Cool compositions, song structures, chord progressions, harmonies etc.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 17310
Cool compositions, song structures, chord progressions, harmonies etc.

Dead subforum is dead. How about we all share some neat, weird, or otherwise notable tunes where conventional tonality and structure is ignored or 'misused'. I'll start with an example of the kinda thing I'm thinking of.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

So here we have harmony at an, at times, very dissonant state. Wait- dissonant harmony? That doesn't sound right...
To me, this song shows how dissonance is usable and viable, and not only a bad thing to be avoided as in most pop tunes. Very apparent in the bass register, a big aura of spooky.

The structure of the song is fairly linear and not very pop at all. By linear, I mean it doesn't have verse chorus structure, but instead does a single narrative progression. It has exposition, a gradual increase in intensity, a climax, and a falling action, however the resolution is a cliffhanger.

Not to mention the stunning performance here! But my focus for this purpose is on how dissonant the notes are, even when there is harmony.

Thus is only one example. Composition of course means a lot of things, most literally meaning writing a song and deciding what instruments play what notes and when. My idea of composition is warped in the sense that we, as modern music makers and DAW users, can compose with sounds that aren't instruments or strictly note-based. I started with something that is just funky notes.

Last edited by Tsachi; 05-08-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Iyashi Sound
Soundscaper
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 14460
Re: Cool compositions, song structures, chord progressions, harmonies etc.

According to the link below (from Björk's own website), the music was apparently improvised using a game controller and a special "app", that seems to have been available on the website at some time - but appear to have been taken down now.

How exactly the app worked isn't fully explained, but it sounds to me like the scales used are still diatonic and closely related. The tuning of the organ sounds like a it's a modern tempered instrument (with equidistant scale intervals).

The vocal parts seem to stay mostly in the same key throughout.

Like one of the commenters on the Youtube link you posted, - the organ part also immediately made me think of French organist and composer Olivier Messiaen, who has definitely been a source of inspiration to Björk. One version of her song "Cover Me" directly incorporates a part of the second movement ("Les Bergers") from his organ work “La Nativité du Seigneur" (1935):

But anyway, If you're not a Messiaen fan already, I can definitely recommend checking out some of his stuff

A personal favourite of mine is the gargantuan-sized suite of piano pieces: "Vingt Regards sur l'enfant-Jésus" ("Twenty contemplations on the infant Jesus") from 1944 - which in my version (a 3-CD set with pianist Anton Batagov) lasts about two and a half hours(!).

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 05-08-2018 at 01:47 PM..
Iyashi Sound is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 36060

this is your post 666 btw. all this talk about tritones. I say we burn tsachi at the stake. Do what must be done.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post

The structure of the song is fairly linear and not very pop at all. By linear, I mean it doesn't have verse chorus structure, but instead does a single narrative progression. It has exposition, a gradual increase in intensity, a climax, and a falling action, however the resolution is a cliffhanger.
The music theory term for this is "through composed" fyi.. if you're wanting to do some research.
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Tsachi (06-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Also, not sure if you're into jazz at all, but this is maybe my favorite album of all time

it's amazing in so many ways that I won't gush about right now, but for one thing, there is a ton of expertly crafted dissonance. To me this album really strikes a balance between being "out" and being listenable. Herbie Hancock's comping on this album is so great. So sparse and perfect.
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Mark Ames (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Mark Ames
Regular Freak
Mark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of light
Ventura County California
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
Dead subforum is dead. How about we all share some neat, weird, or otherwise notable tunes where conventional tonality and structure is ignored or 'misused'. I'll start with an example of the kinda thing I'm thinking of.

So here we have harmony at an, at times, very dissonant state. Wait- dissonant harmony? That doesn't sound right...
To me, this song shows how dissonance is usable and viable, and not only a bad thing to be avoided as in most pop tunes. Very apparent in the bass register, a big aura of spooky.

Not to mention the stunning performance here! But my focus for this purpose is on how dissonant the notes are, even when there is harmony.

Thus is only one example. Composition of course means a lot of things, most literally meaning writing a song and deciding what instruments play what notes and when. My idea of composition is warped in the sense that we, as modern music makers and DAW users, can compose with sounds that aren't instruments or strictly note-based. I started with something that is just funky notes.
Well.... that was quite a trip. Beautiful piece full of tasty production techniques and a snappy happy theme.

I didn’t hear much dissonance... other than for effect. I heard C Major. Plucked most of it out on the piano while listening... so I’m a little confused by your example. Maybe I need to listen again and focus on the bass this time...

On the subject of dissonance... a D and an Eb played a half-step apart at the same time is strictly speaking - a dissonance. Play a C an octave lower at the same time and you have a C Minor with a suspended 2nd... still a dissonance but now with context and implied resolution (the D tends to want
to fall to the adjacent C)

So... dissonance is all about context. Set up expectations then do something unexpected. Tension and resolution. The trick is ... if you go too far outside the box (the expectation) then it’s not dissonance... it’s dumb.
Mark Ames is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Mark Ames
Regular Freak
Mark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of lightMark Ames is a glorious beacon of light
Ventura County California
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Also, not sure if you're into jazz at all, but this is maybe my favorite album of all time

it's amazing in so many ways that I won't gush about right now, but for one thing, there is a ton of expertly crafted dissonance. To me this album really strikes a balance between being "out" and being listenable. Herbie Hancock's comping on this album is so great. So sparse and perfect.
Now that's what I'm talking about... controlled dissonance. Never heard this album but WoW what a gem.

I'm very into Jazz, although as a performer I find it daunting.. but keep hacking at it. The Miles discography is so vast... even though he is one of my favorites it's hard to be familiar with more than a bit of it.

If you haven't heard it, try Panthalassa. It is on the other side of the cusp of moving into Jazz Rock Fusion. Sorcerer is 1967 and still firmly in the "Kind of Blue" style, Panthalassa is 1969. It's leading up to Bitch's Brew. I've heard that Miles' move away from Bebop into Fusion was prompted by hearing Hendrix at the Monterrey Pop Festival. Great story if true...

Hendrix... now there's some fodder for a discussion about dissonance!

Thank you for expanding my Miles...

Advertisements

Mark Ames is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote