Drum Machine Help/Lust
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210
Drum Machine Help/Lust

So I am thinking about getting the Tempest by dave smith and roger lynn, but I have maschine. Problem for me is I bought maschine when I was first starting to produce so it was a test of buying gear for me. Now I am a lot more experienced, and I find personally I like the customization or the sound design part of the maschine, but I don't like the mpc format. I actually prefer the drum machine like 808/909 kind of layout.

This along with liking a synth over a digital or sampled sound brings me to the tempest. Is there anything you would say would compete with it? Maybe that electron or perhaps you think machine can achieve that level of immersion and sound?

Either way I'd love it for someone who owns one or who has heard it to kind of let me know there thoughts and comparison if you have the elektron or something else. I can't access them and because these things are kinda expensive I'd rather have maximum comparison or knowledge before buying one.

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564980
Thanked 7,481 Times in 5,281 Posts
Re: Drum Machine Help/Lust

A few things to consider:

It has an incomplete OS that DSI seems to have abandoned. Many people have said it makes a better. synth than drum machine. As far as creating your own sounds Maschine clealry has a wider sound pallete.

I would say that the Elektron Rytm is the probably the most interesting X0X style drum machine out there right now. Though a Machine Drum UW would also have a large sound range. The new electribe sampler has a lot of posssabilities since it has synths inside it, can sample external audio, and can resample itself. You could do a lot of layering and its redicluously easy to use.

Point being, I think the Tempest is the least bang for buck when it comes to xox style drum synths on the market today.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
mnkvolcno (11-06-2016)
Old 03-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478858
Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,054 Posts

I would still get one, for its 6 Evolver voices...

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I would still get one, for its 6 Evolver voices...
I didnt know it had evolver voices....

------------------
Old 03-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

Synth engine is the same I think, so a beast.
And the latest Os update was in January, so not too long ago... It's a tough battle with the Elektron boxes, I think the Elektrons win at workflow

------------------
Old 04-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I actually had never heard of the uw until you mentioned it. I will look into it.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
It has evolver voices?

Do the elektrons have sequencers?
For me its sound and layering and the most creative of drums

------------------
Old 04-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

According to the Sound On Sound review: The Tempest's six voices are based on a multitimbral synthesizer architecture that's not a million miles from DSI's Evolver range of synths. Each voice has two analogue oscillators, a sub-oscillator and two digital oscillators eager to spit out percussion samples or other waveforms. These sources (plus an internal feedback loop from the main output) are processed by analogue low-pass and high-pass filters, aided and abetted by fast LFOs and snappy envelopes, and further honed by the modulation matrix. All of this adds up to an extraordinarily deep engine for a mere 'drum machine'!

I used to get very good kicks and snares from the Evolver and my synth skills weren;t that good back then...

The Elektron boxes are all build around a sequencer. The A4 is a briliant synth, the Analog Rytm is a drum synth with added samplers, so you can layer synth and samples on a single voice, I don't own one but it seems to be brilliant.

And the sequencers on those machines are great, parameter locks, the ability to have per step automations is really great.
Plus the A4 and AR have overbridge, so in Live (and on other daw to follow) you can open the hardware as a plugin and stream/record the audio from the hardware on multiple channels via usb. And automate the hardware from the software if you want to...

I own an A4 and an Octatrack, a really good combo.

------------------
Old 05-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #8
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

Nice I am leaning to the tempest because I feel it will be able to give me the more abstrakt product, but I do still kind of go back and forth because the elektron seems like it will be the better drum synth

------------------
Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1842727

Was pondering the same a few years back.n regards to DM'S.
I have Maschine and find it extremely versatile.
Tempest is age lot of money a fend a fends mentioned is more then a fends DM. However I have read many posts where people have not got on with programming agendas it's very versatile agendas nd it's depth synth person.
I own an Elektron Ak and the same seq programming takes some time to wrap your head around and is not overly intuitive.
There is a 808 programming style template for maschine. If you are interested pm me and ill drop you are link to download.
Personally I would consider the new Tr8s from roland. I are most purchased are most Miami 808 but backed out at the last minute.
As with everything I would demo before buying of the back of forum comments.
Gearslutz can be a good resource of info.

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Was pondering the same a few years back.n regards to DM'S.
I have Maschine and find it extremely versatile.
Tempest is age lot of money a fend a fends mentioned is more then a fends DM. However I have read many posts where people have not got on with programming agendas it's very versatile agendas nd it's depth synth person.
I own an Elektron Ak and the same seq programming takes some time to wrap your head around and is not overly intuitive.
There is a 808 programming style template for maschine. If you are interested pm me and ill drop you are link to download.
Personally I would consider the new Tr8s from roland. I are most purchased are most Miami 808 but backed out at the last minute.
As with everything I would demo before buying of the back of forum comments.
Gearslutz can be a good resource of info.
Thanks! I actually own a tr-8 and an original 808. The 808 was a lucky find in my step fathers garage. I use the tr-8, but for me its more about how far can I go in this machine and create something while it being immersive at the same time. I'm leaning to the tempest now because people are saying the elektron can feel limiting at times as where the tempest is like a drum synth. The tr-8 to me feels limiting to be honest I feel like it could have been more. Yeah I was thinking what if I get neither and just upgrade to maschine studio lol. Save money, and time on the learning curve. I really wish the tempest was a bit cheaper though I don't need it to be a dsi synth as I already have a prophet so I don't need the tempest to be a synth.

------------------
Old 29-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

Having owned both the tempest and now having the analog RYTM Ill say that the Tempest is a better sytnth groovebox than drum machine IMHO. When I owned mine I absolutely loved it (as Automegeddon will attest ) for me it was basically used as "selected ambient works vol 1" in a box, the only thing its missing is built in delay and reverb.

I now have the analog RYTM, its a better box for percussion and beat driven music than the tempest imho. The synthesis options are not as advanced as the tempest but the filters and effects are characterful, the ability to load 1gb of your own samples via usb (including single cycle samples for very decent synthesis) make it great for sound generation. But where the RYTM really wins out is the sequencer, the ability to micro edit every step to the Nth degree and the fact that it can do polyrythms make it amazing.

But and this last point Im about to make means that the RYTM is possibly one of the most creative live machines available, the performance mode of the RYTM transforms the 12 pressure sensitive pads into macro controls for any of the synthesis parameters of any track, any pads pressure can be used as as a mod source for filters, fx, distortion, drum synth parameters, sample choice,sample loop start & end points lfo speed, etc. As you will note the possibilities are very wide and give great scope for experimentation.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

went with the maschine studio because it saves time, money, immersion I needed, and no learning curve.

------------------
Old 29-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
went with the maschine studio because it saves time, money, immersion I needed, and no learning curve.
Overall if you have no other hardware that was probably a good choice IMO.

------------------
Old 29-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #14
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1842727

Overall good call. It's a very/extremely versatile maschine. Although not standalone which is many peoples gripe, it does allow a one stop shop for sampling, resampling, editing, routing, plugin hosting and the midi routing, daw integration is very useful.

------------------
My Tinkerings
https://hearthis.at/mystafx/
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Not forgetting the awesome Beat Battle Subs
https://hearthis.at/mfxxx/
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 04:49 AM   #15
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

I have other hardware synths , but I figure with a god mix those can play well with the sampled and digital synthesized kicks, and I always have the 808 or tr8 to resort to if I need them

------------------
Old 30-09-2015, 05:32 AM   #16
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Maschine is actually a fantastic sequencer for external hardware

------------------
Old 30-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #17
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

anyone use the Akai Wolf? Looks pretty fun/affordable/intuitive. I need to look into it a little more.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #18
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashima View Post
anyone use the Akai Wolf? Looks pretty fun/affordable/intuitive. I need to look into it a little more.
This one?

Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #19
Automageddon
Administrator
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Maschine is actually a fantastic sequencer for external hardware
This.

In the end I let it go because I wanted to go hardware only, but Maschine is an amazing tool.

------------------
Old 01-10-2015, 02:40 AM   #20
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

I hate the wolf and the tom cat. They both sound bad to me, and I have given them chances and played on them, but I personally would not buy them.
It's not because I want an 808, 909, 707, or any other rolland synth, but rather because I just would prefer something a bit more open when it comes to drum synths.

I have never thought to use my maschine as a sequencer although I guess if it can have midi out, in, and through it can be used to sequence. Idk how one would go about that though.

I enjoy learning sequencing on my sub 37 though it makes me feel like na actual synth guy.

Advertisements

------------------