[Arrhythmic Techno (7/8)] Dollhead - 2.2.3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 09-07-2018, 04:13 AM   #1
Aurongroove
Soundscaper
Aurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond repute
West of Ireland
MC Status: 3060
[Arrhythmic Techno (7/8)] Dollhead - 2.2.3

I tried making Techno in 7/8.

I used melodic/acid elements to help decode the fucked up time signature, but otherwise, I tried to make it as "techno" as possible.

Advertisements

------------------
a big Unregistered fan

Aurongroove is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Aurongroove
Automageddon (12-07-2018)
Rate this track - [Arrhythmic Techno (7/8)] Dollhead - 2.2.3.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:43 AM   #2
E-Fence
Granular Poster
E-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud ofE-Fence has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1110
Re: [Arrhythmic Techno (7/8)] Dollhead - 2.2.3

love this, its great when experiments with different time signatures lead to something cool. Did you have idea's going into this song or did you just set up 7/8 and go for it?
E-Fence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
tvmcc
Soundscaper
tvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MC
MC Status: 2522754

When i 1st listened to this I just didn't hear techno. The 2nd listen through i could see where the influence is, but think that this could be turned more into Industrial, post-punk, EBM, avant-funk, electro, acid house type feel.

My ears are so use to hearing Techno as:
Quote:
most often in common time (4/4), where time is marked with a bass drum on each quarter note pulse, a backbeat played by snare or clap on the second and fourth pulses of the bar, and an open hi-hat sounding every second eighth note.

When I think of techno I think of Carl Craig, Derrik May, Kraftwerk, Juan Atkins. This made me think more of Cabaret Voltaire, DAF, Defunk just to name a few.

Not sure if you used reference tracks, or just had a vibe and went for something, but not sure how this would mix with other "techno" records.

Sounds like this is still in the arranging phase, unless you plan to use your existing tracks to create sweeps, transition effects and so on to give the phrase of the song definition.

The patterns become a little to repetitive for my taste. I understand it's meant to be techno, but maybe some filtering to break up the patterns, or chopping them up anything. They just go on for days it feels like.

I think if you revisit this tune you might want to find a few reference track in your bpm that have structure, sound design, and mix ideals similar to what your going for. Once you have those, place them within the project, and reference certain ideals to glue what you have together.

Thanks for sharing.
tvmcc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
Aurongroove
Soundscaper
Aurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond repute
West of Ireland

@ E-Fence
It was the curiosity of seeing what applying elements of techno to an arrhythmic time signature would do.
There are plenty of techno tracks that are split up like "3/8, 3/8, 2/8" (aka the tresillo you hear in cuban dance music, against a 4/4 kick) but in some techno, the kick also hits with this rhythm.

I thought trying 2.2.3 would be a fun and fucked up challenge, and it was!
I don't think there is a way of making 7/8 danceable, but you can get REALLY close.

@ tvmcc.
cheers man, you may have missed the point a bit though.

------------------
a big Unregistered fan

Old 10-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
tvmcc
Soundscaper
tvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MC
MC Status: 2522754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurongroove View Post
@ tvmcc.
cheers man, you may have missed the point a bit though.
Possibly. Just offered my thoughts. Apologies if I did miss the point.
tvmcc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
Naiqvist
Soundwave Mangler
Naiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MC
MC Status: 812506

I think 7/8 can be danceable it just takes a lot of compositional skill. This is dope, it gets a little too repetitive but I think the sound is there, and you should continue making this kind of rhythm
Naiqvist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269485508
Thanked 3,238 Times in 2,129 Posts

I like that despite the odd time signature it still has a somehow straight danceable groove and that late night warehouse rave feel to it.
My problem is that I really dislike the kick sound (Personal preference)

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 01:50 AM   #8
Aurongroove
Soundscaper
West of Ireland

Thanks guys.

@ Armaggeddon. agreed, I hate it too.
If I ever do something with this, it will not sound like this.

------------------
a big Unregistered fan

Old 15-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
fidelium
IDMf's Asshole
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
New Orleans
MC Status: 90550220
Thanked 3,943 Times in 2,166 Posts

7/8 is absolutely danceable. what matters is pulse and groove, uneven rhythms are danced to all over the world! this track is danceable too. I'm not an avid techno listener but this definitely fits in my mind what techno aims to do (slow as fuck builds). really interesting concept. I wonder what it could sound like mixed against 4/4 tracks? it feels like certain moments converge if you try to count an even rhythm to it. nice work. but man, that clap though... it's just so damn techno-y

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
youre our asshole
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote