DJing: "Pre-recorded" sets vs. improvised DJ mix Afrojack tell-all
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584080
Thanked 7,863 Times in 5,531 Posts
DJing: "Pre-recorded" sets vs. improvised DJ mix Afrojack tell-all

So I've really softened my opinions about lot of things when it comes to music as I approach middle age. I found this interview of Afrojack by Laidback Luke quite fascinating. The a-ha moment for me was when Afrojack basically says: 90% of fans at a big festival come to hear my hits. We put on a show like a rock band. We have a set list as its the only way to coordinate a big production. If I'm at a club, I improvise from the record collection I've brought.

Just curious if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Advertisements

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 133160
Thanked 2,663 Times in 1,544 Posts
Re: DJing: "Pre-recorded" sets vs. improvised DJ mix Afrojack tell-all

I don't see anything wrong with pre-recorded anything in big events. Treat is like hearing your favourite tunes in a much more superior sound system and very different atmosphere which is probable the main reason you ended up there, maybe with your friends too. I doubt anyone goes there to watch some DJ for his skills, especially in EDM genre. I doubt that your main reason to go there is just to stare into one guy on stage doing things and take notes what's he's faking or not.

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Iyashi Sound
Master of the LFO
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
Svaneke
MC Status: 20660

If the performer is pretending to mix records while running a pre-recorded set, the performance is no longer a musical performance, - but something more akin to theatre. The musician becomes an actor pretending to be a musician (pretending to be himself as a musician).

There's nothing wrong with acting, though.

The skills needed to be a good actor and the skills needed to be a good musician are just not always present in the same people.

Good musicians can be bad actors.

But if you take it seriously, and embrace theatre as an art-form - it can be used to great effect.

One example that comes to mind is how The Knife used to do stuff like this at their live shows, - the musicians dancing to pre-recorded music wearing messed-up outfits, miming in bizarre ways etc. It was pretty funny.

If you, on the other hand, are on stage feeling ashamed about pretending, - then it can quickly become painfully awkward for everyone.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 10-09-2018 at 05:51 PM..
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Vegan destroyer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 68110
Thanked 1,362 Times in 885 Posts

I wouldn't even feel ripped off if a band lip-synced everything and piped in tracks from behind the stage. People still get shit from kvlt fvns about using triggered drums and samples when they're live, but being in the presence of your dudes / dudettes and having fun kind of opens it up to being prerecorded... so it can be an awesome show without any hiccups

The only time it matters is when you can't own up to it, or when your acting skills still fail you:

Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584080
Thanked 7,863 Times in 5,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I wouldn't even feel ripped off if a band lip-synced everything and piped in tracks from behind the stage. People still get shit from kvlt fvns about using triggered drums and samples when they're live, but being in the presence of your dudes / dudettes and having fun kind of opens it up to being prerecorded... so it can be an awesome show without any hiccups

The only time it matters is when you can't own up to it, or when your acting skills still fail you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kpxA-TOLmA

Case in point: Top of the Pops (at least used to be) pre-recorded and mimed. There is actually quite a funny story about it in Moby's autobiography.

Interesting responses everyone. Wasn't really attempting to stir the pot, but I kind of expected to for there to be more negative responses to the idea of pre-recorded anything here on IDMf.

But when you really think about the way a lot of music is made today, like how do you even attempt to make it "live". People love live bands. Even an average cover band is good when its a bunch of drunk people having a blast at a bar. But we see the posts around here and other forums all the time from folks working mostly in DAWs (and it isn't even limited to electronic music) they want to start gigging but have no clue how to make their music "live" and worry endlessly about want counts as live music.

Then I also think about bands like Imagine Dragons (fucking can't stand them personally, but that isn't the point). Like...if you've heard a handful of their songs on the radio you might ask...why does this band even have a drummer. Maybe I'm totally off, but the beats are very simple and sound like they were "produced" to me. Like wtf does that guy even do on stage when they play live. A lot of modern electronic ish folk pop bands have this vibe for me.

Advertisements

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote