What to do? Where to start?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 15-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
FoDriZZlE
Knob Twiddler
FoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
What to do? Where to start?

Im not going to make a long post, so here is the case:

- Im trying to make dubstep/complextro

- Im having a HARD time getting started, i simply dont know what i wanna do first, what structure my song should have.

- I dont have a bunch of knowledge with making my own synths and sounds, so far ive been using presets and samples...

So if someone could guide me in the right direction, that would be fantastic, even the smallest tip on where i should start or begin will help...

Im trying to figure out basslines.... and where to put them.... but... im just clueless on where i should go.... so any tips will help!

THanks in advance!

Advertisements

FoDriZZlE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
ChrisJ12
Radial Developer
ChrisJ12 has a spectacular aura aboutChrisJ12 has a spectacular aura about
Austin, Texas
MC Status: 160
Re: What to do? Where to start?

It takes time, honestly. Read, read, read, read, read, watch tutorials, read some more.

There are a lot of people on these forums that really know what they are talking about. Start somewhere and just soak up all the info that you can. Read the manual to FL studio. Listen to songs with a similar style you want to make, and really listen to the structure. Try to pinpoint every single sound.

Then read some more
ChrisJ12 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Ni-Kulo
Soundscaper
Ni-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

well heres how i started:

new york compresses kick.

, choose 1 fat layered bass synth, that carries the whole song. place it on the first kick of every 4/4 bar.

fill the rest 3/4 beat with 3-4 different leadsynths (wobble, polysaw, pluck, etc) pitchshift those leads a lot.

andlet each synth play for one full note. like

---1----- 2 ------- 3- -------4 ---
Bass--Polysw----Pluck---Wobble repeat.

(For an silly example, but it should get you started, just playing every synth for 1 full note^^ ).

play with different bleeps and bloops i guess.

whitenoise over everything

sidechain everything to the kick.

thats it gl and again, practice, read and watch tutorials on how to do electro /layer synths and compress the hell out of everything^^

------------------
~ Ni-Kulo Club Steiner ~

-) ~ the CHAMPA WOODS are back ~ 15.10.13
Ni-Kulo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
AudibleAssassin
Radial Developer
AudibleAssassin has a spectacular aura aboutAudibleAssassin has a spectacular aura about
Chicago, IL
MC Status: 160

check out ARTFX studios on youtube. he has a weekly tutorial going that teaches you to do a electro/dub track. not bad. ive followed and recraeted for the hell of it and to learn more and its pretty good. shows you how to structure a track and lay it out as well so far.
AudibleAssassin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
djinverno
Minor Glitch
djinverno will become famous soon enough
Washington DC
MC Status: 60

youtube tutorials are your friend. you can learn just about anything on there.
djinverno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
FoDriZZlE
Knob Twiddler
FoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni-Kulo View Post
well heres how i started:

new york compresses kick.

, choose 1 fat layered bass synth, that carries the whole song. place it on the first kick of every 4/4 bar.

fill the rest 3/4 beat with 3-4 different leadsynths (wobble, polysaw, pluck, etc) pitchshift those leads a lot.

andlet each synth play for one full note. like

---1----- 2 ------- 3- -------4 ---
Bass--Polysw----Pluck---Wobble repeat.

(For an silly example, but it should get you started, just playing every synth for 1 full note^^ ).

play with different bleeps and bloops i guess.

whitenoise over everything

sidechain everything to the kick.

thats it gl and again, practice, read and watch tutorials on how to do electro /layer synths and compress the hell out of everything^^

Thanks for the reply man! But ive tried to put some sounds together... but it sounds so... lame and boring... nothing interesting really... any tips on how to make things more.. complex?
FoDriZZlE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199652018
Thanked 5,055 Times in 3,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoDriZZlE View Post
Thanks for the reply man! But ive tried to put some sounds together... but it sounds so... lame and boring... nothing interesting really... any tips on how to make things more.. complex?
Here's my two:

Make a drum loop, doesn't matter if it's crap or not. Add some efx. Record the effected loop to audio. Chop the audio into slices. Rearrange these slices until it sounds interesting to you.

Then...

Add some more effects. Record effected chopped new loop to another audio track. Add more efx > chop again > rearrange and repeat this process. You can do this as much or as little as you want and you can do it with anything not just drum loops.

It will allow you to come up with an interesting sound pallet that is unique to you.I like using delay on my drums when I'm making the process that I described above.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
bStyler
Minor Glitch
bStyler will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I would start from building a nice melodic theme, after that building the rhythm over it.

do you have theoretical knowledge in music?
bStyler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238629

"What to do? Where to start?"
"
Play with different bleeps and bloops i guess."

IDMF Presents: Music Production made Easy.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #10
DreamCatcher
Microknight
DreamCatcher has a spectacular aura aboutDreamCatcher has a spectacular aura aboutDreamCatcher has a spectacular aura about
Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoDriZZlE View Post
Im not going to make a long post, so here is the case:

- Im trying to make dubstep/complextro

- Im having a HARD time getting started, i simply dont know what i wanna do first, what structure my song should have.

- I dont have a bunch of knowledge with making my own synths and sounds, so far ive been using presets and samples...

So if someone could guide me in the right direction, that would be fantastic, even the smallest tip on where i should start or begin will help...

Im trying to figure out basslines.... and where to put them.... but... im just clueless on where i should go.... so any tips will help!

THanks in advance!
So what I do with complextro is first right a melody with one bass patch.
Then I take the melody and chop it up, shorten parts, make others longer, and leave gaps in between notes.
Then I take the gaps in between the melody parts and fill them with other sounds and notes to give it the complextro part while still maintaining the melody part .

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
did you fap enough today
SHOW OFF YOUR MUSIC HERE:
https://soundcloud.com/groups/showca...ectronic-music
DreamCatcher is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Barry Acid
Deep Underground
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

You need to know what you want to achieve, how your going to do this and what tools you will need and how to use them correctly. So use the net and research.

I'd suggest you listen and analyze the music that your interested in making. That's what I did, but I did it for like 5+ years before I went near a DAW or synth.

Read about the genre and learn how its made, structured, arranged, production aspects, mixes, etc.

You can pretty much forget about making anything good/complex right away as anything to do with music often requires years of skills and practice. So keep that in mind all the times you get pissed off and frustrated.

Goodluck.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #12
sondericker
IDMf Artist
sondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MCsondericker is a savage MC
Colorado Springs
MC Status: 1924635

Rather than starting off trying to create your master-work, try to create a series of partial songs that do one specific thing well. Once you've built up a nice toolbox of techniques you can start to use those tools to make tunes that are more complex and complete sounding.

It takes time to get where you can be confident that you're in control of the sound but it is fun along the way.

Advertisements

------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/soundwrecker
Live 9 Suite, Alchemy, MAX/MSP, Komplete 8 Ultimate,
Iris, Ozone 5 Adv, Nectar 2, Alloy 2, APC40
Ableton Push, NI Audio 6, Shure SM48, Yamaha HS8s
sondericker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote