New sound card
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 30-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848
New sound card

I am possibly going to purchase a M-audio delta 1010lt audio interface, but am not completely sure yet.

It is a used one a found and it seems like a good price.

I have a few questions.

I currently use a creative x-fi card. When i record there is a noticable "hiss". Will recording with a proper audio interface alleviate this problem?

Secondly. Can I have all my input come from the m-audio card, and the output from ableton go to my x-fi card?

Also, will having my midi keyboard connected though the m-audio interface through midi connection reduce input latency as opposed to using just USB?

Advertisements

Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390198
Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: New sound card

Since you don't explain where the hiss is coming from I can't answer. (do you use preamp/mixer? unbalanced cables? ground hiss/noise/hum?)

You probably just need on dedicated audio interface. Sell the x-fi if you buy the 1010lt.

Having the 1010LT will most likely reduce latency, both usb and midi. What is your latency now?
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848

This hiss comes from the recording. I don't know exactly where it comes from, but I was told that regular sound cards don't have shielding from interferece.

I don't want to sell the x-fi since I also watch movies and game on this PC and use the positional audio.

My latency is not TOO bad right now, I can play my midi keyboard in realtime and it feels just a little off. Was just wondering if in USB generally has higher latency than a midi input.
Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390198
Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,766 Posts

Recording? Does the signal contain hiss or does the x-fi generate hiss when recording? 1010LT will record what you feed it, hiss or hiss free signal.

I think 1010lt got down to 6ms in latency. Maybe other 1010lt owners can chime in on that.
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837898

Record at higher input levels, and at 24 bit. creative xfi is supposed to have 109db of snr, so it's probably not the card that's causing it. If you are recording at proper levels, then the noise is likely coming from the external equipment. As far as latency, look up the asio driver for your sound card.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694

PCI-e cards aren't recommended for recording microphones as the preamps get hosted near the computer's components which can and likely add noise to the low-level mic signal. It might be just that causing the hiss.

"Professional" PCI-e audio interfaces with preamps usually come with a separate breakout box so you'll get some distance, but you could look at FireWire and USB 2.0 interfaces too.

Last edited by Blank^; 31-08-2011 at 01:02 AM..

Advertisements

Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote