Best Plug-Ins for Final Mixes - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 26-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #41
AudioJunky
Knob Twiddler
AudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to behold
Johannesburg
MC Status: 781
Re: Best Plug-Ins for Final Mixes

This topic has been hijacked, it's now about AIs vs MEs

But the honest answer to OP. There's no best plugins for final mix. You just have to choose the necessary tools/plugins that will help you achieve your end goal.

It's not about best, it's all about what works and what sounds good. After reading the OP talking about just throwing an exciter, I realize this guy should just get a professional mixing engineer to do it for them.

I don't believe suggesting plugins will help them in any way. That's just my 2 cents.

Advertisements

------------------
AudioJunky is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #42
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 186360
Thanked 3,727 Times in 2,209 Posts

The best fucking plug is your ears+brain+a monitoring room you are familiar with.

Everything else is faggotry.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #43
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534601

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
The best fucking plug is your ears+brain+a monitoring room you are familiar with.
And once you have all that in place you may find the softube Weiss pretty handy.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to cane creek
A.M (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #44
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217310
Thanked 4,346 Times in 3,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
And once you have all that in place you may find the softube Weiss pretty handy.
Yeah..but, man, does it cost! A little out of my reach, but something I'd love to get my hands on.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #45
beigeboxgone
Granular Poster
beigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1060

From the couple things i have mastered I would say the best plug for mastering is anything that makes referencing easier and more effective. Use basic plugins to mimic the results.

I really like the plugin called Reference by mastering the mix because it will automatically match the loudness of the reference track.

Why this is the best type of tool.

1. It forces you to use your ears and experiment
2. Your sound system matters much less when you are referencing professional material (still listen in other places though)

That being said, a good limiter with true peak is nice. But I tend to master at around -1db anyway.

Just use EQ, multiband compression, maybe a little saturation (if needed). It is nice to have a lufs meter also. Keep some dynamics but a little crushery sometimes sounds good.

Just my opinions from intermediate experience.
beigeboxgone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #46
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5750043

Honestly, as mentioned above...If you're leaving a final mix to be mastered...etc....leave it blank. Anything you put on the master before finishing a mix will literally work perfectly inside the mix. Mainly because you'll have more ability to fine tune the chain to each group/track. Less compression here, more saturation there, reverb up, reverb down. Yadda yadda. So if you have stuff on your master, try copying it and taking it to your mix and messing around. Save as and go.

However, if you're like me and don't really plan on doing anything with whatever you make, 9 out of 10 times. You can put stuff on the ass end and bump it up. Just keep in mind, that isn't a "mix" anymore because anyone you give it to, to master, is going to be limited in their process, if not be knee-capped completely by how you push it. Of course, you could have someone "do it" anyway but don't be surprised when there isn't much difference beacuse you domed it to begin with.

If I do add some stuff for my own listening, I tend to do saturation, followed by eq. Then I will compress and make it up until i slightly hit over 0,0. Then limit just under 0,0, say like ,3. and not actually gain on the limiter. It's really there just to catch stray peaks like a snare.

To each their own though.

------------------
Say YES!

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #47
beigeboxgone
Granular Poster
beigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud ofbeigeboxgone has much to be proud of

My last comment was about mastering not the final mix. But some of the same philosophy holds true. Use basic plugins. Reference a lot. I use a gentle / regular compression not multiband on my mix and some EQ that chops out the low/high end crap below 30 and above 18. That is it. Highest peak hitting at -6 but doesn't have to be that accurate. The compression is more of a gentle glue. It doesn't do much. I keep the same compression settings throughout the mixing process. I might make some very minor adjustments.

Use stock plugs
Old 03-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #48
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5750043

Quote:
Originally Posted by beigeboxgone View Post
My last comment was about mastering not the final mix. But some of the same philosophy holds true. Use basic plugins. Reference a lot. I use a gentle / regular compression not multiband on my mix and some EQ that chops out the low/high end crap below 30 and above 18. That is it. Highest peak hitting at -6 but doesn't have to be that accurate. The compression is more of a gentle glue. It doesn't do much. I keep the same compression settings throughout the mixing process. I might make some very minor adjustments.

Use stock plugs
Oh and yea, I didn't mean you specifically when I meant "mentioned above" just the posts in the thread, before mine.

I definitely agree, unless it's free, that a basic in-DAW effect is great for getting a base feel for a type of effect. Whehter or not it becomes what you use, it's a good source to learn from because it came with your foundation, to begin with.

Very much a fan of stock plugs.

------------------
Say YES!

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:37 AM   #49
vo1k1
Regular Freak
vo1k1 will become famous soon enoughvo1k1 will become famous soon enough
Chicago
MC Status: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtgestalth View Post
... The Tonal Balance Control is awesome to quickly fix unwanted peaks and holes and Ozone got better with LUFS and reference track mastering. ...

Tonal Balance Control seems very interesting - I very much want to try this. I’ve not grok’ed the tutorials yet, so will just experiment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
vo1k1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:18 AM   #50
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 35960

All my mixes have a copy of Alloy on the master buss that I use to hipass and lopass my mix for reference and a bitshift gain to gainstage it so I can keep mixes down low and I don't have to push my amp too hard. I lose one or two bits of bit depth during mixdown that way, but it just makes me do even cleaner mixes since I don't have as much headroom and I get that all back when I turn it off and do a 32 bit render to go into my mastering chain.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #51
beigeboxgone
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo1k1 View Post
Tonal Balance Control seems very interesting - I very much want to try this. I’ve not grok’ed the tutorials yet, so will just experiment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I do love the tonal balance plug quite a bit especially since you can create your own curves and it ignores loudness. Amazing stuff but it can also be taken too literally. It can be addicting to try to get closer and closer to the reference but ultimately there is so many differences in tones that it is best to glance at it and be in range. I suppose I am trying to say supplement the ears because I have made the mistakes hahaha. Good learning tool also.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #52
Mea Thrills
IDMf's latest spammer
Mea Thrills is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Boost Pro by Sample Magic works great before the master bus to make it sound fuller.
Mea Thrills is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #53
ltoc
Minor Glitch
ltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwintrails View Post

If you are mastering your tracks, do you guys use compression or limiting on the final mix or wait and allow the masterer to do all that? Also, what plug-ins do you prefer to use on entire tracks?

Personally, I always throw an exciter on. It seems to really make the tracks shine.

I do plan on mastering, and also pressing to vinyl, which I know is another story in and of itself. But I guess I just don't know how much I should really focus on polishing each individual track, if essentially that is the masterer's job.
I maybe repeating myself from my previous post, but when it comes to final mix (pre-master) you cannot go wrong if you cut low freq mud from stereo channel. Best way to do this is to high pass your every plugin or any other equipment (reverbs, delays, choruses etc.) at around 500 Hz. This is really important for vinyl cutting because of the limitation of vinyl plate as a medium. There is a great interview done by Warren Huart on YouTube with Pete Lyman of Infrasonic Mastering in which they talk about mastering for vinyl and vinyl cutting process.

If you like to use exciter and it's part of your sound, that's great. Same goes for limiters and compressors on stereo bus (and any other tool on stereo bus), whether you are in production/recording/composing phase or in postproduction/mixing phase.

My mastering chain is fairly simple, I use Sonnox EQ -> Slate Digital FGX (dithering), but I started couple of years ago to mix through a stereo bus. Stereo bus chain is usually mastering EQ in mid/side mode -> Pultec clone -> SSL stereo bus compressor clone. That compressor at the end of the chain is used just to tuck some peaks (especially low end peaks). That's an old technique, where you put maximum value on SSL for attack (slowest reaction time) and minimum for release (fastest reaction time). This way you get tight and organic sounding mix.

I don't know if this is still relevant for your project, but I hope it will be relevant for your future projects, especially if you plan to cut your records to vinyl.

Damir
ltoc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ltoc
beigeboxgone (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #54
beigeboxgone
Granular Poster

My final mix (not master) chain is three plugins.

EQ>Compressor>EQ

The EQs are simply cutting(dimming) the ultra lows and ultra highs with very gentle curves / Q settings. It isn't doing a whole lot if I mix everything correctly. Steep EQ curves introduce very subtle resonate tails to transients regardless of its frequency. If you want steeper curves save that linear phase EQ for mastering in my opinion. Linear phase you can get away with steepness.

Saying this because I recently found out I was shooting myself in the foot.

------------------
"If you cannot get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you best teach it to dance."
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #55
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 35960

Quote:
Originally Posted by beigeboxgone View Post
My final mix (not master) chain is three plugins.

EQ>Compressor>EQ

The EQs are simply cutting(dimming) the ultra lows and ultra highs with very gentle curves / Q settings. It isn't doing a whole lot if I mix everything correctly. Steep EQ curves introduce very subtle resonate tails to transients regardless of its frequency. If you want steeper curves save that linear phase EQ for mastering in my opinion. Linear phase you can get away with steepness.

Saying this because I recently found out I was shooting myself in the foot.
I shudder every time I see someone pull out a brickwall filter anywhere in the mix. So many phase issues.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #56
bu.re_
Granular Poster
bu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to beholdbu.re_ is a splendid one to behold
los angeles
MC Status: 810

i use fabfilter's mastering suite. i use the pro-l ii, and pro-q on basically every track. it's not cheap, but i feel like it's well worth it.
bu.re_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #57
Vault O)))
Mushroom dick
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 68110
Thanked 1,362 Times in 885 Posts

The best ones are still native plugins for me, but maybe that's because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Mastering suites and really expensive shit that I've demoed just gives me more of an opportunity to fuck everything up, but the same might not be true for most people

Advertisements

Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote