petition for people to start using the term "sidechain" correctly - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

View Poll Results: What should we do with Parricide?
Take him to a forest, sidechain him to a tree, cover him in honey and leave. 9 75.00%
Chop off all his limbs using a sidechainsaw. 2 16.67%
Wire him to this forum and every time someone posts he gets a very strong electroshock to his nuts. 5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #21
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18050669
Thanked 1,013 Times in 764 Posts
Re: petition for people to start using the term "sidechain" correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
According to the "SD Series Software Manual" (chapter 1 page 19), the dynamic EQ reacts when the "set threshold has been reached".

The threshold control is simply set in dB, which must mean that the dynamic EQ reacts to the full spectrum of the incoming signal.

In defence of the instructor, I probably wouldn't refer to this kind of threshold trigger functionality as "side-chain" either, - since the device doesn't include any side-chain settings or routing options (as opposed to the side-chain filter settings for the gate, de-esser and compressor).

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
i havent looked at the manual yet, but even the manual doesnt answer the question by what you said, that could still be the whole spectrum or a smaller band.

i am not blaming the instructor either, he is a customer relations guy who knows the console very well and he taught me a lot. the day was well structured and fulfilled its purpose, its just one of the many examples of the confusion.
the fact that there is no control over the sidechain signal does not mean it is not a sidechain signal, and it is still important to know what frequencies are triggering the EQ.

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #22
localspace
Microknight
localspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1310

I heard that the new Assassin Creed has a lot of sidechains.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #23
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by localspace View Post
more like sidechains have a lot of assassins creed

------------------
signature loading...
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #24
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown
MC Status: 18960

Quote:
Originally Posted by localspace View Post
I think you mean satchels, not sidechains. Gotta carry all dat loot.

Sidechaining is probably one of the most fun features. Especially when making whit like glitch or weird soundscapes.

------------------
Mizuchi is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #25
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuchi View Post
I think you mean satchels, not sidechains. Gotta carry all dat loot.

Sidechaining is probably one of the most fun features. Especially when making whit like glitch or weird soundscapes.

my petition is not going too well

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
Mizuchi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #26
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 35860

TBH I feel your pain Parricide as I use the control functions in fruity loops to generate all sorts of "control voltage" from all sorts of audio. But I don't want to end up sidechained to that tree with you

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #27
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
But I don't want to end up sidechained to that tree with you
cumon, itll be fun to reconnect with nature!

------------------
signature loading...
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #28
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 133060
Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,543 Posts

is there any difference between sidechain and sidechin? always found these two confusing.

------------------

ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Parricide (Today)
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #29
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45976898
Thanked 1,421 Times in 1,071 Posts

didn't think of sidechianing using an eq instead of a compressor, thanks dude, just goes to show that without thought most would just blindly follow, i sidechain shit because deadmau5 and a bunch of tech house producers do it to make dat kick drum audible but mostly used a compressor, now that someone said hey use an eq it will probably help my mixes a lot more, tbh i thought the pettition was tedious but i was wrong and it just shows that there are more possibilities. honestly the take away from your post was "oly hsit i can use an eq to sidehchain my sidechain to another sidechain" combine that with splitting frequency bands and automation/envelope controllers your post just opens the door for much sound design fuckery you have no idea

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Br/ainfu+ked
Parricide (Today)
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #30
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
didn't think of sidechianing using an eq instead of a compressor, thanks dude, just goes to show that without thought most would just blindly follow, i sidechain shit because deadmau5 and a bunch of tech house producers do it to make dat kick drum audible but mostly used a compressor, now that someone said hey use an eq it will probably help my mixes a lot more, tbh i thought the pettition was tedious but i was wrong and it just shows that there are more possibilities. honestly the take away from your post was "oly hsit i can use an eq to sidehchain my sidechain to another sidechain" combine that with splitting frequency bands and automation/envelope controllers your post just opens the door for much sound design fuckery you have no idea
a sidechain signal can be used to control almost anything (almost because im sure there is an exception that i havent thought of). you dont have to use the dynamic content of the SC signal either.
finding pre-made effects that utilize a SC signal in weird ways is hard though, but if youre into modular systems its easy to set up. there are already lots of dynamic EQs out there though so you should definitely try some out. my favourite atm is MDynamicEQ, but that could just be because i love melda.

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
Br/ainfu+ked (Today)