[Downtempo] Aukopi - The Breaks
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 14-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #1
Smile_Price
Knob Twiddler
Smile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010
[Downtempo] Aukopi - The Breaks

Kinda like this one. Welcome feedback. There is actually one specific thing I'm stuck on. The bass sounds really clean and heavy in FL Studio, but when I export it to WAV the bass has this constant low rumble you can hear here. Really not sure what's happening there. It's kinda messing up the whole mix.

Last edited by Smile_Price; 21-09-2018 at 04:14 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Smile_Price is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Downtempo] Aukopi - The Breaks.
Old 14-09-2018, 05:03 AM   #2
BentAtoms
Granular Poster
BentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant future
Vancouver, BC
MC Status: 1510
Re: [Downtempo] Aukopi - The Breaks

This is nice! I've missed breaks. It kind of reminds me of some of ASC's drum and bass. I love the stuff you do with the vocal, and the bridge and outro are just awesome. Those synthwave/electro house kinda sounds into the bells definitely hit my nostalgia sensibilities.

I hear what you mean about the bass problem. I think maybe your sub is an octave too low? If you listen across the 1:00 minute mark where the bass steps up, it cleans up during that step-up, then comes back. Either way, it definitely sounds like the fundamental is down below 30hz - I can hear it as beat rather than a tone.

As a quick fix, you could maybe throw a highpass on it at 30hz and see if that helps? I've usually found it I get the best bang for my buck by just putting it up an octave, but it might be worth a shot.

Also, I'm not sure, but it might be worth putting a long decay on the sound and pulling the sustain down a bit further than it's at. It sounds like the sound is just drawn out. The notes would have more impact if you let it recede a little.

Thanks for the listen!
BentAtoms is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
Vault O)))
Mushroom dick
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 67610
Thanked 1,352 Times in 882 Posts

Your mixes are getting way cleaner and more dynamic, IMO. The bridge sounds like a huge diversion from the track itself, but maybe that's due to the super loud / dry arp that comes in and takes over. I think the kick could definitely use more boom, especially with that loud / subby bass. Maybe SC the bass to the kick or something to let both shine while still being nice and meaty.

I don't normally critique on downtempo stuff but I actually liked this a lot. Well done
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
palmspalms
Analog Lurker
palmspalms is a splendid one to beholdpalmspalms is a splendid one to beholdpalmspalms is a splendid one to beholdpalmspalms is a splendid one to beholdpalmspalms is a splendid one to beholdpalmspalms is a splendid one to behold
Lodz
MC Status: 660

Oh man, this sounds really chill! Cool percussion - I love the feel of it, reminds me of old times perc. I love that little break at 1:44 and the part that starts at 2:52. Great listening on the whole.

Yup, I also hear the bass problem. As an addition to what's already been said - maybe the trick lies in the export settings? Is it dithered? 16 bit? 44 100 sample rate? Sorry, this may be basic stuff, but it can mess up the exported track a bit.

------------------
palmspalms is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
Smile_Price
Knob Twiddler
Smile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud ofSmile_Price has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

So I was playing with the sustain and decay on the bass and not only did that fix the rumble, I found that a long attack on the bass sounds really cool. So there is some of that in here now too. Thanks so much everyone. I changed the link to the new version.

Last edited by Smile_Price; 21-09-2018 at 04:22 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Smile_Price is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote