Can you identify a track?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 16-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Lux_In_Tenebris
Learning The Ropes
Lux_In_Tenebris will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Can you identify a track?

So I am more of a film sound designer than a music one but I have played with music as well. This is more of a practical question - I have recently recorded a number of project specific metallic sounds for a film I am making at University and one of my collegues also needed metallic sounds for his project so I lent him a few of mine AS A GUIDE (so purely so he could listen to them and decide how he might record his own) However, I believe he may have stolen a couple of the sounds to use in his project without my permission. I KNOW this is my fault and perhaps I should never have lent him the sounds but I was trying to be helpful.

So what I want to know is whether there is any way to tell if the sound is mine. I recorded it with household appliances so it is possible he did too but it sounds incredibly similar and I was wondering if there was some way of identifying whether the sound used is mine?

Thanks

Advertisements

Lux_In_Tenebris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072
Re: Can you identify a track?

Question him about what mics he used to record the sounds....if he is vauge in his answers then he is more than likey after stroking them from you. Let that be a lesson to never share your work with people you dont fully trust

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Lux_In_Tenebris
Learning The Ropes

Yeah - I got that impression as soon as I heard the sound in his film. I tend to be a trusting person and I have known him for a couple of years and had no reason not to trust him but I'm thinking he has used that misplaced trust against me. I will try the tactic you suggested but he is a sound designer like me so he knows his mics and I am sure he will be able to bs an answer. Thanks for the advice though - is that the only way really?
Old 16-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

well man tbh is it really risking a friendship over? I know its not nice to be f**ked over like that if he did stroke your sounds but unless you can 100% prove it..i'd let it slide and just dont share anything else with him in future. Put it down to experience and move on I'd say

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Lux_In_Tenebris
Learning The Ropes

I think I will leave it - I'm not sure I ever would have pursued it more than to chide him for dishonesty. But without any real proof I will leave it be.

Thank you for your help anyway
Thanks to Lux_In_Tenebris
Barry Acid (17-10-2012)
Old 17-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Benwaa

well being he's a friend supposedly and you gave him the samples, ok to listen to rather than use, why are you really pissed off for?
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38947

You could ask for the foleys he did for the same sounding sounds. If he can't provide you with one and comes up with excuses... You'll know.
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Lux_In_Tenebris
Learning The Ropes

In answer to why I'm pissed off - I'm not properly pissed off, just a little disgruntled.

The problem is that we are University students and are working on Grad films so not only will he be getting graded on a sound I recorded (i.e. he's getting credit for something that isn't his work, if it isn't), but there is also a chance that his film will be sent to festivals and win prizes/money (if it is good enough) so he may benefit financially or get a job off the back of my own work.

Which would be naff - but my fault really so meh...

Advertisements