Audio Interface Input 1 broken?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560
Audio Interface Input 1 broken?

Hey guys...

I eventually found out, that this glitchy noise, that started to appear on my speakers some time ago is actually coming from Input 1 of my Steinberg UR44 Interface.

I had one of my mono synths plugged into Input 1, that I didn´t use very often for some time and a few weeks ago, I plugged the Cue Out L from my Octatrack into Input 1 on the UR44 to record the kick drum seperately and I started to notice little spikes in the waveforms of my recordings.
So i plugged the Cue Out into Input 2 and my Monotribe into Input 1 and the spikes are clearly there.

This is a several minutes long recording the Monotribe running a seqquence:

So what should I do about it? I´ve bought the UR44 in used condition a few months ago, not sure if the problem has been there the first time I plugged everything in, but it seems to get worse over time.

There was like one glitchy noise every other hour and now they appear quite often. Is there something dying inside the UR44? Should I try to get it repaired? Is it save to work with it and just not use input 1?

Advertisements

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 186460
Thanked 3,729 Times in 2,211 Posts
Re: Audio Interface Input 1 broken?

Hm...

I'd start with making sure the interface is using it's very own usb port, no hubs...

Then the other thing that comes to mind is the electrical circuit(s) you are using to power your studio. Here I have one of my appartment's circuits powering my studio ONLY. Only the audio gear is powered by those outlets. That might help prevent audibles noises from other devices/appliances powering on/off (such as your fridge or your laundry machine) in your home from fucking your shit up.

I fried a Presonus firewire interface (non bus powered) in the past in this flat, presumably because the studio was carelessly powered by several circuits. One of which had a faulty ground.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
Schnork (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

Thanks!

That's how I've set it up already. Everything is powered from the two sockets under my desk (which should the same circuit) and basically the whole room is only used for making music. My wife does some drawing and painting there sometimes, but basically it's my music room.

Audio Interface is plugged into an usb port on my laptop, the hub is plugged into another one which should be different usb controllers.
Mouse, keyboard and midi controllers are plugged into the hub.
It's been a while since I've set everything up and actually I've forgotten lots of the technical details regarding usb and all that usb controller stuff , but it worked perfectly for the past three years.
Last time I changed something in my setup was the audio interface, which also worked without problems.
I'm not 100% sure if that gliitch noise thing has been there from the beginning, because I did'nt use Input 1 so much, but
I did some testing with everything unplugged except the audio interface and a mono synth, the noise was still there.

I'll do some tests in another room laterz.

Last edited by Schnork; 12-09-2018 at 06:50 PM..

------------------
Old 14-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
Schnork
IDMf Artist

So...I've tried all USB Ports (while everything else was disconnected, only the interface via USB and a mono synth in input 1), that glitchy beep noise is still there. It's even there when nothing is plugged into the inputs.

I don't know...maybe I should try a different computer..

------------------
Old 14-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 186460
Thanked 3,729 Times in 2,211 Posts

Maybe try rolling the driver back to an earlier version?

I'm just throwing ideas here...
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544177
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,353 Posts

Mac or PC?

if you are on a PC check out the DPC checker app, it'll show you when/if you are getting CPU spikes from background apps that could be affecting your USB Bus

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18051769
Thanked 1,035 Times in 780 Posts

have you opened it up yet? there could be an obviously damaged component.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
Vault O)))
Vegan destroyer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 68110
Thanked 1,362 Times in 885 Posts

Not to be a debbie downer, but anytime this has happened to me it was on the interface end. I'd suggest running it on any other PC with a different OS (so it can fetch the drivers or whatever), but if it spontaneously started happening out of nowhere that's not a good sign

If you can get away with not using that input, you're probably fine if the rest work
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 45160

It's almost certainly a component issue inside the interface, likely a loose connection or bad solder on the input or coupled pull down resistor. The noise looks like a ground issue to me, but that's just best guess.

That said, I'd always suggest ruling out the cheaper fixes first - try it on a different computer, different cables, different USB ports, whatever. After that, I'd contact Steinberg support by email and send them that picture. You could also take the cover off and poke around while you record to see if you can isolate a bad component (just use a chopstick or other non-conductive item to do so).

If the issue is just on a single input, it shouldn't be an issue to just not use that input. The problem doesn't seem like an issue with the entire unit or a power issue, so I'd think it's safe to use as a whole.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Schnork
IDMf Artist

Thank you very much guys!

I didn't find the time to test the UR44 on another computer, yet, but dpc latency checker didn't show any issues and using older driver versions didn't change anything either.

I came across a few posts on the Steinberg forum from UR series owners (UR22, UR44 and UR248), that seem to have the same problem.
Unfortunately, no solution there.
Actually I couldn't find anything from Steinberg regarding that matter.

I really hope there's a solution, because the interface is actually pretty cool! It works stand alone, there's dsp effects and mixer (with IOS app control), direct monitoring, two headphone outs with different headphone mixes and stuff...

Btw, the issue is still there when I use the interface without the computer, so that would point to an actual hardware issue, wouldn't it?
I mean, in stand alone mode, it can't be a driver issue?

I'll do some further tests later, take a look inside and write to the support

Thanks!

------------------
Old 16-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18051769
Thanked 1,035 Times in 780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Thank you very much guys!

I didn't find the time to test the UR44 on another computer, yet, but dpc latency checker didn't show any issues and using older driver versions didn't change anything either.

I came across a few posts on the Steinberg forum from UR series owners (UR22, UR44 and UR248), that seem to have the same problem.
Unfortunately, no solution there.
Actually I couldn't find anything from Steinberg regarding that matter.

I really hope there's a solution, because the interface is actually pretty cool! It works stand alone, there's dsp effects and mixer (with IOS app control), direct monitoring, two headphone outs with different headphone mixes and stuff...

Btw, the issue is still there when I use the interface without the computer, so that would point to an actual hardware issue, wouldn't it?
I mean, in stand alone mode, it can't be a driver issue?

I'll do some further tests later, take a look inside and write to the support

Thanks!
the fact that it does it with no computer connected rules out a few of the suggestions here, and you are correct, it cant be a driver problem either.

if everything else is the same (cables, hardware, etc) that you have tried on both inputs then its probably that channels hardware as you suspected

it could still be a problem with power supply noise though, although i would expect to see this across all channels (unless there is an issue somewhere on that channels circuit. might be worth trying the interface in standalone mode on another circuit in your house, preferably isolated, maybe even someone elses house, but try to turn off any other equipment using the same circuit to minimise the chance of noise.

did you open it yet? you might find an obvious problem, maybe even one you can fix yourself.

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
Schnork (17-09-2018)