Better to "push buttons" or not play live at all?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810
Better to "push buttons" or not play live at all?

Im contemplating playing a few of my synthpoppy tracks at a open dj night at a dinky goth bar where maybe 25 people would show up. I have no band and basically no show as it would just be me running the gear. I've never performed live before though you can't really call what I'd be doing "performing".

So the question is, should I do this at all? It's sounds kinda lame but I have to start somewhere right? Which is better-some douche pushing buttons to instrumental tracks for a near empty house or just not playing at all so no one has to witness the suck?

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584030
Thanked 7,862 Times in 5,530 Posts
Re: Better to "push buttons" or not play live at all?

Can you go into more detail. Would you literally just be playing the tracks from a laptop? No (DJ) mixing? No playing anything live? Tweaking knobs? Clip launching with pads?

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35510

LMGTFY

https://www.ableton.com/answers/how-...ve-performance

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/te...ormance-610671

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...e-ableton-live

All ableton live centered, cuz you know it’s ableton “live”!
But I’ve read other stuff for using reason as a live synth rack for example.
Google is your friend, and practice will sort you out at least a bit.
That said this is advice from someone who’s never played live for anyone more than like 2 people in my basement so easier said than done fo sho!

Edit: you seem to be a cubase guy, but you could probably work this out on a free version of live that might come with a controller or something like that. As long as you prepare your tracks and export loops.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 44860

If all you're going to do is press play on some of your tracks back to back for exposure or whatever, I'd skip it. It sounds like the kind of thing that can net you more bad press than good, because it's ultra-lame. If you're actually going to put on some sort of set or show, I'm all about fumbling through missteps to learn something.

There's a reason that most live musicians spend months practicing before ever playing live. There's no reason you shouldn't either. As bare bones as you're talking, you might as well set that up in your bedroom and do it if you just want the experience. Use that as a way to further the concept - "it'd be cool if <insert thing> happened here" or "this would sound better if I throw in some modulation here". That's literally how live bands hone their material, and there's no reason you can't as well.

Alternately, if the club's going to be playing canned music anyway, you could always just print a couple tunes and hand them over to the house to put in the mix.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Can you go into more detail. Would you literally just be playing the tracks from a laptop? No (DJ) mixing? No playing anything live? Tweaking knobs? Clip launching with pads?
Depending on the track I'd be playing smaller synth parts or triggering drums and samples or tweaking fx....also thought about breaking out the bass axe to play some of the basslines.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
FTD
IDMf Artist
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3464855

I saw this tweet the other day - https://twitter.com/prodnose/status/947978882317258752

To answer your questions, get out there and do it

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 185510
Thanked 3,710 Times in 2,200 Posts

Look.

There once was Elvis, being all sexy (for some) doing the rock n roll stage show thing.

The fact that, nearly seventy years later, people insist on having that kind of stage presence is just backwards. Add to that the fact that, at the same time, they stare at a dj, fuckling clueless, and think he's a genius and "master of his craft" or some shit.

Wtf man.

This is a pivot time when useless but rigid things have to flex and give, break. Do what YOU, the architecht of the music, can/must do to deliver your thing the way you want it delivered.

That said, rehearsing makes you better.

Also, I'm drunk.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584030
Thanked 7,862 Times in 5,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
Depending on the track I'd be playing smaller synth parts or triggering drums and samples or tweaking fx....also thought about breaking out the bass axe to play some of the basslines.
That’s cool. I mean, I think any of that stuff works. My only suggestion would be keep it simple, practice, get OK with the fact you’ll probably make some mistakes, get used to playing through them (though maybe you’ve played in bands before if you play bass).

I haven’t played a gig in a good long while and had one dumped in my lap. It didn’t take me too long to downgrade from full on “Live PA” to clip launching and FX tweaking to “fuck it, I’m just doing a DJ set”. Lol

I don’t know what the time line here is or if this is like a reaccuring open mic, but don’t rush into something because you feel liike it’ll be your only opportunity.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
leegendmusic
Minor Glitch
leegendmusic has a spectacular aura aboutleegendmusic has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

if you're performing live such as a dj set... do it, its great experience even if its only 5 people that shows up i've performed at a club and it was a great and fun experience.
leegendmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #10
Vault O)))
Mushroom dick
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 67510
Thanked 1,350 Times in 881 Posts

It's not too campy IMO to play your shit as a backing track and bust out an instrument so they're at least getting like 1/26th of the real experience. Even if it's just the lead synth parts, you'll actually be playing something live, and I feel like that would really show off your talent and make you not look like you're just pushing buttons.

Do push some buttons, though.

Advertisements

Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote