TripHop, Chillout, Downtempo Tutorials?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
MisterChuckT
Learning The Ropes
MisterChuckT is currently spamming hard
Central Kentucky
MC Status: 10
TripHop, Chillout, Downtempo Tutorials?

Anyone know of any good TripHop, Chillout and/or Downtempo tutorials? Not so much sound design but more about the style, production and arrangement of whole compositions. Something similiar to what's offered at Sonic Academy but in the chill category...

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Advertisements

MisterChuckT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
Ghrenn
Regular Freak
Ghrenn is currently spamming hard
Bristol
Re: TripHop, Chillout, Downtempo Tutorials?

Unfortunately I can't offer you any tutorials, but I can recommend changing the way you listen to music?

What I do is listen to my favourite artists and really try and get inside their music. I'll focus on every little sound and deconstruct it in my mind, think about what's causing it, what effect it's having on the arrangement, emotion and piece as a whole, etc etc.

I know it may sound a touch obvious but when you take apart things this way, it can make it a lot easier when you want to apply a similar feel to your own stuff.

If you have any more specific questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll try my best to answer!
Ghrenn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
MisterChuckT
Learning The Ropes
MisterChuckT is currently spamming hard
Central Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghrenn View Post
Unfortunately I can't offer you any tutorials, but I can recommend changing the way you listen to music?

What I do is listen to my favourite artists and really try and get inside their music. I'll focus on every little sound and deconstruct it in my mind, think about what's causing it, what effect it's having on the arrangement, emotion and piece as a whole, etc etc.

I know it may sound a touch obvious but when you take apart things this way, it can make it a lot easier when you want to apply a similar feel to your own stuff.

If you have any more specific questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll try my best to answer!

Thanks Ghrenn...i'm usually pretty good at coming up with ideas...it's structuring those ideas into a finished piece that I have issues with.

Thanks,
Chuck
MisterChuckT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Ghrenn
Regular Freak
Ghrenn is currently spamming hard
Bristol

I see, I guess you have to think about what kind of sound you're after? song structures can be useful to learn a little bit about.

You always have to think about your intended listeners and how you want your music to move. If you want it to be totally poppy and accessible then you're going to need a 'chorus'/hook within the first minute. I know that's not for everyone but it's definitely something to bear in mind, you don't want to write boring music. I would strive to never have a section play exactly the same twice in a song.

If you're more concerned about expanding ideas into a whole song, a very real problem we all face at times, (you should see how many sessions I have that are just a few lines of midi or a 'verse'.) then it's a bit of a different issue. One piece of advice I can give is just to slave through and try different combinations and break the wall, when you do you'll find it's very rewarding.

Advertisements

Ghrenn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote