Dub Techno Production and Techniques
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
RDMT
Analog Lurker
RDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MCRDMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 136057
Dub Techno Production and Techniques

Here are a just a few tips on getting getting started... eventually this thread will grow with more advanced features with contributions from more advanced idmfers but here is just the basics for this genre.

lets that with that huge wide ambient riff that is the bones of dub techno. In my demonstration i will be using cubase 6.

so lets fire up cubase or your daw and open up a simple analog type vst like cubase prologue or abletons analog.
Lets select the sawtooth osc since its very rich in harmonics. we will also want to be using a 24db lowpass filter since this will let us get some nifty lower/mid tones. we now need to set our voices to more than 1 lol.. i would say at least 4. lets create a few bars worth of the same chord, and we want a slightly low octave. turn on the cycle mode and repeat it. it should sound pretty harsh and gross, but deep as well.

now lets get to the soundgoodizer part.. the reverb..

lets now slap a simple reverb on this and shape it to our liking. lets start by setting the reverb time to somewhere along the lines of 10 to 13 seconds. this should have a drastic effect.. now move down the diffusion and size to pretty nominal values so we can create a clearer image of the sound and mix around 60 percent for even more clarity. bingo.. you should now have a pretty deep chord. tho something is still missing.. we also need some simple ping pong delay going on. fiddle with the settings a bit.. tho i recommend starting with 1/4 timing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f55kd3n51eswlep

Advertisements

RDMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648
Re: Dub Techno Production and Techniques

Good thread RDMT, I'd like to see this take off
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
warehau5mafi
Ghostly
warehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MCwarehau5mafi is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 3209387

filter envelope to let some attack through on your chord stabs works really well.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Oh, the "audio engine" card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Real men glitch manually!
warehau5mafi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
nickyjmusic
Regular Freak
nickyjmusic is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

In Reason-

Thor, 2 wavetable Raising sine waves, turn off x-fade and position to 0. Also like to experiment with other wavetable forms, analog waveforms and the multi osc.
little bit of tape distortion and reso. Bit of unison.
3/16 delay. maybe a ping pong delay on the RV7000 or the pan room or stereo echoe patch on the RV7.
Then play with the filter!
nickyjmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Skudge!
Old 15-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
nickyjmusic
Regular Freak
nickyjmusic is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Anyone got examples of their work? I havnt uploaded much of my dub techno stuff but here's a deep house track i made a while back with similar synths...

http://soundcloud.com/nickyjmusic/i-o-nicky-j

Any questions about how i made anything then ask.

Would love to get this thread busy, really loving dub techno at the moment....

Cheers! Nick.
nickyjmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
bpollen
Learning The Ropes
bpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MCbpollen is a savage MC
MC Status: 280419

Here you have two youtube channels with some good Dub-Techno tips and tricks.

*NB: Both guys use Ableton but even if you use another DAW it's worth chekking out!

Atabeylive:
http://www.youtube.com/user/atabeylive?feature=watch

Fingers In The Noise:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FingersInTheNoise/videos

And for everyone who is into Dub in general, check out this website for more dub techniques (+ free vst's).

http://www.interruptor.ch/

Enjoy'
bpollen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
OnyxNecron
Analog Lurker
OnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MC
The Basemet of Eternal Darkness
MC Status: 134731

What are some good techniques for builds and drops? I've been using the snare rush and sweeps. Are there any other good ways to start and end a segment?

Advertisements

------------------

I've made dubstep in Audacity.
OnyxNecron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote