Softube Weiss DS1-MK3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 70110
Thanked 1,402 Times in 1,021 Posts
Softube Weiss DS1-MK3

Has anyone played around with this plugin for mastering? Is it overhyped or really as cool as claimed? Most of my SofTube plugins are top notch, but this one comes with a pretty hefty sticker.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 19560
Re: Softube Weiss DS1-MK3

Well it's a bargain if you compare it to the hardware model right? Never used it though, can't help you there

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
localspace
Microknight
localspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud oflocalspace has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1310

I messed with the demo some, kinda like 'haha let me see this ridiculousness'.. but I came away really impressed. It sounds a bit different than other limiters I've heard, something very solid and pleasing about it. And loud, of course. The simplified, cheaper version they have has 'that sound' as well though.

My take was that I simply can't justify the expense, but it's probably worth the asking price. I'd take this over Ozone any day and it's not like that is so much cheaper.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 185610
Thanked 3,712 Times in 2,201 Posts

If you have the cash you should consider a fully hardware mastering chain.

And then, have fun running EVERYTHING through it. You music, other people's music, the sound from a movie you're watching... everything. If a record you're listening could use more bass or sparklier highs, go correct that for your listening pleasure... If you're listening to a podcast with five different people using different mics and streaming at different levels, go squash and tame that shit and make it listenable... If you're listening to a war movie at 2 am with super quiet bits and super loud bomb sounds, go even that crap out so you don't wake the gf when bombs go off yet you can hear bits of whispered dialog.

My point is: invest in good processors, practice, get good and fast and confident. Become a fucking pro.

"The processor that no serious mastering engineer can do without" <<< FUCKING LOL. Shit like that cracks me up.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
jbvdb493 (14-10-2018)
Old 14-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

If I bought that plugin and had good reasons to buy it, I would probably run it on a second computer at maximum sampling rate, with a midi controller that is exclusively dedicated to it. Get so used to it you don't even have to look at the interface anymore.

One thing about mastering is that you want to get quick at doing it. You want results before ear fatigue kicks in. That is so so fucking absolutely key IMO.
Thanks to thom
liquid_air (14-10-2018)
Old 14-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Becoming a pro sounds a bit aspirational for me personally. But you know me, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, I don’t need a good reason. For me any reason will do.

------------------

Old 14-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Remember one thing... if you sent an average mix to ten top-paid mastering engineers, you'd get ten different-sounding files back.

You have to know what you're doing but ultimately it's about knowing what result you want to hear and being familiar, agile with the tools that get you there.

I just fucking loath their marketing BS... ''You're not serious about mastering until you get this shit.''

The truth is so much more simple and complicated all at the same time....
Thanks to thom
jbvdb493 (14-10-2018)
Old 14-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35510

Look into ozone imo.
That shit is fast and convenient as f***!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Already got that...
but as your heard from Thom, you really can’t do without this plugin ;-)

Advertisements

------------------