"go to last post" button
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Suggestions & Feedback Constructive feedback space about the forum, the IDMf label, or improvements you'd like to see.

View Poll Results: do you want the "show last post" button to be a "show unread posts" button?
yes 3 42.86%
no 1 14.29%
i don't care 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18032619
"go to last post" button

it would be nice if the "go to last post" button next to the thread title would take you to the first unread post rather than the last post. obviously it would be renamed too.
some other forums do it and its a much faster way to navigate to where you left off on your last visit.

im not sure if its possible on vbulletin though?

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 12:47 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 204110
Thanked 4,082 Times in 3,034 Posts
Re: "go to last post" button

I get what you mean, P..but I think it works fine as is..you can chose to have the last post in a thread show first anyway..and that will be an unread post when you log in anyhow.

I'd much rather see the addition of a "Return to Top of Thread" button at the end of each thread page, that you click, instead of having to scroll back up again. Granted..a little thing..but one of those little things that make a difference..much like your "go to last post" button no doubt.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Parricide (13-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 04:43 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

We are always listening to requests like this, but we are trying our best to fix some pretty basic stuff with the forum software seeing as it is quite outdated. Please keep the suggestions coming, but understand that moving forward on little requests like this could remain slow.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

I'm confused.
It works for me the way you describe.
Perhaps it depends which way you have the posts on the page?
I always have newest at the bottom.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
A.M (13-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I get what you mean, P..but I think it works fine as is..you can chose to have the last post in a thread show first anyway..and that will be an unread post when you log in anyhow.

I'd much rather see the addition of a "Return to Top of Thread" button at the end of each thread page, that you click, instead of having to scroll back up again. Granted..a little thing..but one of those little things that make a difference..much like your "go to last post" button no doubt.
i use the home button on my keyboard for that. i guess most people browse on their phones these days though.

if i reverse the order then i will have to do the same, but scroll down to get to the oldest unread post

------------------
signature loading...
Old 13-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I'm confused.
It works for me the way you describe.
Perhaps it depends which way you have the posts on the page?
I always have newest at the bottom.
i have the newest at the bottom too. the way it works (for me at least) is that it takes me to the newest post, which means i have to scroll up to the oldest unread post.
the scrolling is not too bad and you can see easily which posts are read or unread, but when you have to go to previous pages all the posts are marked as read because you have viewed the thread.
this makes it more difficult to see where you left off.

is that how it works for you? is it just me?

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
lolirl (13-06-2018)
Old 13-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33960

Nice idea that I would probably occasionally if it was pointed out to me.. but yea, apparently they’re struggling to do basic stuff such as make it so that when you click “beat battles” in the side bar it doesn’t take you to a two year old thread lol.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #8
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i have the newest at the bottom too. the way it works (for me at least) is that it takes me to the newest post, which means i have to scroll up to the oldest unread post.
the scrolling is not too bad and you can see easily which posts are read or unread, but when you have to go to previous pages all the posts are marked as read because you have viewed the thread.
this makes it more difficult to see where you left off.

is that how it works for you? is it just me?
Not sure why it takes you to the newest post and me to newest unread post...?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Quote:
The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.
Could be something to do with that, but I'm not really sure.
Ask Auto or Roo if they could have a look into it for you, but I definitely already read threads the way you describe you'd like to be able to.
Thanks to lolirl
Parricide (14-06-2018)
Old 14-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Not sure why it takes you to the newest post and me to newest unread post...?
im pretty sure it works the same for both of us, but we are struggling to communicate properly

im saying it takes me to the newest post regardless of whether it is read or not, so usually it will take me to the newest unread post because i havent read it.
but what i want it to do is take me to the oldest unread post.
so, for example, assuming i have posted every time i read the thread, then i want it to take me to the very next post after my last post, so i can read from there.

i think im over explaining it and making it more difficult to understand what im saying

------------------
signature loading...
Old 14-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
Parricide
sloppy cunt

how do the rest of you typically browse new posts?
do you click that button then scroll up to the last post you saw and read from there?

------------------
signature loading...
Old 14-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
how do the rest of you typically browse new posts?
do you click that button then scroll up to the last post you saw and read from there?
I usually check my control panal for any new posts made to "Subscribed Threads" when I first log in..and then click the "New Posts" link on the top right of the screen and start from the top and work my way down.

------------------
Old 15-06-2018, 01:43 AM   #12
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
I usually check my control panal for any new posts made to "Subscribed Threads" when I first log in..and then click the "New Posts" link on the top right of the screen and start from the top and work my way down.
that is exactly what i do, but once you are on the control panel where do you click? i click the "go to last post" button then scroll up to the last post i saw. is that what everyone does?

------------------
signature loading...
Old 15-06-2018, 02:39 AM   #13
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 40710

Quote:
that is exactly what i do, but once you are on the control panel where do you click? i click the "go to last post" button then scroll up to the last post i saw. is that what everyone does?
I usually read the last post, then maybe the one above it, then if I'm not completely disillusioned or distracted and find something interesting, I'll try to find where I left off and read it in order, or randomly scroll around waiting for something to catch my eye. Mostly I just wander back to youtube for more cat videos.

That process repeats itself 2-3 times a day.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 05:17 AM   #14
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O)))
MC Status: -2147481947
Thanked 1,173 Times in 775 Posts

I'm literally still searching for this 'go to last post' button. I think I might be foruming wrong
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #15
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

Yeah total miscommunication.
I realised I'm not even saying things correctly.

So...the little orange and white button.
When I press it, it takes me to the first unread post (I guess you're calling that the oldest unread post, makes sense).

So yeah, seems like the button works differently for you than it does for me.
Reason - no idea.
Old 15-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #16
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I'm literally still searching for this 'go to last post' button. I think I might be foruming wrong
in any list of forums (e.g. the subscribed list in the control panel) on the right side of every thread, under the column labeled "last post", there is a button in the box next to the name of the person who last posted.

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
Vault O))) (15-06-2018)
Old 15-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #17
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Yeah total miscommunication.
I realised I'm not even saying things correctly.

So...the little orange and white button.
When I press it, it takes me to the first unread post (I guess you're calling that the oldest unread post, makes sense).

So yeah, seems like the button works differently for you than it does for me.
Reason - no idea.
weird! that is exactly what i want it to do! but mine is not orange and white??? maybe there is another button?

mine is here, circled on the right. is this the same button?:

------------------
signature loading...
Old 15-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
A.M

Quote:
I click on where it says "Last Post" in the brackets..at the end, just next to the Thread title on the left.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
lolirl (16-06-2018)
Old 15-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #19
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
I click on where it says "Last Post" in the brackets..at the end, just next to the Thread title on the left.
you mean "last page"?
because that is fine until the last post you saw is on a different page.

its only really when it is on a different page that it bothers me, otherwise its easy to scroll and quickly see where i am anyway, but once you go back a page all the posts are marked as read.

the button lolirl is using seems to be what i want, but i cant find it

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
A.M (15-06-2018)
Old 16-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #20
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

See where it says Hardware Thread in the picture you posted?
There's a tiny orange box with white in the bottom right corner, it's directly left of the title...you can even see it in the tiny preview - click it.

Advertisements