My Process Is Terrible: Any good vids? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #21
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5810
Re: My Process Is Terrible: Any good vids?

I've heard that one of the things which can trigger depression is mess / disorganisation.

Whether or not that is true, it has a parallel with music making. I'm not talking about the state of your studio (I would not dare, considering mine).

It may take many years, but you have to iron the mess and disorganisation out of your workflow. This is difficult because if it is messy that's because you don't know exactly which direction to go in musically. So many of us have to do a number of chicken/egg cycles. E.g., going through different DAWs, or trying different hardware, or workflow possibilities; this is made even more complex if you're trying to factor in live performance.

But try to aim towards a well-delineated, stripped down workflow. It's really important to understand that you shouldn't be trying to do everything. This is true even when you're making complex music, using complex devices.

I am more happy with my current workflow for electronic music than I have been previously. Currently I do a tonne of sound design in a DAW, then pull samples out of this. I port all these samples across to my MPC (which is a sampler/sequencer). Once I'm in the MPC I cannot be distracted by DAW complexities so easily - I've completed the sound design phase - no more layering kicks etc.!! This way I can focus wholly on the composition and arrangement (The MPC is powerful enough to manage all the basic mixing tasks). My final phase is to bring it back into the DAW for a final tweak and ultimately mastering, but this is only once the tune is finished.

Anyone else might have a completely different process. Even so, what you will almost always find is that people who get a lot of music finished have a stripped down, well-oiled, well segmented workflow which gives them dependable results. The thing is, it's very hard to get this right straight up - takes most of us years.

Advertisements

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote