Alternative Dubstep - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 23-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #41
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
kingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MC
London/South Coast
MC Status: 3901373
Re: Alternative Dubstep

Safe, anyone read Kode 9's book? Planning on picking it up soon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-Warfar...7332592&sr=1-1

Quote:
Sound can be deployed to produce discomfort, express a threat, or create an ambience of fear or dread--to produce a bad vibe. Sonic weapons of this sort include the "psychoacoustic correction" aimed at Panama strongman Manuel Noriega by the U.S. Army and at the Branch Davidians in Waco by the FBI, sonic booms (or "sound bombs") over the Gaza strip, and high frequency rat repellants used against teenagers in malls. At the same time, artists and musicians generate intense frequencies in the search for new aesthetic experiences and new ways of mobilizing bodies in rhythm. In Sonic Warfare, Steve Goodman explores these uses of acoustic force and how they affect populations. Most theoretical discussions of sound and music cultures in relationship to power, Goodman argues, have a missing dimension: the politics of frequency. Goodman supplies this by drawing a speculative diagram of sonic forces, investigating the deployment of sound systems in the modulation of affect. Traversing philosophy, science, fiction, aesthetics, and popular culture, he maps a (dis)continuum of vibrational force, encompassing police and military research into acoustic means of crowd control, the corporate deployment of sonic branding, and the intense sonic encounters of sound art and music culture. Goodman concludes with speculations on the not yet heard--the concept of unsound, which relates to both the peripheries of auditory perception and the unactualized nexus of rhythms and frequencies within audible bandwidths.

Advertisements

------------------
kingldub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #42
thechemist
Knob Twiddler
thechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1862

I haven't you know, didn't even know he wrote one, I know he was a sonic theory professor at one point in his life. Should be worth a read though! I read that interview he did with some American person, did you think the questions were a bit boring and run of the mill? I got that impression but Steve is anything but imo the guy never fails to impress.

Ok some tunes

This is definitely my favourite from Kryptic Minds

Quest with another incredible tune, I swear this guy hasn't made a shit tune yet

Gemmy remix of A Night On The Wonk, it's disturbingly beautiful and eerie, MUST LISTEN TWICE if not thrice

Von D and Phe Phe, probably the best producer/singer combo on the planet, serious vibes

Radio rip of Von D and Phe Phe - You're the One.

Before anyone asks, yes this is now the official Von D appreciation thread this is called Love Music

This is simply incredible, I have no idea who recorded it or even if Von knew it was being recorded, but if there was a reason why youtube was invented in the first place, this is it surely

Last one, Duncan Powell, I'm not saying anything else, just check it out

Enjoy

------------------
thechemist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #43
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

Artist: Throwing Snow
Track: Cronos

Last edited by NeuralPunk; 25-06-2010 at 02:14 PM..

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #44
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingldub View Post
Safe, anyone read Kode 9's book? Planning on picking it up soon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-Warfar...7332592&sr=1-1
Didn't enjoy it at all to be honest. Its written like something from the post-modernism essay generator.

Supposedly it is quite good though (if you believe the reviews) but I couldn't get with his writing style (prefered reading the 1st review on Amazon tbh).

Last edited by NeuralPunk; 24-06-2010 at 03:06 PM..

------------------
Old 24-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #45
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode9
Sound can be deployed to produce discomfort, express a threat, or create an ambience of fear or dread--to produce a bad vibe. Sonic weapons of this sort include the "psychoacoustic correction" aimed at Panama strongman Manuel Noriega by the U.S. Army and at the Branch Davidians in Waco by the FBI, sonic booms (or "sound bombs") over the Gaza strip, and high frequency rat repellants used against teenagers in malls. At the same time, artists and musicians generate intense frequencies in the search for new aesthetic experiences and new ways of mobilizing bodies in rhythm. In Sonic Warfare, Steve Goodman explores these uses of acoustic force and how they affect populations. Most theoretical discussions of sound and music cultures in relationship to power, Goodman argues, have a missing dimension: the politics of frequency. Goodman supplies this by drawing a speculative diagram of sonic forces, investigating the deployment of sound systems in the modulation of affect. Traversing philosophy, science, fiction, aesthetics, and popular culture, he maps a (dis)continuum of vibrational force, encompassing police and military research into acoustic means of crowd control, the corporate deployment of sonic branding, and the intense sonic encounters of sound art and music culture. Goodman concludes with speculations on the not yet heard--the concept of unsound, which relates to both the peripheries of auditory perception and the unactualized nexus of rhythms and frequencies within audible bandwidths.
Wat.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #46
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
kingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MC
London/South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMonk View Post
Didn't enjoy it at all to be honest. Its written like something from the post-modernism essay generator.

Supposedly it is quite good though (if you believe the reviews) but I couldn't get with his writing style (prefered reading the 1st review on Amazon tbh).
That's a shame, it's an interesting subject, I'd be interested whether the man himself has written it or not. I'll give it a go anyways and see what I make of it.

------------------
Old 25-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #47
thechemist
Knob Twiddler
thechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant futurethechemist has a brilliant future

Rural that tune makes me want to float away on a cloud of sound, lovely, thank you.

Lebeux I think he's trying to say that sound if it can be fully understood can have amazing effects on people from the most negative to the most positive, either as sonic weaponary, or as music to make you dance or feel emotion, they just said it in an over complicated way imo. I'm still going to be picking it up at some point too

------------------
Old 15-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #48
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka

A lovely little mix....

POBmix 005 - Zhou - Artificial Light Mix

Zhou - Apotheke pt II
Asa - Intimate (Kähn remix)
Zhou - Koami
Zhou - Hold
ENA - Boomerang
RSD - Prophecy
ENA - Winter City
Zhou - Artificial Light
B-LAM - Synchronicity & Raw
Ruckspin & Fez - All Night
Kähn - Younger
Kode 9 & Spaceape - Sine Of The Dub
Zhou - Marsh
Mala - Level 9

Also @kingldub and thechemist, did you guys ever get around to reading Kode9's book, any feedback (PMing me would be the best way to reply I guess, just to keep things on topic )

Last edited by NeuralPunk; 15-07-2010 at 11:47 PM..

------------------
Old 22-07-2010, 02:16 AM   #49
thechemist
Knob Twiddler

Nice one Rural that mix is gorgeous I haven't picked the book up yet tbh it's on the list though.
Haven't been on here in absolutely ages, been lost in production land but I got some new shit to share with the alternative heads and also some new tunes coming from myself so keep eyes peeled in the listening booth

Hatcha and Lost, this one's large

If you haven't got the mount kimbie album yet... don't even talk to me, I will not listen. Here's a little taster for you guys from ST Holdings

Official video for Would Know

Addison Groove

Deep Medi camp are officially running dubstep imo

Planas, nuf said

That's it for today, hope you all enjoy the vibe, I'll leave you with the immortal words of kingldub "it's not all mid-range wobble you know"

------------------
Old 23-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #50
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

Also not picked up the book yet, moneys a bit tight right now
Two new albums coming up, nothing concrete but both Darkstar and Goth Trad are reported to have new albums in the works.
New Kromestar is awesome also.

------------------
Old 24-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #51
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

Sorry for the double post guys but I picked this up and had to share it with you all.

SBTRKT is pretty hit and miss IMO but this collaboration is on point, liking this release a lot.

Details if you're interested

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/312538-sbtrkt-sampha-break-off

Also available in MP3 or FLAC from the link above

------------------
Old 30-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #52
thechemist
Knob Twiddler

I feel the same about SBTRKT tbh, but he's made some bangers too enit, those ones ^^ are SICK, the break off remix is shit hot man nice one for picking them up, I just got a job that starts in September so I'll be shopping for a pair of Technics and timecoded vinyl by xmas hopefully (just thought I'd share)

I'll put some new videos up later on before the thread sinks

------------------
Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #53
Sminch
Regular Freak
Sminch is currently spamming hard
Bristol
MC Status: 10

Anything by starkey, joy orbison or burial(kind of garagey tho!)

Sminch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #54
thechemist
Knob Twiddler

Big up sminch, you're in good company then mate

Just wanted to share a track by myself with the alternative dubstep crew (and the future garage crew)

This one ripped from the Boomnoise show

This one high quality

------------------
Old 14-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #55
Isomorphix
Granular Poster
Isomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond reputeIsomorphix has a reputation beyond repute
Tampa Bay, Florida
MC Status: 5659

+100000000000000 to this thread for being undeniably awesome.

By the way, Chemist, I checked out those Apple Pips recordings, and they ARE amazing!! And now I'm interested, where do you find all this non-dubby dubstep? I love it!!

I got pretty sick of wobble basses and ambient nothingness dubs, so hearing something with maybe IDM, trip-hop, downtempo, etc. influences has renewed my faith in the genre.
Isomorphix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #56
thechemist
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorphix View Post
+100000000000000 to this thread for being undeniably awesome.

By the way, Chemist, I checked out those Apple Pips recordings, and they ARE amazing!! And now I'm interested, where do you find all this non-dubby dubstep? I love it!!

I got pretty sick of wobble basses and ambient nothingness dubs, so hearing something with maybe IDM, trip-hop, downtempo, etc. influences has renewed my faith in the genre.
Thanks dude, that's exactly what I wanted to do on this forum, just show everyone that dubstep isn't all wobbly

Finding these records is pretty easy, I don't buy vinyl myself as I don't have decks yet. But as long as you keep checking the labels websites/myspaz/facebook etc then you can stay up to date on the digi releases, that's what I do anyway. There's so many great labels now for this side of dubstep, and most of them will release through Chemical, or Juno, or digital tunes, or itunes or beatport. A couple labels I've been watching are Area Recordings (very deep hypnotic tunes) Soul Motive, Apple Pips, Punch Drunk, Hessle and Hotflush.

Hopefully that helps you out a bit Isomorphix

------------------
Old 14-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #57
flippo
Granular Poster
flippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MCflippo is a savage MC
Asia
MC Status: 162387

pips is the one

------------------
flippo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #58
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

All about Vaccine for me right now. Beautiful lady, beautiful music, can't go wrong.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Old 17-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #59
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka

Last edited by NeuralPunk; 17-08-2010 at 05:20 PM..

------------------
Old 23-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #60
thechemist
Knob Twiddler

Vaccine has been doing it since I first heard her tunes man, consistently amazing

Thanks for the Throwing Snow tracks too Rural, I don't know how he does it, but I hope he never stops

Got a few more vids for you guys First few are from Headhunter

Untold

Next time I post I'll put some Juke tracks up Swamp 81 style, for anyone who feels like a change of pace Enjoy

Advertisements

------------------