Did I cheat? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 13-05-2017, 05:24 AM   #21
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 42460
Re: Did I cheat?

Advertisements

Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
DChowski (29-05-2017)
Old 13-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #22
Planetation
IDMf's latest spammer
Planetation is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRR View Post
Newcomer, so forgive me if it's a stupid question.

In a recent track I used a couple of risers from a sample pack, but I feel like I cheated in not creating them myself from scratch. Am I right to feel that I cheated? If I did, then presumably I should also feel that I shouldn't use synth presets.
In fact maybe I shouldn't even play my analogue piano because I didn't create the 'piano' sound myself.
DRR
If it doesn't make the track sound generic then go for it. There are no rules.

Sent from my NEM-L21 using Tapatalk
Planetation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 01:22 AM   #23
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

I thought using loops was cheating, so I programmed my own using samples. I then thought using samples was cheating, so I recorded real drums. I then thought that programming it was cheating, so I learned to play drums for real. I then thought using bought drums was cheating, so I learned to make my own. I then thought using premade skins was cheating, so I killed a goat and skinned it. I then thought that that was cheating too, so I grew my own goat from a baby goat. I also think that is cheating, but Im not sure where to go from here. I havent made any music lately, what with the goat farming and all."

Just sayin...
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 02:20 AM   #24
Vault O)))
IDMF Resident Shitposter
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Meth Town, FL
MC Status: 61910
Thanked 1,238 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrsal View Post
I then thought using premade skins was cheating, so I killed a goat and skinned it.
Hail Satan, brother / sister :notafinga:

------------------

Need a voice? It's free
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
degenerates like you belong on a cross
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 03:45 AM   #25
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10610

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Nothing much else to say really. 110% this. Electronic music is literally the only artform where it seems there is this silly expectation that every single little thing be created out of thin air. Nothing wrong with filling in the nooks and crannies with some premade stuff.
Not sure I get this exactly. Wouldn't music electronic music be the genre with the most stuff not being created out of thin air? Loops, Samples, Etc? Personally I feel I always want to make everything. Mostly because I want to learn as much as I can about how to do things. That being said, at the end of the day all that matters is the end result (to your listener that is). They don't care how you got there. Then again, when you are doing things your way, you are more likely to come up with something unique.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 04:50 AM   #26
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9560

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
Wouldn't music electronic music be the genre with the most stuff not being created out of thin air? Loops, Samples, Etc? Personally I feel I always want to make everything.
I think it's good to bring something original to the table, but that might be a nice melody or beat sequence. For example, if you make melody-heavy stuff and just want to be able to play some key, pad or pluck-type sound, there is no reason not to use presets. I like sound design, so I often spend more time on it, but that's just personal preferences and not always good for my projects ^^

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #27
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 3060

Quote:

In a recent track I used a couple of risers from a sample pack, but I feel like I cheated in not creating them myself from scratch. Am I right to feel that I cheated? If I did, then presumably I should also feel that I shouldn't use synth presets.
In fact maybe I shouldn't even play my analogue piano because I didn't create the 'piano' sound myself.
DRR
Drum loops is only thing I can get from these sample packs. Sometimes not even that.. Probably only loop I end up using in all of my tracks is percusion drum loop, just coz I hate making it myself.

Yea, like others said, it's normal. Everyone does that.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 03:52 AM   #28
Bluesh1ft
Sample Destroyer
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2710

Of Course Its Cheating! You shouldn't used sampled acoustic instruments as well. You should be playing the real thing. But not only that! You need to learn wood carving to make that perfect drum for that perfect drum sound. That will take you 5 years to learn and 10 years to master both the instruments you want to use and crafting them. You also need to code your own software and build your own circuit boards for the electronic analogue gear. expect 10-20 years for that. And you'll also need to develop chord progressions and melodies that are not remotely like anything ever created. So when your 80 years old, you should be ready to make your own music.

I have mad respect for sound engineering and design and you should learn to design sounds for the sole reason of creating exactly what you want. You'll often have to compromise the sound that's inside your head when you use samples. However did Mozart create his own instruments? This is my philosophy "Good blacksmith, make me a sword and I will wield it" but there are some exceptions.

Here's a list of practical reasons to become a tweaker. (no, not that kind)

1. can help things fit in the mix better

2. can be truer to the concepts in your mind.

3. can create a fresh sound

4. can be a time saver instead of filtering through thousands of samples.

5. can make your music more dynamic. samples in certain ways are static. If you have more control over your sound, you have the ability to sound more dynamic.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bluesh1ft
Muse-ic (29-05-2017)
Old 29-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #29
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire
MC Status: 810

Well summed up and 5 good practical reasons.
DRR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #30
Faseen
IDMf's latest spammer
Faseen is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
I think your issues go deeper than music. I don't think I cheat when I play a piano piece on the piano. Music is meant to be played, meant to influence. We take, share, copy and experience. Quit thinking about it.
We are all dwarfs on the shoulders of giants...

Most of creative art is just copying.
Faseen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #31
localspace
Analog Lurker
localspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

Nothing wrong with samplepacks, IMO.. it's convenient and convenience is always good. It is a problem if you only use sample packs.. then you're just a really slow DJ, lol...and I don't see how you'd ever understand what's going on in your track that way. There's a whole generation of kids out there that think that's what producing is though, and that's kinda sad.. But then again, if they make great music, who am I to whine? One man's cheat is another man's shortcut. I'm not trying to impress anyone with the way I work, just the results. Only they count.

I don't use them that much simply for personal, workflow reasons though. I make better music when I'm jamming. Flipping through a list of samples (90% of which I don't like) kills my inspiration, ruins the vibe I'm producing from, etc.. it doesn't work for me. But I'll happily use the most played out presets and samples if that's right for my track.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #32
sefrcoko
Regular Freak
sefrcoko will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I don't think samples are cheating. Presets are fine too in my book. I do however think that loops can be cheating, but that's a whole other ball of wax. It's not black and white, but there are extremes. It's silly to think we need to create everything including the instrument from scratch, but equally silly to take a few pre-made pieces and call it your own. Ymmv...
sefrcoko is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #33
stray medicine
Binch
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 20460

That's for you to decide.
Will it sound similar to what other people make with the same loops/samples if that's all you use? More than likely.
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #34
mcuhsaircu
Regular Freak
mcuhsaircu is currently spamming hard

I think it's hard enough to create something that has an emotional impact and sounds good to yourself and other people. Using samples can aid that process but it's still a hard task in of itself.

I don't think it's cheating as long as you're happy with the result and you get the right clearance if you're publishing it.
mcuhsaircu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #35
hotwatermusic
Master of the LFO
hotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2510

It is not cheating. What matters is that you create your own song, that implies the chord progressions and melodies only.

Did Prodigy cheat?

They were extremely creative.

Last edited by hotwatermusic; 05-05-2018 at 08:37 PM..
hotwatermusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to hotwatermusic
Vault O))) (25-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #36
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269484308
Thanked 3,214 Times in 2,115 Posts

I'm currently forcing myself to make a whole song using one shots from a sample pack rather that synthesising every single sound.
I'm struggling with that mindset, but at the end of the day I'm 100% aware that the end result is not dictated by the sounds you used, but by what you did with them...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
beigeboxgone (07-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #37
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud of
Munich
MC Status: 1110

I feel the same. I feel bad when I use samples, so I try to do everything myself. And it motivates me from the beginning. With 17 years old, I bought my first Sampler, the Akai s950 and everytime I hear a cool sample from the lib, I ask myself how this sample has being created? Because every sample is just a programmed synth or real audio in a studio environment. It makes me nuts when I don't get it right. I still use drumsamples to stack them up, because I don't know how to make fat, huge drums. I do get it right to make these modern, thin drums - that's no problem for me. But these 80ies 90ies Sample-drumsounds...still a problem, even with using gated reverbs. And you get your own sound style - that's good.

------------------
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #38
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:

DRR
It depends how the samples and presets are used. I almost always cut parts out of drum loops from sample packs to enhance my drum grooves.

Advertisements

Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote