What is Rock and Roll these days?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:42 AM   #1
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 35860
What is Rock and Roll these days?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...&v=W1LaQ68tkDg

So I had logged off, checked my email, and then logged off that when I saw an interview with Slash pop up on Yahoo. I was intrigued (and it actually had some good questions and the start of good answers that just weren't pursued enough imo) and it was plugging this song. I played it out of continued curiosity and I'm just blown away by how hard those drums duck everything that isn't the vocal. I had to go back and listen again to pay attention to the texture of the guitars and such to see how it wasn't like EDM (a much more up front, clear vocal, definitely rock styled guitar textures, not the 4/4 rhythm).

But that initial impression was just not one of rock at all. I guess I'm wondering as someone who thinks of Dio/Megadeth as about as hard as any remotely mainstream variant of rock is gonna get: is this how modern rock is produced? I still think of the occasional grunge track and mid 2000s emo punk, but mostly GNR, Aerosmith, The Beatles, The Doors, The Band, etc when I think of rock. Am I completely out of touch with the rock scene? Please help me get up to speed if I am, because I thought Alternative was basically rock now.

Advertisements

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
Iyashi Sound (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #2
Vault O)))
Mushroom dick
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 67660
Thanked 1,353 Times in 882 Posts
Re: What is Rock and Roll these days?

Rock was always supposed to be pop's weird cousin. RJD and Megadeth are technically metal (the latter more so), so that might be the dilemma there. Modern rock trying to be extra palatable is more or less pop, so this is all normal to me.

Grunge was closer to metal than most people think, too, because it was actually heavy.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
Iyashi Sound
Master of the LFO
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
Svaneke
MC Status: 20410

These guys are trying to win the loudness war: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

The mix sounds like it's already been through the kind of heavy compression used by commercial radio-stations, where everything is pressed to the same RMS all the time.

I believe the argument is, that if you hyper-compress your mix in the studio, then later - when it's run through a radio station's compressors - it won't get compressed as much (since it's already super loud), - and as a result it'll sound "better than the competition".

It's all a bit silly in my opinion, but there still seems to be a lot of mainstream radio stations who apparently want to sound like this.

I don't think there's a single "rock scene" any more.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 11-09-2018 at 07:34 AM..
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45976898
Thanked 1,421 Times in 1,071 Posts

rock split into or got rebranded and became known as alternative and other genres, which have incorporated digital aspects
the only most recent rock bands closest to original rock i can think of are the foo fighters, the black keys, and whatever jack white is doing these days

also the mars volta

also melt banana

and being that rock was an offshoot of blues heres this because well come on this should remind you of the good ol'days when blues was still popular and not the cookie cutter pop punk songs about first world problems

Last edited by Br/ainfu+ked; 11-09-2018 at 09:25 AM..

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Br/ainfu+ked
Vault O))) (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584030
Thanked 7,862 Times in 5,530 Posts

If you dig into some alt country/modern outlaw country what a lot of those bands do is feels a lot like traditional rock. Drive-By Truckers might be a pretty well known example. Another good specific example is Whitey Morgan and the 78's album "Sonic Ranch" while there are some very clearly country songs (the slower stuff), much of it is, imo, rock infused with country lyrics and some twang.

Last edited by relic; 11-09-2018 at 06:18 PM..

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 133060
Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,543 Posts

Behind some mainstream over-produced rock there are shit loads of bands that do it right and continue its legacy. Old rocker dudes from expired bands that once were big aren't definition of current stage of a genre. It's always ignorant to think that some genre is dead or completely sucks in a current year too. If you see this guy Slash making such shit music it means he’s just cashing out and just lives his life as intended. Then we have these same dudes pointing out that older music is 10x better, just because they got stuck with those older bands that once did something impressive at that time but anything later is completely ignored, I guess it's just that nostalgia that kicks in and you can get blinded by it. If you form your opinion on some genre from some radio, most trending bands/music videos that's even worse, just don't. Genres just happen to cross-over, artists can do whatever to stay relevant what once was a rock band can go full pop but it doesn’t affect the actual genre that much. Don’t forget you have an entire internet in your pocket, even with shit like Spotify you can find new music easily and you will be suprised how much stuff you never knew exists and just asks to be heard.

------------------

ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105322839
Thanked 1,094 Times in 849 Posts

Pompadours, uppers, modrods, and 55 stratas. After all, Rock n Roll is coming with us or goin with them, cuz ya gattah choose!

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i prefer the sage. makes me truly believe the unbelievable.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:25 AM   #8
Mark Ames
Microknight
Mark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud of
Ventura County California
MC Status: 1060

I know it when I hear it... because it ROCKS!!! The rock attitude is flexible about adopting individual styles, and even crosses over now and then (Country sounds very Rock These days) as long as the energy is high, the bass and percussion are holding the beat and the bottom... some distortion helps... did I say attitude?

------------------
I didnít know I was a ...
Instagram.com/1roomstudio
mark.ames.bandcamp.com

Reality is one thing...but perception is everything.
Mark Ames is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
Vault O)))
Mushroom dick
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 67660
Thanked 1,353 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
rock split into or got rebranded and became known as alternative and other genres, which have incorporated digital aspects
the only most recent rock bands closest to original rock i can think of are the foo fighters, the black keys, and whatever jack white is doing these days

also the mars volta

also melt banana

and being that rock was an offshoot of blues heres this because well come on this should remind you of the good ol'days when blues was still popular and not the cookie cutter pop punk songs about first world problems

Damn, the only thing you forgot was Hella when they were a full band
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Br/ainfu+ked (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45976898
Thanked 1,421 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Damn, the only thing you forgot was Hella when they were a full band

^this, tbh never knew they existed

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #11
Iyashi Sound
Master of the LFO
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
Svaneke
MC Status: 20410

I've been a fan of the American label "Grimoire Records" for a while - and thought I'd go ahead and recommend them.

All except a few of their records are produced by one Noel Mueller, and he obviously knows what he's doing. Having the same guy produce some very different bands (and doing it well) makes the label seem more coherent than a lot of other labels releasing stuff in the same vein.

The label admittedly leans towards harder genres than just "straight up rock", but their catalogue definitely has some stuff that rocks:

https://grimoirerecords.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 12-09-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Advertisements

Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote