[Electronic/Deep House?] Gate Four - Satellites
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 07-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
gatefour
Soundscaper
gatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to all
MC Status: 560
Icon7 [Electronic/Deep House?] Gate Four - Satellites

It's been a while since I've posted something here, but I finally have something to share.

A little track I did late last year, which I'm planning on releasing this along with a few others on an EP. More minimal and drawn out than the usual, maybe you'll see where my head is at these days. This isn't really deep house, it's more techno/dub techno/minimal territory to be honest. Sorry can't change the title post

Comments always welcome, hope you enjoy

Last edited by gatefour; 09-08-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
gatefour is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Electronic/Deep House?] Gate Four - Satellites.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
bolognawarrior
IDMf's latest spammer
bolognawarrior is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: [Electronic/Deep House?] Gate Four - Satellites

Your drums sound great friend... I think you should let the track breathe a little though, it seems like it's in groove mode for a lifetime. I think if you dropped out the drums every now and then and showed off those nice pads and drones, you'd have a great track. Some gentle vocals would really help bring it to life too
bolognawarrior is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584030
Thanked 7,862 Times in 5,530 Posts

I think this squarely fits in the dub techno/minimal techno category (seems like you are asking in the post title with the "deep house?")

Its about half way (around 3 min mark) when the track "goes somewhere". In a Minimal DJ mix that's a nice playground for a long interesting blend. As a stand alone track, I think a lot of people are going to fast forward or move onto the next track. After the 3 min mark I'm totally with you. Track progresses nicely. Great sounds. Mix sounds fairly decent on my akg702s.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Manix
Regular Freak
Manix is currently spamming hard
Oregon

This is cool.

I think the biggest weird thing I hear with it is the main mid synth, echoey thing thats thoughout most of the song. I think the way it takes up so much of the sound spectrum, yet echoes, it manages to overpower the rest of the song, *as well as* throw the rhythm of the song off in my mind. I think it starts happening at 4:25 when the other, higher wind sounding pads come in.

I kindof just don't like that sound in general in this song. I think everything else would sound sooo much better without it!

Everything but that sound is really great to me! Nice job man
Manix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 01:05 AM   #5
gatefour
Soundscaper
gatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Its about half way (around 3 min mark) when the track "goes somewhere". In a Minimal DJ mix that's a nice playground for a long interesting blend. As a stand alone track, I think a lot of people are going to fast forward or move onto the next track. After the 3 min mark I'm totally with you. Track progresses nicely. Great sounds. Mix sounds fairly decent on my akg702s.
Cheers, that's pretty much the intent of the long intro. I've played this track out in a a mix before and it sat to quite nicely, glad you agree

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Thanks for listening!

------------------
gatefour is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 03:41 AM   #6
E-Fence
Granular Poster
E-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1110

very nice. Thought its pretty much perfect the way it is. Wish I was patient enough to write something like this(love minimal techno but I always keep adding until it is no longer minimal.

------------------
E-Fence is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 05:20 AM   #7
Annt
IDMf's latest spammer
Annt is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognawarrior View Post
Your drums sound great friend... I think you should let the track breathe a little though, it seems like it's in groove mode for a lifetime. I think if you dropped out the drums every now and then and showed off those nice pads and drones, you'd have a great track. Some gentle vocals would really help bring it to life too
Agree on both points. Needs a bit of change and maybe some female vocal snippets, IMO, would be nice, too.

Dropping the beat (as mentioned already) or maybe adding some extra percussion or layering an extra pad or two might give it that "breathe" it needs. The pad you have playing from about 2:18 to about 6:25? In all honesty, I don't know if it's interesting enough on its own (at least in its current form) to play non-stop and keep my interest for 4 minutes straight. Not sure what you can do to change that, but figured it worth mentioning.

That said, it's a pretty solid track. Crisp EQ on my cans and I love all the elements in the track very much. Nothing seems out of place to me, which is something I usually struggle to achieve with my own music. So good job!
Annt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 05:52 AM   #8
trench
Master of the LFO
trench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MC
west midlands
MC Status: 1105359

Interesting percussion track,maybe the beat needs to be faded out and in again with some extra delay to change it round a bit.
The piece really takes off when the synths enter at the half way mark,some nice textures in there.
Very nice feel to the production, plenty of seperation .
Maybe some vocal samples would be good?
overall a good solid outing

------------------
IF THERE IS NO GOD.....................THEN WHY ARE WE WHISPERING ?

https://soundcloud.com/trench-2/if-t...-we-whispering i am the senior citize:problemofficer:n of sound
trench is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 04:32 AM   #9
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

This is great. I love the textures and the way the track builds. The weird ride cymbal that floats in and out and back again is pretty sweet. It's deep, dark and seductive. I would play this in a set.

Advertisements

Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote