[Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
devils_avocado
Granular Poster
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
Posts: 56
MC Status: 910
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
[Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.



I hope you like it! I have removed my older tracks from my SC for the time being as they're not up to standard.


I'm aware volume is low and track is very long so they're two things to work on. But other than that it's by far my best yet I reckon!


And you may have noticed that I love broken beats!


Would appreciate the feedback!

Enjoy

Advertisements

devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually..
Old 08-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
Vault O)))
Vegan destroyer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Posts: 1,767
MC Status: 68710
Thanks: 1,701
Thanked 1,374 Times in 891 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.

I wouldn't really worry about overall volume, TBH. Mixing is so much more important and turning up the volume (or down in the case of loud music) is totally normal even with commercial recordings.

This might be personal taste, but the overdrive on the drums / drum bus kind of came across as messy to my ears. The bass being phasy (or just hardpanned) also gives the track a really lopsided and murky sound. Basses panned hard to one side just make me feel dizzy - mono might be your friend there, or at least centered.

The whole track kind of trips over itself, which leads me to believe that it's in need of some EQ love. Again, this could also just be as simple as the weird drums and bass throwing everything off. Structurally, I also can't really tell where it's going, so it just sounds like a background loop to my ears once it goes past the four-minute mark. For that reason, it reminds me of an OST for a game I can't seem to beat.

Nonetheless, it sounds quite a bit like a dirty live jam that was probably a lot of fun to make. If there were an accompanying video of said jam session, that would probably make the whole experience that much cooler to witness in action.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
devils_avocado
Granular Poster
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
Posts: 56
MC Status: 910
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.

First of all thank you very much for the feedback!

Second of all the bass is meant to be very weird and dizzy and I actually like the huge amounts of phaser on it.

Third of all the drums are meant to be quirky... the ones that started the track on the previous version of the track (the one you just listened to).

Fouth of all I do think that some of the drums are (or were) a bit too distorted... the heavier ones maybe. In particular the snare drum. I may have fixed it in this version do.

Fifth of all: I just replaced the track with version 2 which I just finished. The volume is almost doubled.

Sixth of all: I agree volume balancing and mixing is much more important than master volume..... but if most tracks are a lot louder then it's annoying when, say, a track from someone else's soundcloud plays afrer mine and suddenly blows your ears off... or if you listen to any other music after my track and it's suddenly way too loud because you had to turn the volume up because my track was too quiet.

That is fixed now.

Seventh of all... this new version that I just uploaded, version 2... is 3 minutes shorter. 10 mintues instead of 13

Last of all... yes it's meant to be like a live jam. It's meant to sound live. And I actually could perform it live is I still had Ableton Live. I lost my CD key but I plan to buy Ableton Live one day (It's difficult to save up the 300 for it) ... And perform it live!

Hope you enjoy the new version of the track and thanks again for the feedback!

EDIT: Yeah structurally my tracks all do go all over the place! Much like a lot of video game OSTs! It's how I like my music! I 'm not a fan of the whole verse/bridge/chorus form that 99% of music follows. I just like layering sounds and building and dropping (as in dropping down from a height of layered sounds, not as in a 'drop') really.

The second version of the track hopefully meanders on less.
devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
devils_avocado
Granular Poster
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
Posts: 56
MC Status: 910
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
which leads me to believe that it's in need of some EQ love.
Do you mean like a master EQ for the whole track?

As I tend to use an EQ on the individual loops in order to get the pitches and levels I want.
devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:45 AM   #5
Aurongroove
Soundscaper
Aurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond repute
Aurongroove's Avatar
West of Ireland
Age: 33
Posts: 377
MC Status: 3060
Thanks: 3
Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.

Musically the material is explorative and large in scope.
It feels like two complete sections, Section one an A:B:A that sets up the sound world, Section two a slow long build that finished the track.
It's not too long for what it is; the length is fine for a narrative this size.
You could TRY to make it shorter if you wish, but there is certainly no musical obligation to do so.


It is apparent that you are newish to production and there are several inefficiencies in your mixing/production.

Most seriously, you have no command over your bass end (says me lol); it sounds like a sumo wrestling match (that your kick is losing) that you are not in control of and it's spilling into, and making victims of, your treble section as well.
Your poor kick sounds like a fly getting squashed against a car windscreen and your hats (and high perc) are crushed by whatever processing you've used to master the wave. This was probably an effort to make the mix sound loud but as a consequence, all your treble is getting nailed with foldback distortion.


The fix for this might be simple; you may simply need to produce at a higher volume and turn all you gain stages down to 70/100 before you start mixing.

I bet if you went into your DAW, turned all your gain stages to 70, (just above 2/3rds), then turned every channel down to zero, turned up your monitoring, and then brought all the channels back up to a volume you found appropriate, you would instantly have a cleaner, bigger mix.


As some of the other folk have said, this is still good music, hearing this live would be entertaining, exciting and worthwhile.
I don't wanna be too cutthroat especially since in your own words this is a new standard you've reached and besides this, you seem to have a great musical character to your work.

The lesson I would take away from this track is, for the sake of production, imagine that your kick and your bassline (or bass end in general) are like two bodybuilders living in a small apartment, and YOU are their referee.
The kick wants all the "space" for when it flexes, and the bass wants all the "time" it can have and it's up to you to find room for them.

Keep up the good work, and congrats on levelling up your game.

------------------
a big Unregistered fan

Aurongroove is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:29 AM   #6
Vault O)))
Vegan destroyer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Posts: 1,767
MC Status: 68710
Thanks: 1,701
Thanked 1,374 Times in 891 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils_avocado View Post

Sixth of all: I agree volume balancing and mixing is much more important than master volume..... but if most tracks are a lot louder then it's annoying when, say, a track from someone else's soundcloud plays afrer mine and suddenly blows your ears off... or if you listen to any other music after my track and it's suddenly way too loud because you had to turn the volume up because my track was too quiet.
That's a good point. I guess a standard peak limiter should resolve the issue (which I think is what you did, but I'll update this if need be).

Also, if my critique sounds harsh it's only because I'm critiquing it as any other song in an extremely general context. If you're going for that videogame OST vibe, you're definitely on the mark and I can totally see it / enjoy it as such, but without said context (or any context at all) it's pretty hard to offer any feedback. This is especially true if everything sounds the way you want it to sound, which is obviously above the LB altogether.

Personal note: The LB (and the generous people who offered their ears) has been phenomenal to me for helping me achieve whatever my goal was, so the more information you provide, the better the end result will undoubtedly be.


Edit for the new mix:

Loudness was definitely achieved here, but I think this confirms my suspicions about the low-end EQ work as well as the bass panning. Now everything sounds like it's just being limited to the max, even on the quieter parts, and I can't help but wonder if it's a lack of control going on with most of the low-end.

Bass and drums are probably the hardest things to mix IMO, and yours definitely sound like they're fighting for room in the mix. The limiter definitely isn't even giving your bridges a chance to breathe at all, though, despite the obvious dynamic range that the track itself has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils_avocado View Post
EDIT: Yeah structurally my tracks all do go all over the place! Much like a lot of video game OSTs! It's how I like my music! I 'm not a fan of the whole verse/bridge/chorus form that 99% of music follows. I just like layering sounds and building and dropping (as in dropping down from a height of layered sounds, not as in a 'drop') really.
Haha, I'm the same way most of the time. I want to break that habit, but sometimes whatever vision I had in my head just sounds better to me. I think you could actually expand on the mentality of building into a gigantic climax, though, especially with more layers that usher in certain transitions and things like that.

Last edited by Vault O))); 09-07-2018 at 04:47 AM..

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:12 AM   #7
devils_avocado
Granular Poster
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
Posts: 56
MC Status: 910
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurongroove View Post
Musically the material is explorative and large in scope.
It feels like two complete sections, Section one an A:B:A that sets up the sound world, Section two a slow long build that finished the track.
It's not too long for what it is; the length is fine for a narrative this size.
Yeah I felt like that. I like my tracks long and I tried to make it shorter but by the time it got to 8 minutes it felt unresolved and by the time it got to 10 minutes it felt complete.

I tend to start off making my tracks super long and cut out the parts that I feel don't work so well and leave in the sections that I feel explore the right areas.

But they still often end up pretty long but I like them long anyway!

Quote:
You could TRY to make it shorter if you wish, but there is certainly no musical obligation to do so.
Indeed. I like 'em long anyway but 10 minutes felt better than 13


Quote:
It is apparent that you are newish to production and there are several inefficiencies in your mixing/production.
Yes. And mixing in particular is definitely what I need to improve at the most, I reckon.

Quote:
Most seriously, you have no command over your bass end (says me lol); it sounds like a sumo wrestling match (that your kick is losing) that you are not in control of and it's spilling into, and making victims of, your treble section as well.
I agree with this!

Quote:
Your poor kick sounds like a fly getting squashed against a car windscreen and your hats (and high perc) are crushed by whatever processing you've used to master the wave.
I think the problem is that the bassline basically squashes the whole mix when it comes in! Not just the kick! I could definitely use some EQing or filtering with it but it's hard to do when I really like the beefy bassline.

Perhaps sometimes a loop sounds good on its own but doesn't sit well with the rest of the mix.

Quote:
This was probably an effort to make the mix sound loud but as a consequence, all your treble is getting nailed with foldback distortion.
What's foldback distortion.

I agree that the track is too bassy. Too many low pass filters


Quote:
The fix for this might be simple; you may simply need to produce at a higher volume and turn all you gain stages down to 70/100 before you start mixing.
Hmmm. Does the volume I produce the mix at effect it? Isn't having a low master volume but loud instruments the same as having a high master volume but quiet instruments provided the volume range between the instruments is balanced the same in both cases?

Quote:
I bet if you went into your DAW, turned all your gain stages to 70
You mean 70% on the volume of each instrument?

Quote:
, (just above 2/3rds), then turned every channel down to zero,
Quote:
turned up your monitoring
What is my monitoring? I know each instrument has a volume gain and there are also channels. But what is monitoring volume? Do you mean the output?

Quote:
, and then brought all the channels back up to a volume you found appropriate, you would instantly have a cleaner, bigger mix.
What's the difference between having the instrument volumes at 70% and then balancing them with the channels and doing it vice versa? When it's 1 instrument per channel?

And what's the difference between having it at 70% and turning it up on the one hand and having it at 100% and turning it up slightly higher?

I'm not sure how it would make a difference if the volume range is the same?

This foldback distortion thing is interesting me. I don't know what that is.

When I get lots of instruments together they start to sound really crowded. Is there something else causing that then besides all the low pass?




Quote:
As some of the other folk have said, this is still good music, hearing this live would be entertaining, exciting and worthwhile.
Well when my music gets less distorted and crowded and there's more room for all the different levels without everything sounding squashed then it will sound better live

Quote:
I don't wanna be too cutthroat especially since in your own words this is a new standard you've reached and besides this, you seem to have a great musical character to your work.
Thank you Can't be too critical with me as it all helps!

I welcome all the feedback and tips whether I agree with it all or not!

I can tell that I drastically need to improve my volume mixing and level balancing and stuff. And just give myself more room in the mix somehow without the lack of space and squashedness happening when a big sounding instrument (be it a bass or mid range instrument... as high pitched instruments don't seem to take up as much room? I find even midrange stuff can squash my mix but high pitched stuff doesn't. But I don't want high pass over everything as I think it sounds yucky to have the whole song high passy. I prefer loud pass. I like bassy music I just don't like how it's so difficult to fit in the mix without squashing everything. I want to get better at it).

Quote:
The lesson I would take away from this track is, for the sake of production, imagine that your kick and your bassline (or bass end in general) are like two bodybuilders living in a small apartment, and YOU are their referee.
The kick wants all the "space" for when it flexes, and the bass wants all the "time" it can have and it's up to you to find room for them.
That's great to think about

They are rather unique as not many instruments besides bass snyths and kick drums really produce the low level stuff.


Quote:
Keep up the good work, and congrats on levelling up your game.
Thanks man
devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:54 AM   #8
devils_avocado
Granular Poster
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
Posts: 56
MC Status: 910
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
That's a good point. I guess a standard peak limiter should resolve the issue (which I think is what you did, but I'll update this if need be).
No problem! I will defintitely do another version that not only tries to fix the bass levels but also alters the bass instrument as although I do love phasing to death it sounds a lot better soloed when it is that phased than it actually sits with the rest of the mix.

That's the thing I've noticed about a lot of the electronic music I like! Some sounds are very fun in a weird and quirky way but the really weird songs have to be used sparingly in the track because they don't sit on top of the mix well even if they sound cool soloed or with one or two other instruments! You have to be choosier with what you sit the weird loops with!

So, as I want the basslines running through a lot of the track in my next version... I will definitely make them less over the top and perhaps different bass synths altogether. I'll try and math out their textures so they sit with the overall track better.

On top of the fact I really have to learn the mixing and equalizing better.

Quote:
Also, if my critique sounds harsh it's only because I'm critiquing it as any other song in an extremely general context. If you're going for that videogame OST vibe, you're definitely on the mark and I can totally see it / enjoy it as such,
Indeed!

Quote:
but without said context (or any context at all) it's pretty hard to offer any feedback.
Oh you've been doing great man! Very general feedback is what I've after! What people like/don't like is fine and while sometimes stuff people don't like is intentional on my part and I like it the way it is it's still worth pointing out because my tastes change as I improve and I often look back on previous advice and take a lot from it even when it's the parts I initially wasn't fussed with because the part critiqued was something I did on purpose because I liked it!

And, not to mention the fact there's plenty of advice you've given that I absolutely do recognize needs to improve. Most specifically the mixing! I am really struggling with it but I'm still better than I used to be because I used to be so terrible at balancing the volume levels that I'd use presets for everything!

So the volume balancing comes with experience but I need to learn to use an EQ better and learn more about what causes a mix to get squashed. I never really use an EQ much because I normally just enjoy low pass on everything but maybe that's the problem! I definitely don't want the whole track high passy instead though because I think tracks sound weird with an overall lack of bass. It's all about the bass for me, but it is annoying when the bass squashes everything else.

And when I have straight up high pass mixed together with low pass I find they conflict too much and don't sit well together. I guess I have to learn to be more subtle with my EQing and have a balance of different EQed stuff in the mix!

That said when I'm struggling with a loop I do fiddle about with its EQ and try to do it purely by ear. I have altered the EQ levels on some of my loops. Not using any particular filter but just trying to mess about with them by ear. But most of the loops are just all low pass.

I definitely need to get better with EQs.

Quote:
This is especially true if everything sounds the way you want it to sound, which is obviously above the LB altogether.
Haha, if everything sounded exactly how I wanted I'd stop making music altogether! What would be the point in continuing if you've written the perfect song eh?

I'm often disappointed but also excited by my latest song. It's either "This one isn't very good" or "this is my best one yet!" all with the qualifer "by my standards" of course. I try to compare myself to myself and just try to do better than last time.

But do you ever feel proud of something you made and then after you make something new you look back on your previous creation and feel it's shit? And that pattern just repeats over and over lol.

For the record, this is a WIP as everything I share here is

The two tracks I removed will also be replaced when I have better versions of them. I still the projects (I keep everything)... and I am still inspired by the advice I was given on them as well. I just wanna keep this best track of mine on my soundcoud alone until I have something else as good to sit with it. And that will include, hopefully, further versions of the previous two track I uploaded in my other two threads from a while back

Just, do you ever feel that when your latest creation is significantly better than your previous ones then it feels silly to have the far worse stuff sitting together with your better stuff?

Anyways, thanks again for all the feedback! It's so much appreciated! I can learn from even the parts I disagree with and even that's down to taste and taste changes!

I only post for the feedback and although the positive feedback is encouraging and it's lovely to hear the good points I am mainly after the negative stuff! After all criticism is certainly one way to improve!

And it's with the more technical stuff that I especailly need to improve.

That said what is most important of all is me being just as honest as you guys! So if it really is something like a matter of taste (such as a lot of phaser on a synth making you feel dizzy, which is actually something I like to feel lol, as long as it's not the nauseous kind of dizy lol) . . . I have to be honest and say "Well I did that on purpose because I liked it!"

Another thing though is... do you ever find that you get obsessed with a particular sound or musical idea and you repeat it often in your music production but then eventually you get sick of it and are then able to see it more clearly? Like, I love phaser to death but not quite as much as I used to. I used to have loads of it on everything because it was just really fun to do so even though it sounded so alien and bizarre that it didn't even sound like music much!

Once I get really sick of it I may even end up using my phasing sparingly lol even though I love it lol!

One thing I've noticed though is that when you get obsessed with a particular sound or musical idea and keep reproducing it. although you eventually learn that what you have been doing is shit you seem to learn a lot more from allowing your particular fad for that particular sound/idea to end naturally than you do from trying to force yourself to stop obessing with it!

I am not sure if you get what I mean here but basically.... I think that particular over the top ideas in music production need to die naturally rather than trying to force yourself to stop immediately... and trust that they will die naturally as you improve... and this is all because I feel like nothing gives yourself writers block as much as forcing yourself.

So, anyways, I greatly appreciate 100% Of the feedback and don't worry about being too general!

Oh and the reason why I didn't tag it as video game OST style is because although the structure to the music I make is indeed similar to video game OSTs because it doesn't have a standard sort of structure and it meanders a lot like video game OSTs does... that's where the similarities end. The music I make, one day when it is hopefully a lot better than it is now, could indeed be used as a video game OST. But a video game OST is NOT what I'm aiming for. I'm not really aiming for ANY genre or style I just love the music of the band Orbital, particularly their 2nd album, also known as the Brown album, and I just really like making electronic music. That's why I tagged it simply as electronic

Here's an example of one of my favorite tracks of all time:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8POAGdakJ0[/video]

^^This is the kind of song structure and song length and layering I like to aim for^^

But literally the only reason I aim for it is because that's what I enjoy!

And I'm a huge fan of how the whole album that this track, Impact, is from... tends to have this style where although they, the band Orbital, do indeed often lose many loops at once, they usually only add a single loop at a time. Layering gradually. And sometimes they lose and add. The very slow progression... I am a huge fan of that kind of thing.

And I say "usually" because there are a couple of occasions, like only a few on the entire album though, where they add 2-4 loops instead of 1. That's practically never though and that's fine by me! I love how I get the sort of feeling of going on a journey when I listen to that album of theirs.




Quote:
Personal note: The LB (and the generous people who offered their ears) has been phenomenal to me for helping me achieve whatever my goal was, so the more information you provide, the better the end result will undoubtedly be.
I agree! And I still wish to take on board some of the improvements suggested to me for my previous two tracks once I'm ready for new versions of them! They're still WIPs as well just like this one is!


Quote:
Edit for the new mix:

Loudness was definitely achieved here, but I think this confirms my suspicions about the low-end EQ work as well as the bass panning.
I think the phaser effect is actually connected to the panning. I definitely intend to switch that bass out for a different bass (playing the same pattern).

Quote:
Now everything sounds like it's just being limited to the max, even on the quieter parts, and I can't help but wonder if it's a lack of control going on with most of the low-end.
Perhaps everything being very low passy is what is making me feel like I'm inside a closet with a boombox right up against my head and I'm having to alter the volume so it doesn't blow my ears off but I can also still hear it comfortably without getting bored while standing in the closet with otherwise nothing else to do, lol.

Quote:
Bass and drums are probably the hardest things to mix IMO, and yours definitely sound like they're fighting for room in the mix.
I agree on both counts. The former being something I am learning. It's hard to fit bass in with the mix! It tends to block the kick! I don't think drums are that difficult when there's no bassline around. But as soon as there bassline gets in there it tends to block the drums more than anything! The bassline part is really difficult because I like my basses loud and rumbly but I don't want it to squash everything!

Having the rest of the instruments be tweaked so they sit well with the big rumbly bass might be another answer?

Big rumbly basses can definitely sound good in music! A lot of my favorite music has it! But it does indeed mean that it has to sit well with the rest of the track.

I definitely think there's a big difference between having a loop you like the sound of and having a loop that you like the sound of AND that fits well with the rest of your track. I mean, if I like a loop enough but it doesn't fit well with the rest of the track I guess there's no harm in saving it for a later track that it sits better with? And replacing it with something that works better for this track.


Quote:
The limiter definitely isn't even giving your bridges a chance to breathe at all, though, despite the obvious dynamic range that the track itself has.
Hmmm what do you mean by my bridges?

Yeah my track has this big dynamic range but it feels like my instruments are like a small orchestra fighting over room in a f**king closet! lol.





Quote:
Haha, I'm the same way most of the time. I want to break that habit, but sometimes whatever vision I had in my head just sounds better to me. I think you could actually expand on the mentality of building into a gigantic climax, though, especially with more layers that usher in certain transitions and things like that.
It's something I've been trying to do for years. I used to try over and over and enjoy the idea behind it but suck at actually making it sound good. I got better at reaching the climaxes in an interesting way and was just focusing on song structure and completely ignoring the fact that when I put so many instruments together they all sounded like crap together! And super crowded!

Now my instruments still end up getting really crowded when they all layer up but nowhere near as much as they used to. So I am getting excited about the fact that the more I practice layering to the climax the better I get at balancing it so (hopefully) one day I will be able to reach those climaxes without any of the crowdedness.

Layering sounds is definitely a skill in itself.

So yeah, I definitelly wanna expand on it! It's more fun than messing around with a smaller amount of layers even if I'm still struggling with it at the minute! I'd definitely rather fail hard but learn something than succeed at something that's easy but never really progress.

And, to be honest, I enjoy the layering too much to give up on it no matter how crappy I am at it!

I tend to enjoy the building to a small mini climax, then a couple of moderate sized climaxes and then end with a big one... (I'm talking about music still of course LOL nothing NSFW lol) . . . and I introduce at least one new loop with each climax.

Once again, thanks for everything! Next step is definitely to fix that bass and try to make the mix less squashed!

I am especially confused about how the master volume would effect anything when I'm still balancing the output of the individual insttruments. But if it does make a difference then I definitely wanna know about it because I don't like my mix squashed!

I need more headroom! I've always known that my mix gets squashed after multiple loops but I'm only just really learning that it might be ONLY the more bassy loops that do the quashing. But the fact I use low pass filtering on almost everything may be part of that! I wonder if it's much easier to mix in high pass. I don't wanna do that though because although I like some high pass I can't stand a whole track that's very high passy as I love mid range and bass too much. (Although I do prefer treble to midrange I like bass most of all probably).

What I really like is a mix of trebley and bassy sounds without much of a midrange but I don't want too little of a midrange, of course, because otherwise the mix sounds much too harsh like it's got some kind of big hole in it or something lol.

I mean, I like all pitches, of courses. But may favorites are definitely like high pitched melodies and low pitched basses.

Thanks again!
devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
Aurongroove
Soundscaper
Aurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond repute
Aurongroove's Avatar
West of Ireland
Age: 33
Posts: 377
MC Status: 3060
Thanks: 3
Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.

To address some of your Questions.

Foldback distortion is when, say a mountain peak is a regular sound wave crest. If harsh limiting/compression "cuts the top of the mountain falt" Foldback distortion is when the wave is "volcano shaped", i.e., the compressed peak of the wave has it's own trough, making an 'M' shaped wave".



By gain stages I mean everything in your DAW, or anything that is between your DAW and controlling the volume before it comes out of your speakers (monitors) that can control volume EXCEPT FOR your track's individual channels. your master channel, your systems output volume, your amp's volume (if it has one) your speaker volume, etc etc.

In the "old days" sound had to be recorded mixed etc, at the right volume. Too quiet, you would introduce too much hum and noise from the equipment you're using for the material to sound professional. Too "hot" (i.e., loud) and you would push the equipment too much and saturation your sound with warm distortion, as well as unintended compression, this is where the word "hot" came to describe how loud you recorded/mixed/processed etc the music you were producing.


In the digital world, it's a whole different rule set. The rule with digital is simply "absolutely do not work too loud/hot". Digital only (when your not recording sound as well) has no noise floor, so technically, you could work at -30db, so long as you could amplify it well enough. But when you work too loud your risking hitting 0db (the absolute highest digital audio can be), which flatlines everything above it (called 'clipping').
Also if to compensate for the digital loudness that you're working at you simply adjust your volume with the final gain stage (i.e. your mixing channels are at 110, your master is at 110, your amp is a 110, but your speaker's volume knob is at 35), you're essentially trying to mix and master your music while only having access to a 'letterbox' sized lowest to highest-before-distortion-hits volume continuum, and you're probably already working with a distorted wave as it is, just the distorted is not apparent enough yet to ring alarm bells.

The most important one of these to have "not too high" is your DAW's master channel, because this is where the song is pushed into one audio wave. If you have 6 channels all pumping away at about -6db, the loud peaks of the single wave for their trying to fit into will be well above 0db, thus, before you even put on any EQ compression, Limiting, your signal is massively to hot and too clipped to be mixed properly.

Hope that helps. I'd blabber on for more but I need to run and do a favour for a friend.

------------------
a big Unregistered fan

Aurongroove is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
devils_avocado
Granular Poster
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
Posts: 56
MC Status: 910
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Re: [Electronic] Devil's Avocado - Travelling Unusually.

Thank you so much for answering my questions and for the feedback!

And thanks to everyone for the feedback!

I just uploaded my new version of the song so the OP is updated

I changed the sounds a lot and messed around with the EQ for several hours! The question is was it worth it? Is it an improvement?

Definitely seems to be more headroom at least. What do you reckon?

11 minutes 11 seconds long now lol.

Advertisements

devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Techno] Devil's Avocado - Still Dabbling devils_avocado Listening Booth 4 08-07-2018 07:17 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.