Tentatively coming back... - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Introduce Yourself Say hello to our other members. Give us a little about yourself and what you're interested in. Tell us about the music you like to make and listen to.

Old 22-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #81
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584380
Thanked 7,869 Times in 5,537 Posts
Re: Tentatively coming back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
No millenial is like that. What youre describing is the rich kids of our generation. Theyre the ones that are famous online and get all the attention and are doing all the stupid shit. All the millenials I know are working 2 jobs, live in their cars or with their parents, cant afford school, insurance, etc. And we dont want anything free, we want the same opportunities the previous generation had.

You know, when you could own a hosue go to harvard and have 3 kids and only spend 500$ a month (even with inflation thats less than what people spend on rent now a days)

I hate when people talk shit about millenials, no other generation has had it harder monetarily.
50 years ago you could go to harvard for 150$ a year.
A YEAR
you could buy acres of land for 10$ an acre.

Property taxes werent even really a thing back then.

You didnt have all the extra expenses you NEED now like:
Car insurance
Cell phone with plan
Car maintenance is 50x more what it used to be
electronics necessary for work or life (computers, tablets, etc)
even taking care of a home is more expensive than it used to be because of the materials they use, the features homes come with now, etc.
Internet
income taxes are more now
social security

i could go on haha

I hate when people talk shit about millenials like were just demanding free shit haha
Gonna go back to my avocado toast and trading my fake internet money haha

Edit: if youre reading this and are a millenial and are saying "Well ive never experienced that" Ill bet thousands you live with family and dont support yourself 100% haha

Absolutes are rarely true : )

I agree Millennials are often painted with broad, hyperbolic strokes. But having taught plenty of people from my own generation (I'm either one of the last Gen Xrs or the oldest of the Millennials), I have to say that some of this stuff is kinda true about some Millennials.

Millennials are the most "loved" generation of kids we've seen. Even in single parent house holds, Millennials got more attention and different kinds of attention than any generation before them. I think this parenting style change has the most to do with the traits Millennials often get accused of having. Many of these boil down to entitlement.

Some things I used to hear a lot from Millennial and early iGen students in my classroom:

"The topic of the reading assignment didn't interest me, so I didn't read it."

"The topic of the essay we were supposed to write didn't interest me, so I didn't do it/couldn't do well on it."

"I got [insert grade here] in English in High School so I should get that grade in your class."

And lots of variations on somehow the class didn't cater to them so they can't be expected to have performed well. I'd hear it a lot from some students, otherwise I just heard it often enough for it to be memorable.

There is also a guy a little younger than me (like 2-3 years) who works at the leather shop...he has never not lived with his parents. He dicked around for four years getting a two year degree to be an EMT (or w/e the less knowledgeable, less well paid guy in the ambulance is). Complained about it constantly because he had to work long hours and sometimes got sent to work in the next city over. Complained because he thought he'd be a captain and not in the ambulance after like a year. Ended up being "forced to quit" because he got into an accident while on duty, his fault. Dicked around for another 3 years or more getting a generic 4 year business degree. He is so convinced he is going to jump into management at a medical company of any type because of his "medical" experience and business degree. He literally won't interview for entry level positions. He gets yelled at at work for not turning on all the lights in the show room because "the lights make it too hot" (the way they run the air at the shop, I can practically see my breath even when its like 95 degrees outside). The last girlfriend he had broke up with him because she thought he needed to "grow up" and that was totally unfair because he was only 31 at the time.

I check the payroll sheets before they get turned into the owner. The kid works maybe works 20 hours every two weeks. Has no other job. Literally lives in his parent's basement. Has gotten two used cars, two cells from them in the last two years for free. Won't interview for an entry level job because he thinks he is too good for that.

Now, I realize one person doesn't make a generation...but there is a reason for the stereotype I think lol...

I could only guess at his parent's social economic status, but they certainly aren't poor, but I don't know where "rich" starts lol.

The economic stuff is actually really interesting. Its crazy that kids used to be able to work a summer job and save up enough money, just during the summer, to pay their college tuition.

Last edited by relic; 22-08-2018 at 08:11 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #82
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5750093

^ I think it can be a humbling experience having to eat shit.

Also why is this thread so fucking long?

------------------
Say YES!

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #83
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 45260

Quote:
No millenial is like that. What youre describing is the rich kids of our generation. Theyre the ones that are famous online and get all the attention and are doing all the stupid shit. All the millenials I know are working 2 jobs, live in their cars or with their parents, cant afford school, insurance, etc. And we dont want anything free, we want the same opportunities the previous generation had.
Amen. We've fucked you lot, just like the Baby Boomers fucked us. One of the biggest issues here is medicine - people are living longer, living better, and most importantly, not retiring. That whole "retire at 60-65" thing is gone, and that means that the whole food chain is stalled, which means that entry level positions for both high school and college graduates don't exist like they did when I was young. At the same time, you're competing with displaced older workers with years of experience.

Likewise, large-scale financial opportunities got eaten up before my generation got the opportunity. My parent's generation (pre-Baby Boomers/post-War) all owned some land, invested in business and stocks to some extent, and those things often turned into a lot of money later in life (my grandfather bought about $500 of Walmart stock in 1973 - want to guess what that's worth today?) The proverbial 'getting ahead' is harder and harder. Just buying a home is difficult in a lot of parts of the country. Housing prices are out of control. Used to be, you might not have the shiny new car or vacations every year, but you could own the place you live and fix it up and always have somewhere to go. Even that's fucked up now for a lot of people.

And then there's this disconnect where people see other people get rich overnight without any sort of real effort because they showed up on youtube at the right moment and monetized things well. And so some kids really think they'll do that instead of working really fucking hard and being awesome at something worthwhile (which still pays well, btw). But I had plenty of classmates that thought they were going to be Magic Johnson or Jon Bon Jovi of whatever, so that's nothing new. But the effort required to get to that point changed, and I think that's a lot of why millennials are painted as lazy or entitled - the rules changed, almost overnight.

I say all this as someone creeping up on 50 who has done very well for myself. But it's not been easy, I had some lucky breaks along the way, and I see my daughter (who's around your age) struggling with the same sort of issues - debt, the job market, housing, school, etc, just taking up so much time and effort for very little progress.

I guess I don't have any sage advice, but don't think that everyone out there is blind to the fact that the previous generation tends to fuck the one coming up, willingly or not.

Also, millennial has two Ns.

Last edited by Artificer; 22-08-2018 at 09:02 PM..

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #84
RaidenBeats
Not Alive; But Not Dead
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 42410

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Absolutes are rarely true : )

I agree Millennials are often painted with broad, hyperbolic strokes. But having taught plenty of people from my own generation (I'm either one of the last Gen Xrs or the oldest of the Millennials), I have to say that some of this stuff is kinda true about some Millennials.

Millennials are the most "loved" generation of kids we've seen. Even in single parent house holds, Millennials got more attention and different kinds of attention than any generation before them. I think this parenting style change has the most to do with the traits Millennials often get accused of having. Many of these boil down to entitlement.

Some things I used to hear a lot from Millennial and early iGen students in my classroom:

"The topic of the reading assignment didn't interest me, so I didn't read it."

"The topic of the essay we were supposed to write didn't interest me, so I didn't do it/couldn't do well on it."

"I got [insert grade here] in English in High School so I should get that grade in your class."

And lots of variations on somehow the class didn't cater to them so they can't be expected to have performed well. I'd hear it a lot from some students, otherwise I just heard it often enough for it to be memorable.

There is also a guy a little younger than me (like 2-3 years) who works at the leather shop...he has never not lived with his parents. He dicked around for four years getting a two year degree to be an EMT (or w/e the less knowledgeable, less well paid guy in the ambulance is). Complained about it constantly because he had to work long hours and sometimes got sent to work in the next city over. Complained because he thought he'd be a captain and not in the ambulance after like a year. Ended up being "forced to quit" because he got into an accident while on duty, his fault. Dicked around for another 3 years or more getting a generic 4 year business degree. He is so convinced he is going to jump into management at a medical company of any type because of his "medical" experience and business degree. He literally won't interview for entry level positions. He gets yelled at at work for not turning on all the lights in the show room because "the lights make it too hot" (the way they run the air at the shop, I can practically see my breath even when its like 95 degrees outside). The last girlfriend he had broke up with him because she thought he needed to "grow up" and that was totally unfair because he was only 31 at the time.

I check the payroll sheets before they get turned into the owner. The kid works maybe works 20 hours every two weeks. Has no other job. Literally lives in his parent's basement. Has gotten two used cars, two cells from them in the last two years for free. Won't interview for an entry level job because he thinks he is too good for that.

Now, I realize one person doesn't make a generation...but there is a reason for the stereotype I think lol...

I could only guess at his parent's social economic status, but they certainly aren't poor, but I don't know where "rich" starts lol.

The economic stuff is actually really interesting. Its crazy that kids used to be able to work a summer job and save up enough money, just during the summer, to pay their college tuition.
I agree with you fully, but thats the way its been forever. Every group of people has that friend who just refuses to grow up or work a normal job because their parents coddled them or gave them everything they wanted or never took the time to teach them anything. And whats funny is you pointed out the thing that annoys me the most. My generation is the way they are because the previous generation was to socially inept and dumb and lazy to explain to their kids that its ok to lose, its ok to not be good at something, its ok to be different. Parents are too emotionally invested in the success of their childrens social lives to the point they are forcing participation awards and all kinds of dumb shit jsut to make their little shit hole of a child feel better about themselves. Its like people dont realize you are SUPPOSED to occasionally feel bad about yourself, how else are you gonna improve? and that right there leads to what oyu said about people basically saying "well it didnt interest me so i didnt read it" etc. Because theyve been told that they dont have to mold themselves to fit the world, that rather the world needs to mold themselves to fit YOU.
Everyone I know my age works more than one job, has 0 money, cant have a hobby because everything is too expensive, and never have anything to offer this world.

Not to say that past generations didnt have it hard, what with the lack of emergency response, the internet, government assistance programs, etc but back then there wasnt a LIST of things you NEED to survive or if there was it was literally shelter, food, water, and family and maybe a few animals or a little bit of land. That was it. Socioeconomically the previous generation made us this way. And again, most of us dont want anything for free or even want others to change for us, we just want the same opportunities every previous generation had. And even with the advancements in technology, the medical field, automobiles, etc there are LESS opportunities than ever before. Especially because many of these jobs are financially out of reach for a lot of people. I was BARELY able to afford my electrician cert's and classes and training and even after that i couldnt get a job till i paid into my union. Also, theres so much regulation now a days in terms of government that its next to impossible to be an entrepreneur unless you are born into money.

But yeah i agree with most things you said. I skipped college though, i generally dont group people together or make broad sweeping statements but i genuinely feel like every person in college today who isnt there for something absolutely specifically needing a degree is probably really dumb and only their to satisfy their parents or some sort of "social request" that our society puts on people.

To make my point, Lil Pump went to harvard.
His parents are mad rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
^ I think it can be a humbling experience having to eat shit.

Also why is this thread so fucking long?
because i guess you all missed me that much? lol

I have eaten shit a lot in my life though and it has definitely benefited me in terms of understanding how our system actually works. I agree that every person needs to have conflict and sadness in their life or else if you only experience HIGHS and never lows, that your highs will become your lows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Amen. We've fucked you lot, just like the Baby Boomers fucked us. One of the biggest issues here is medicine - people are living longer, living better, and most importantly, not retiring. That whole "retire at 60-65" thing is gone, and that means that the whole food chain is stalled, which means that entry level positions for both high school and college graduates don't exist like they did when I was young. At the same time, you're competing with displaced older workers with years of experience.

Likewise, large-scale financial opportunities got eaten up before my generation got the opportunity. My parent's generation (pre-Baby Boomers/post-War) all owned some land, invested in business and stocks to some extent, and those things often turned into a lot of money later in life (my grandfather bought about $500 of Walmart stock in 1973 - want to guess what that's worth today?) The proverbial 'getting ahead' is harder and harder. Just buying a home is difficult in a lot of parts of the country. Housing prices are out of control. Used to be, you might not have the shiny new car or vacations every year, but you could own the place you live and fix it up and always have somewhere to go. Even that's fucked up now for a lot of people.

And then there's this disconnect where people see other people get rich overnight without any sort of real effort because they showed up on youtube at the right moment and monetized things well. And so some kids really think they'll do that instead of working really fucking hard and being awesome at something worthwhile (which still pays well, btw). But I had plenty of classmates that thought they were going to be Magic Johnson or Jon Bon Jovi of whatever, so that's nothing new. But the effort required to get to that point changed, and I think that's a lot of why millennials are painted as lazy or entitled - the rules changed, almost overnight.

I say all this as someone creeping up on 50 who has done very well for myself. But it's not been easy, I had some lucky breaks along the way, and I see my daughter (who's around your age) struggling with the same sort of issues - debt, the job market, housing, school, etc, just taking up so much time and effort for very little progress.

I guess I don't have any sage advice, but don't think that everyone out there is blind to the fact that the previous generation tends to fuck the one coming up, willingly or not.

Also, millennial has two Ns.
this is such a great point, a lot of people think the issues with millennial's is some sort of emotional issue or something but its all economic. On top of that we have been parented by lazy people who dont like to talk or explain shit or even put forth effort to do anything but feed and water their kid like some sort of house plant or chore. Then, when we do get good monetary opportunities (like blockchain/crypto) were called stupid and retarded etc same thing with being a pro gamer, or a full time streamer/entertainer. those are all seen as wastes of time, but those kids who stuck with it are now the ones benefiting.

Last edited by RaidenBeats; 22-08-2018 at 09:10 PM..

------------------
Check out my youtube:

RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #85
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45976998
Thanked 1,423 Times in 1,072 Posts

Quote:
I agree with you fully, but thats the way its been forever. Every group of people has that friend who just refuses to grow up or work a normal job because their parents coddled them or gave them everything they wanted or never took the time to teach them anything. And whats funny is you pointed out the thing that annoys me the most. My generation is the way they are because the previous generation was to socially inept and dumb and lazy to explain to their kids that its ok to lose, its ok to not be good at something, its ok to be different. Parents are too emotionally invested in the success of their childrens social lives to the point they are forcing participation awards and all kinds of dumb shit jsut to make their little shit hole of a child feel better about themselves. Its like people dont realize you are SUPPOSED to occasionally feel bad about yourself, how else are you gonna improve? and that right there leads to what oyu said about people basically saying "well it didnt interest me so i didnt read it" etc. Because theyve been told that they dont have to mold themselves to fit the world, that rather the world needs to mold themselves to fit YOU.
Everyone I know my age works more than one job, has 0 money, cant have a hobby because everything is too expensive, and never have anything to offer this world.

Not to say that past generations didnt have it hard, what with the lack of emergency response, the internet, government assistance programs, etc but back then there wasnt a LIST of things you NEED to survive or if there was it was literally shelter, food, water, and family and maybe a few animals or a little bit of land. That was it. Socioeconomically the previous generation made us this way. And again, most of us dont want anything for free or even want others to change for us, we just want the same opportunities every previous generation had. And even with the advancements in technology, the medical field, automobiles, etc there are LESS opportunities than ever before. Especially because many of these jobs are financially out of reach for a lot of people. I was BARELY able to afford my electrician cert's and classes and training and even after that i couldnt get a job till i paid into my union. Also, theres so much regulation now a days in terms of government that its next to impossible to be an entrepreneur unless you are born into money.

But yeah i agree with most things you said. I skipped college though, i generally dont group people together or make broad sweeping statements but i genuinely feel like every person in college today who isnt there for something absolutely specifically needing a degree is probably really dumb and only their to satisfy their parents or some sort of "social request" that our society puts on people.

To make my point, Lil Pump went to harvard.
His parents are mad rich.

because i guess you all missed me that much? lol

I have eaten shit a lot in my life though and it has definitely benefited me in terms of understanding how our system actually works. I agree that every person needs to have conflict and sadness in their life or else if you only experience HIGHS and never lows, that your highs will become your lows.

this is such a great point, a lot of people think the issues with millennial's is some sort of emotional issue or something but its all economic. On top of that we have been parented by lazy people who dont like to talk or explain shit or even put forth effort to do anything but feed and water their kid like some sort of house plant or chore. Then, when we do get good monetary opportunities (like blockchain/crypto) were called stupid and retarded etc same thing with being a pro gamer, or a full time streamer/entertainer. those are all seen as wastes of time, but those kids who stuck with it are now the ones benefiting.

yea the idea behind that everyone gets a participation trophy is kinda dumb
The way i see it this kinda discourse is merely part of the process that each generation goes through in having to find its own way so that they can come up with different ideas on how things should be..whether the ideas hold up and prove to be successful only time will tell

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #86
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5750093

And now all of the posts are so fucking lopopooooooong!

Lock this before it gets out of hand guys....my fucking eyes........nooooooooooooooo

------------------
Say YES!

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #87
RaidenBeats
Not Alive; But Not Dead
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 42410

Yall are great

------------------
Check out my youtube:

RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #88
fidelium
IDMf's Asshole
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
New Orleans
MC Status: 90550220
Thanked 3,943 Times in 2,166 Posts

i'm so elder millennial I just scrolled past each post without reading them (they're too long lol) to the bottom of this page and decided it was a good time to remind everyone

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #89
Vault O)))
Vegan destroyer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 68710
Thanked 1,374 Times in 891 Posts

Damn kids and their electronic devices

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #90
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11499104
Thanked 1,233 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelium View Post
i'm so elder millennial I just scrolled past each post without reading them (they're too long lol) to the bottom of this page and decided it was a good time to remind everyone
They only seem long because each quoted another kinda long post before it.

Advertisements

------------------
"I imagine for something like that you'd need a rather large number of microphones"
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
Even Unregistered can compete in the latest BEAT BATTLE!!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote