it possible to post the track here? Since I only got 10 posts.
Old 26-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardBrink View Post
Thank you for your answer, made things a lot clearer and it gives confidence. I now almost got a full track but I think it's hard to not make it boring. I chose for an intro-chorus-verse-chorus-outro build up, but it seems to get boring after some while. I dont know if I need more atmospheric sounds or more variation in synths maybe, or just the an extended melody with more variation.

Is it possible to post the track here? Since I only got 10 posts.
Go ahead and post a link and I can look. maybe you need to break link up. (check forum rules first maybe)

What I try and do is feel what the song needs. When does it get boring after the 7th kick or after 30sec? Whenever it feels meh I feel I need to add something / come up with something new. I usually go back to basics. If I have a bass I like then I try and just add variations to it. The variations can be extreme but I try and keep it together with original. Then you can change all other sounds you have to fit with the new bass. Or you keep one element as it is (say bass) and then start trying to change the others. And if you feel the sounds themselves are overused within the song then try add something new. Browse some sounds when you find something you like try and fit it in somehow, just try and make it work. If it doesn't scrap it search for a new sound. Repeat over and over till you have something you like. Make new section of song play around with this sound, try make it center of attention for 30sec and have everything else "back it up". this can later be a breakdown or maybe an idea for a whole new song.

experiment over and over and do not limit yourself to what you think should be in the song.

see how far you can take whatever basics you have. add more and more and more. then decide what to keep, what to scrap later. just try and find sounds that fit together. you can always change melodies if needed and patterns, rhythm etc later.

I've had projects I just deleted all patterns and melodies in keeping all the setups for instruments and starting fresh maybe a new genre new tempo.

dont limit yourself.

also sometimes I think its good to let go of the "genre" concept. sometimes its good to try and make deep house. at other times just try and make something cool you like scrap genre
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
WardBrink
Regular Freak
Amsterdam

Very usefull comment Crude_beats. I think exactly what I'm doing is limit myself to the things I have, because I'm like 'scared' to change something, resulting in something crappy. I will try what you say in my next track.

Well this is the track I'm pretty happy about, altrough I think it gets boring after some time. (I know vocals also add an interesting dimension so I'm trying to learn that now )

soundclo ud.com/ward-brink/ward-brink-as-kids-fly
Old 07-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

I think it sounds really nice. The bass is pretty varied for a house song and keeps interest throughout. Sure a lead, variation within the organ type chords or something else could probably lift it a bit higher.

Do not forget to play with fade ins/outs, echo, reverb etc. Automation also brings variation.

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote