Drum machine
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Go Back » Music By Genre » Techno
Old 14-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
teckmike
Learning The Ropes
teckmike is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Drum machine

Hey guys!! Im new to this forum and dont really know where to put this. Was gonna write this in ``the studio`` forum but it ddnt let me. I am currently learning music production and would like you guys`honest opinion on a descent, not too expensive drum machine i can learn and base myself on.

My favorite type of music is techno, which is what i am aiming to create using the machine. So i guess something that sounds similiar or close to a 909 would be helpful.

Greetings from Montreal and hope you guys can guide me in the right direction!

Cheers!!

Advertisements

teckmike is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: developer- hexmode
Old 14-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
ignatius
Soundscaper
ignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MC
the northwest
MC Status: 13983882
Re: Drum machine

decent drum machine.. hardware i assume?

elektron machinedrum. takes time to get to know but is rewarding to use when you really learn it.

jomox xbase09 or 999.. though the interface isn't nearly as fun/smooth/straight forward as the elektron stuff.

short answer is.. if you want the 909 sound then just get a 909

------------------
ignatius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
teckmike
Learning The Ropes

yup, im in love with the machinedrum. and the jomox`s are pretty amazing too. but these are all over a thousand dollars, and as a full time student, its kinda hard to spend such money on products i have no clue how to use. which is why i would like to learn the basics on a machine thats under that price range.

something like the mfb 303 i guess is what im looking for... Can someone gimme an honest opinion on it? Is it worth getting?
Currently Listening To: Sp-X- Flux
Old 14-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269479108
Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,057 Posts

To be honest, you don't really need hardware, you can happily start with software, any DAW will do.
Go for Maschine if you want the physical feeling of playing hardware without the hassle and limitation of playing hardware.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

What's your budget? Must it be a pure hardware solution or is software ok?

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
teckmike
Learning The Ropes

Well im trying to budget myself at something under 1000$, which i know must be hard to find a descent machine at under that price, but since most of you guys are more into the production aspect than i currently am, i thought you guys might know of a machine i dont, at under a thousand dollars.

And ya, preferably hardware. I like the fact that your actually playing a physical instrument and not be staring at a screen constantly, which is already what i do on a daily basis.

How is the maschinemikro for its functionability? I know it must have less options than the maschine (hence the ``mikro`` im assuming). Basically im looking for a beginner machine just to learn the ropes for the time being and have some fun making beats
Old 14-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Mercutio
Minor Glitch
Mercutio will become famous soon enoughMercutio will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

In the cheapest way, you can design drums from scratch with synth (ultrabeat in logic is great) ! or use emulation of 808/909... D16 makes great drumboxes.

In hardware, the first machine drum looks great. Machine is just a controller.

------------------
Free loops Minimal/click/electro/techno : http://soundcloud.com/arkodd-loop
Mercutio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Siloh
Microknight
Siloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MC
Long beach cali
MC Status: 43693

You can get like a good M-Audio drum pad for pretty cheap if thats what you are looking for like to make beats or anything like that but if you want something like fuckin awsome your gunna have to get a drum pad (machine) that aarabmuzik has and that shit is tooooo expensive but buy watever you feel you need haha
Siloh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
teckmike
Learning The Ropes

So...been looking at Korg products all day and i think ive finally found something which i like and could afford. Now just gotta decide between the em1 and er mk2... and actually find one in my area....

What caught my attention? This...

Exactly the kind of machine i was looking for. Anyone have one of these? Or the em1?
Old 14-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckmike View Post
So...been looking at Korg products all day and i think ive finally found something which i like and could afford. Now just gotta decide between the em1 and er mk2... and actually find one in my area....

What caught my attention? This...

(Drum Machine) Korg ER MK II - Techno/Minimal/Groove (Demo 1) - YouTube

Exactly the kind of machine i was looking for. Anyone have one of these? Or the em1?
firstly... om some of those sounds sound like they were almost ripped straight from this:

i have the emx1 which is a synth version and the drum sounds are SHITE. because the one you are looking at is a sampler you can put your own sounds into it. they are incredibly fun to use and if you really tweak things you can do a lot of really cool shit with drums. the kind of stuff i do on my electribe i would never do on a computer because it's just not natural on a computer... you might not understand until you get one

but

i would advise having a good old look around first before you do get one.
also if you can stretch the budget (not too much) and get one of these second hand: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...s/korgesx1.htm

that is the latest model

i think a drum machine isnt worth it unless you go for something expensive like the machinedrum. a sampler is a great idea because it will open crazy worlds for you and probably change the way you make music. samplers like the sp404 or mpc500 wouldnt be very good for drums though compared to the electribes because of the modulation options are much better and the filters n shit... its just geared towards it a lot better (plus the 404 doesnt have velocity sensitive pads)

i dno man ill try and get some more suggestions together

sorry for rambling

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

oh shit no! im lieing! (lieing??? im going crazy) it is a dedicated drum machine! how cool

i dno man just forget everything i said!

EDIT: JESUS DO YOU RECKON MARINO STEPHANO USED ONE OF THOSE TO MAKE THAT TRACK?!?! IM GOING TO HAVE TO GET ONE NOW

------------------
Old 14-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
teckmike
Learning The Ropes

No problem brotha. Thanks for clearing some stuff up for me the esx is basically the newest model of the er your saying? Im guessing they are, since they look extremely similiar.

I basically wanna do want the guy is doing in the vid lol...thats my goal. heavy basslines and such and i think the korgs will prolly be my main option, unless i win some sort of lottery until then

Thanks for taking the time to help me clear out this dilemma :bye:
Old 14-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
No problem brotha. Thanks for clearing some stuff up for me the esx is basically the newest model of the er your saying? Im guessing they are, since they look extremely similiar.

I basically wanna do want the guy is doing in the vid lol...thats my goal. heavy basslines and such and i think the korgs will prolly be my main option, unless i win some sort of lottery until then

Thanks for taking the time to help me clear out this dilemma :bye:
no worries. no the esx is a sampler the er is just a drum machine (you cant put your own sounds into the er)

remember that it is great but it might not be your thing loading up samples into something you might want stuff to be instant

------------------
Old 19-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #14
magavan
Soundwave Mangler
magavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MC
MC Status: 125540

Electribes are fun and immediate but extremely limited compared to what you can get today and you'll eventually want to do more. I've owned every model and ended up selling all of them.

Another thing to consider is the iPad, which can be connected with USB MIDI controllers and audio interfaces if you ever want tactile controls.

Quote:
And ya, preferably hardware. I like the fact that your actually playing a physical instrument and not be staring at a screen constantly, which is already what i do on a daily basis.
I would not rule out Maschine because it can make using software actually feel like standalone hardware and not at all like what you typically experience from MIDI controllers. You never have to touch the mouse and can just use the hardware and even turn off the computer screen while you're using it.
magavan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #15
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading

Quote:
I have an ER1 mk2, its a great little box. Does some great electronic percussion & bass stuff. Not so hot on melody or effects though.

If its your first box Id actually suggest an EMX1 instead, just make sure when you get it you blank all the cheesy patterns that come with it and learn how to use the synthesis section properly.

Seriously you can pick the EMX up ridiculously cheap off ebay these days if you're willing to wait for a listing that starts at $0.99

------------------
Old 20-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
aikighost
Lemon Eater
Reading

While Im waiting for my new second hand es1 mk2 to arrive in the post I spotted this and had to post.

Yet again showing if you got tleant you can make even the oldest gear sound modern... 2 korg es1s and a DJ mixer.

------------------
Old 23-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
teckmike
Learning The Ropes

Thanks for the input. Im a bit skeptical about ebay since i know people who have bought boxes off it, only to recieve them with totally FRIED circuits. Basically paid 50 bucks for extra knobs. But i will def keep an eye out for them on ebay.

Advertisements

Currently Listening To: Terence Fixmer- When the Sun