Strophic form essential?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
MobileOak
Microknight
MobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud of
Seattle
MC Status: 1260
Strophic form essential?

I'm just starting, haven't even been doing this for a month yet, but one of the first songs I've been working on, I found myself writing (without thinking about it) a techno/trance song in ternary form. When I had a friend listen to it, he made comments to the effect that he expected a trance song to have a strictly strophic form instead. I've been listening again to several of my favorite songs and it does seem that strophic form is the predominant method.

I'm reminded of my time dabbling in photography, learning about the rule of thirds in aiding (visual) composition, with the caveat that you can always break the rules if you know what you're doing. Is sticking to strophic form in trance something you would say is a relatively firm "rule", or is it just something that's common?

Advertisements

MobileOak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Qwer-Ky
Minor Glitch
Qwer-Ky is a splendid one to beholdQwer-Ky is a splendid one to beholdQwer-Ky is a splendid one to beholdQwer-Ky is a splendid one to beholdQwer-Ky is a splendid one to beholdQwer-Ky is a splendid one to beholdQwer-Ky is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 845
Re: Strophic form essential?

In b4 "All theory is just guidelines" blah blah etc.
Although,

Feel free to write in whatever form suits the song best. If the song sounds great in ternary form, keep it.

Although you might wanna try restructing it in a strophic format. Who knows, maybe it'll sound better? xP
It's a common feature for a reason, isn't it?

What I wanna see is one written as a fugue... xD

Last edited by Qwer-Ky; 08-05-2012 at 06:07 PM..
Qwer-Ky is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

Being formulaic and predictable is a good part of the appeal of popular music. If you drift too far from the formula it becomes something else - in this case the music would serve a different function and appeal to a different audience.
So it all depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to destroy big room dancefloors, making your music less predictable is the worst idea.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Feral_P
Radial Developer
Feral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MC
MC Status: 967577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwer-Ky View Post
In b4 "All theory is just guidelines" blah blah etc.

It's funny because it's true.
Feral_P is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
MobileOak
Microknight
MobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud ofMobileOak has much to be proud of
Seattle
MC Status: 1260

What would you guys consider the second most common form besides strophic?
MobileOak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Feral_P
Radial Developer
Feral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MC
MC Status: 967577

Maybe theme and variations, for instrumental music, at least?

Advertisements

Feral_P is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote