HELP!! How to make this sound
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
HELP!! How to make this sound

Hey guys if anyone could help me find / create this sound. It appears on may techno tracks

The sound I am interested in, is the percussive bass stab that first appears at 1.17 in this track and goes on through out:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Any help would be great and much appreciated

Thanks

Advertisements

------------------
theycallmegav is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
chrisHA
Minor Glitch
chrisHA is just really nicechrisHA is just really nicechrisHA is just really nicechrisHA is just really nicechrisHA is just really nice
UK West Mids
MC Status: 410
Re: HELP!! How to make this sound

you can create something very similar on most synths. Try sine wave, short attack, shortish decay and short release, tweek cut off freq and add delay and some verb. If i get time i will try and make it / or i might have a similar sound as a preset somewhere.
chrisHA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584030
Thanked 7,862 Times in 5,530 Posts

W/o even listening to the example, I’d bet you can follow chrisHA’s formula and try a square wave too. Also, I’m a 1000% not trying to be a dick when I say this, but...

...honestly sit and critically listen to that patch. It’s pretty simple. I’m far from a sound design genius and am not always good at listening and recreating sounds, but this is a super simple one. I spent a long time running to ask a forum or spending a lot of time digging for tutorials on how to make basic, bread and butter sounds in different genres instead of listening critically. I learned a lot more, a lot faster getting a little frustrated doing it on my own than always instantly turning to google. Really don’t mean to offend, just some advice.

...and having listened I’d say chrisHA’s got it, try a square for a little more flavor.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Parricide (14-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:58 AM   #4
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisHA View Post
you can create something very similar on most synths. Try sine wave, short attack, shortish decay and short release, tweek cut off freq and add delay and some verb. If i get time i will try and make it / or i might have a similar sound as a preset somewhere.
If you do manage to get the time that would be great, I did already try those suggestions.

Thanks in advance

------------------
theycallmegav is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18050669
Thanked 1,013 Times in 764 Posts

sounds to me like the important factors are a LP filter with high res with the cutoff modulated with an envelope with a quick attack (but not 0ms) and quick decay with the sustain at pretty much 0dB. there is also a juicy wet reverb on it that adds a lot.

the oscillators sound somewhere near a pulse shape to me, so that would be a good place to start.

edit:

forgot to mention the envelope controlling the pitch too. it has 0 attack and quick decay and pitches the oscillators up quite a lot, as you would do with many percussive sounds.

Last edited by Parricide; 14-10-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote