How to credit the writer of a track?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
iStarfox
Microknight
iStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of light
Ireland
MC Status: 460
How to credit the writer of a track?

Hey Guys.

I am creating my own label soon (just another one on the scene) and I am In a bit of a predicament and I need to resolve it regarding one aspect of this. I will be releasing tracks like any other label and asking producer A to create an original mix with producer B, C and so on remix duties. However, I have my own writer that is a very talented writer but not so much at producing and I will be getting him to write many tracks for me while I get producers to create their own mixes,

In relation to then releasing a track that is written by my guy what is in your opinion the best way to name and credit related artists?

Do I simply release the tracks with Producer A making the 'original' with producer B and C on remix duties while in the information stating that this track is written by 'my guy' because you don't really see this too often. I could just have him as a ghost writer but the problem is if a project can potentially have monetary gain and excel thats where the writer might feel a bit left behind.

Its a strange one for me. Here is a different perspective: He (my writer) is a screenwriter, and the producer serves as director who will also add their own personal flare and embellishments. But consider this: as the aforementioned serves as ‘screenwriter,’ the director gets forefront with top-billing credits. This is the part to which It could be “hit-n-miss” because it can get political fast—especially if it is a project that can potentially have monetary gain.

So if any producers, label owners or just music lovers are reading this whats your input? I would love to hear.

Advertisements

iStarfox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217410
Thanked 4,348 Times in 3,226 Posts
Re: How to credit the writer of a track?

Have to ask, why do you need to have this guy writing stuff in the first place, if you have such a stable of talented producers to begin with? Why don't you just get them to bang out tracks of their own?

I mean, if the writer is not producing or remixing, and just writing, say, lyrics, then just slap "Lyrics by so-and-so" on each track.

If, on the other hand, this writer guy is coming up with tunes, as well as lyrics..then make him and your main producer a team and give credit to the other guys who remix as needs dictate.

Sorry, but I don't really follow how a guy who's writing a track doesn't end up with the main credit for the piece, as he wrote the thing to begin with..it's his work..the other guys basic will be just tweaking his work, as in mixing/remixing..they didn't actually write anything original..just added their own take on his work.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584380
Thanked 7,869 Times in 5,537 Posts

If it were printed on physical media packaging it'd probably say something like "Written by XYZ" and "Produced by ABC"

Why don't you just do "ABC and XYZ" and list both artists? I think you are over thinking it (or looking for an excuse not to list the writers name?) If this writer is so essential it only seems fair they get listed on every track very directly. IMO.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18052719
Thanked 1,054 Times in 791 Posts

i think im confused what youre asking.
if the person is a ghost writer then you should buy the track exclusively with a contract that reflects that, in which case you should not need to worry about credits.
if the person is an artist whos track you are releasing on your label then you should just name the release "[artist name] - [track name]."

in the former case, if you want to give credits because of your own reasons then you can slap it on the artwork for all releases of the track, either in tiny print in the corner, in the name of the release or anywhere in between, depending where on that spectrum you feel comfortable.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
A.M (13-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584380
Thanked 7,869 Times in 5,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i think im confused what youre asking.
if the person is a ghost writer then you should buy the track exclusively with a contract that reflects that, in which case you should not need to worry about credits.
if the person is an artist whos track you are releasing on your label then you should just name the release "[artist name] - [track name]."

in the former case, if you want to give credits because of your own reasons then you can slap it on the artwork for all releases of the track, either in tiny print in the corner, in the name of the release or anywhere in between, depending where on that spectrum you feel comfortable.

I think he is saying one person is doing the writing/arranging and the other person is doing "production" (maybe sound design and mixing).

But yea...I think you are dead on Parricide

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I think he is saying one person is doing the writing/arranging and the other person is doing "production" (maybe sound design and mixing).

But yea...I think you are dead on Parricide
oh ok i see.
in which case i would say (with my non-professional legal opinion) that the contract you guys agree on would be the relevant place to go for your answer. if you want exclusive rights then you need to write a contract that is clear about that, and imo pay everyone fairly for their hard work.

usually you will find if you show people respect and share the gain honestly you wont find any legal problems anyway.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 12-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
iStarfox
Microknight
iStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of lightiStarfox is a glorious beacon of light
Ireland
MC Status: 460

Thanks for the advice. I will be open and honest with all parties and I will be asking the writer what he wants that's important. I was just trying to get a feel for it and see if anyone knew of this situation before. I think everyone being credited is best
iStarfox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #8
Parricide
sloppy cunt

i admire your approach to running a label. there are far too many labels out there ripping people off. it sounds to me like you will have some great relationships with the people you work with, which will result in much better output for your label.
i hope it all works out well for you

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
A.M (13-07-2018)