White noise competition - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 25-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #61
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18052519
Thanked 1,050 Times in 787 Posts
Re: White noise competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
Pink noise, brown noise, they're all white noise by the time I'm finished with them.

or red noise by the time im finished with them....

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #62
alan_fujitsu
Minor Glitch
alan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond reputealan_fujitsu has a reputation beyond repute
Montréal
MC Status: 9678

Cool competition, I might just give it a shot. The ones so far are pretty impressive.

------------------
alan_fujitsu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #63
Empty Reach
Banned
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

Tried to make a wind and rain ambience from white noise today...

This isn't an entry or anything but I thought I might as well upload it

Last edited by Empty Reach; 20-08-2011 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: switching track to private mode
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #64
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Reach View Post
Tried to make a wind and rain ambience from white noise today...

This isn't an entry or anything but I thought I might as well upload it

I like it dude, constantly evolving organic non looping random action sounds.
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #65
Empty Reach
Banned
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC

Im just listening to it again now on my headphones (for the first time)

What I intended to sound like rain hitting the ground really needs some variation, I just uploaded this cause I thought it was interesting, I bet there's people out there who could make something like that sound perfectly natural like a recording
Old 26-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #66
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18052519
Thanked 1,050 Times in 787 Posts

i was just playing around with reaktor and some white noise. i was randomly routing things in illogical places without any thought to see what would happen. the result was frequencies out of the hearing range by i dont even know how much and at volumes of more than 100dB over my meters limit.
my spectrum analyser completely crashed and i ended up with 3 horizontal stripes across the spectrum and a dollar symbol for an RMS reading. it sounded great though but too much like noise to record.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #67
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve

I was using skrewell the other day inside reaktor and I was trying to figure out if you could change the oscillator voices to noise but I have no idea how to tell what the voices are in skrewell so I gave up for the time being and went back to my initial noise track.
Old 26-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #68
CounterVulture
Microknight
CounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MC
MC Status: 1129890

This contest is a seriously cool idea. I joined the forum after browsing and seeing this thread and the entries. There's some really interesting stuff so far (especially the astrobeats entry).

I'm going to try to put something together myself. I've been producing mostly on electribes recently, so I'm going to load a white noise sample into my ESX and see if I can make something interesting and/or cohesive out of it.

------------------
CounterVulture is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #69
phading
Minor Glitch
phading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MC
Berlin
MC Status: 1503488

Great! I love this idea

And made this experiment in 30 minutes. Only white noise like you asked, only with my sampler Octatrack. (only 2 different samples of white noise)

It's a bit rough but it was really great fun to make.

EDIT: Must be less than 6 minutes? Oops I did not read that, maybe I will record another one This was just for fun anyway

Last edited by phading; 26-07-2011 at 06:12 PM..

------------------
phading is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #70
briancore
IDMf's latest spammer
briancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MC
MC Status: 1317748

hey internet,

I was inspired by this thread to make this little diddy, you guys have made some cool stuff in here, its pretty neat to see what people come up with. My track isnt 100% but i dont want to work on it anymore because its for fun. Hope you like it.

I made an actual soundscape-y one too and ill upload that in a bit.

Last edited by briancore; 27-07-2011 at 01:57 AM..
briancore is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: my harddrive
Old 27-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #71
Empty Reach
Banned

@ briancore & phading

seriously impressive stuff,

Im well out of my depth
Old 27-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #72
briancore
IDMf's latest spammer
briancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MCbriancore is a savage MC
MC Status: 1317748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Reach View Post
@ briancore & phading

seriously impressive stuff,

Im well out of my depth
haha no way. Your track is seriously great, and way more fun then mine!
might I ask what you used to make the bubbly sounds? is that just high resonance?

also I just noticed that my song clips at one point. you guys can ignore that :ph34r:

and i might add my thanks to calypsob for the creation of this fine thread, and to everyone else for posting their experiments!
briancore is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #73
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancore View Post
might I ask what you used to make the bubbly sounds? is that just high resonance?

also I just noticed that my song clips at one point. you guys can ignore that :ph34r:

and i might add my thanks to calypsob for the creation of this fine thread, and to everyone else for posting their experiments!
You are quite welcome, I'm glad so many countries from around the world could come together and tie some creative mesh.
Old 27-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #74
Empty Reach
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancore View Post
Yea it was just a recording of a resonance sweep that I put in simpler
Old 27-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #75
gbsr
IDMf Artist
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

WHY THE FUCK DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME WE ARE HAVING A WHIT ENOISE COMPETITION FFS!?

I am SO gonna go fuck shit up.
you're on, bitches.

also: Automageddon; your track R U L E S.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #76
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199653418
Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,258 Posts

^because deep down we all hate Sweden.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #77
CounterVulture
Microknight
CounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MC
MC Status: 1129890

Okay here's my first take and my submission for now. Its called Teslafunken because I think the drums sound kind of like a tesla coil zapping.

Its a live live recording, made on Electribe, with some ms2k overdubbed afterwards.

In case anybody's curious. the drums are just a noise sample with different envelope/filter settings, the percussive melody is from those drums going through the really short delay on the electribe with the delay time automated (kind of creating a pitched effect), all the bleepy bloopy sounds are from highres bandpass with the cutoff automated, and the padsounds are ms2k noise with high res bp played as chords and put through distortion.

If anybody has any criticism please send it my way, as I might do another take.

Briancore and Phading, both your submissions are seriously impressive and it's totally beyond me how you managed to pull all that out of raw white noise. Care to share any secrets?

------------------
CounterVulture is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #78
filterwerk
spaghetti machine
filterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 10880361

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterVulture View Post
Okay here's my first take and my submission for now. Its called Teslafunken because I think the drums sound kind of like a tesla coil zapping.

Its a live live recording, made on Electribe, with some ms2k overdubbed afterwards.

In case anybody's curious. the drums are just a noise sample with different envelope/filter settings, the percussive melody is from those drums going through the really short delay on the electribe with the delay time automated (kind of creating a pitched effect), all the bleepy bloopy sounds are from highres bandpass with the cutoff automated, and the padsounds are ms2k noise with high res bp played as chords and put through distortion.

If anybody has any criticism please send it my way, as I might do another take.

Briancore and Phading, both your submissions are seriously impressive and it's totally beyond me how you managed to pull all that out of raw white noise. Care to share any secrets?
I know you didnt ask me but just for some clarification, you can make basic waveforms out of white noise. What I did (its not done yet so i havent uploaded) is boosted the resonance in a given note, and used steep filters to cut out EVERYTHING except just that note from the noise. I consolidated it to audio, and tried to find the best place that looked the most like a single sine wave oscillation. You can then start fiddling about with that to get a fully playable music sound. Sawtooth wave from this is easy, just throw it in any sampler with FM and modulate itself with that. As for squares and triangles, I have no idea how to do this without getting wave-cycle deep with volume modulation... sorry!

Im sure theres a million different methods, just sharing my take on it

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedachi View Post
Touching my bum hole whilst I stroke my cat, furiously.
filterwerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #79
phading
Minor Glitch
phading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MCphading is a savage MC
Berlin
MC Status: 1503488

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsr View Post
also: Automageddon; your track R U L E S.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterVulture
Care to share any secrets?
I think filterwerk spoke very well.
I used the high resonance trick, lots of filters and also very fast retrigging (I think you can achieve this with beatrepeat on ableton live) plus more filters.
Feel free to ask anything specific.
EDIT: Your track is so great man! You should be the one sharing secrets Love it when the "pad" comes in at 1:40, and then lots of noise and delays; great stuff man!

Last edited by phading; 28-07-2011 at 02:25 PM..

------------------
phading is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #80
gbsr
IDMf Artist
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

aight.
so i took 20 seconds of white noise, put in arrangement view, processed it a bit, cut it up etc, rendered it, took the resulting file and re-did the process.

sofar it's well.. noise.
probably gonna resample it further and possibly add some rhytmical stuff to it at some point, just need a good starting point. it's slowly getting there i think.

here's the wip in all it's shitty glory:

edit: also moved to sound design + stickied for extra yummy.

Last edited by gbsr; 28-07-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote