[IDMF039 Open] Oatbag - There Isn't
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 109960
Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,426 Posts
[IDMF039 Open] Oatbag - There Isn't

This was my (rejected) submission to the IDMF039 Comp. Once again - I got a little carried away. I cleaned it up a little. There used to be some really lame vocals.

Last edited by Oatbag; 08-04-2013 at 12:43 AM..

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [IDMF039 Open] Oatbag - There Isn't.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
velqn
Microknight
velqn has a spectacular aura aboutvelqn has a spectacular aura aboutvelqn has a spectacular aura about
Sofia
MC Status: 210
Re: [IDMF039 Open] Oatbag - There Isn't

Hi Oatbag,

The start feels kind of unpredictable but then very powerful with the chopped/processed vocals. The drum programming is absolute amazing - love it. Big sounding, drum n bass-y rhythm.

Rolling drums starting from 3.09 are well placed. The lead synth on 3.40 sounds also well mixed to the entire track. I was thinking what could improve the sound or the track but honestly it's an accomplished track already - good work!

------------------
velqn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163791
Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,048 Posts

Cool stuff.. And yes, it's slightly better than the one with vocals I heard on SC.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast

I'm still not really happy with the snare sounds I have going on. Need to not listen to it for a good long while and then fix those up without my brain expecting one thing.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69860
Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,035 Posts

This is interesting man I'll give ya that,

Dont even trip about the rejected deal, I was too lol.

But yeah I think this is cool, the comb like filtered voice thing is pretty trippy,

I think this could use some more work IMHO, specifically on the snare, and the kick I want to say,

I think I'm being thrown off drum wise because how old school it sounds, so different strokes Im guessing lol.

I know the feel on waiting a bit before working again, it really sucks when you get attached/used to how something sounds so you end up referencing it and then thinking that was the right way.

But hell man, cheers for trying out

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 24460

This reminded me of aphex twin for some reason. If you just want a label there is a place called leminal records that you can send a demo to if you're interested. They prefer idm. I liked it.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
totleben
IDMf's latest spammer
totleben is currently spamming hard
Sofia
MC Status: 10

+ Great rhythm! And the vocoder-like vocals are really creating nice mood.
- I don't like the intro (little bit too long) and that ringing sound.
totleben is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

how didnt this get accepted? seems appropriate as shit for the type of release its going to end up being. anyway really love the rhythm of every layer. everything fits very well. i think the kick bass is a bit muddy on my speakers, some small eq'ing could go a long way.

but yea, the first drop into the beat is excellent man. total idm head nodder

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199653418
Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,258 Posts

You have a very interesting style.

I enjoyed this piece. I thought though, however, the one that I heard on Malm Up Your Alley a few weeks back was a bit more, I don't know, out of the box in thinking than this piece.

Stem Collector is right because I too found a bit of unclarity in the low end. You seemed to have two bass parts that were fighting for space there.

I very much liked the drums. The transitions were nice and well thought out. I'm nit usually one for vocal edits but I didn't mind them at all in this piece.
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

There I unfixed it and can actually listen to it again. Not sure what I was doing last night when I made the changes. Thanks for feedback - I took a bit of bass out of the kick and adjusted the low shelf on the vox stuff.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Bridges
Analog Lurker
Bridges is currently spamming hard
Calgary

As was said, there is a bit of a power struggle in the bottom end.

I like the lack of structure.

This song is nice and wide but the mix didn't move much. I would like to hear placements change up through the song to keep me on my toes.

------------------
Bridges is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges View Post

This song is nice and wide but the mix didn't move much. I would like to hear placements change up through the song to keep me on my toes.
That's actually a really good point. I spent lots of time focused on panning and stereo field, but not on motion in the depth of the track. I bet it would have added a nice feel. I will think more about depth in future projects. I think this one is finally put to bed.

Thanks everyone for your listens and feedback. The sneak peaks of the 039 compilation are great - glad everyone is making such awesome stuff.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

For snare you need to have room in the mix 250-400hz and I do not think there is much room there. If you want another snare to come through better you gotta sculpt out some space for it in that area. Its where the lwoer body of the snare is.

Interesting yes. I'd like some more melody in there. You are good with melodies so why not?
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

That slidey, wobbly thing at the start

This is a really strong track hun, just goes to show how good the music that got on IDMF039 is
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
keiss
IDMf Supporter
keiss is a jewel in the roughkeiss is a jewel in the roughkeiss is a jewel in the rough
Arkhangelsk
MC Status: 260

Without a doubt I will be back yet time to listen to this track. Damn, I was struck by how clean and deep sound with your work. You have a very interesting style.

------------------
keiss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
phylazen
Sample Destroyer
phylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant futurephylazen has a brilliant future
Virginia
MC Status: 1960

this didn't get accepted? sucks. this is of the same quality as most of the music from idmf releases. it's not my type of style, i think this stuff gets boring after a while but that goes for anyone else in the genre. (no offense m8)

great production though, the song is very professional. you'll make it on there at some point dude. perfect fit.

------------------

Looking for an act to perform at your 6 year olds birthday party? hmu $69/hour

lovin lifebroletsgo[COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]to[/COLOR]pizza hut
phylazen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: free bird - lynyrd skynyrd
Old 12-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
Order in Chaos
Minor Glitch
Order in Chaos is currently spamming hard
Louisiana

This is a great track OatBag!!

I have not heard it in all it's stages, but the version I just listened to was awesome. I was especially impressed with the drums. They are quite intricate and present throughout the track, but they do not ever feel monotonous to me.

Again, great work!

Cheers,
Daniel
Order in Chaos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

wtf? for an experimental/intelligent music forum, everyone has massive opinions on "styles" and their "cup-o-teas" i frowny face at you all!

oatbag this is good, love noise, beds, expansive wastelands of sonic couture. dopers when i get back from school im going to follow yew. i want to remix this/also do you have your "crazy" version around? i want to hear that. i like the harken dnb groove for a few moments here and there.

Advertisements

SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote