Sound isolation material
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
tokian
Analog Lurker
tokian will become famous soon enoughtokian will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Sound isolation material

so i made 2 homemade wooden cubes and i placed on my studio monitors (on the desk) . Everything is great except from the low frequencies. I think that the problem exists because the cubes are empty i get something like a small reverb from inside the boxes.
Fortunately i am able to fill them with something to make it more solid ( i didn't close them) SO my question is... what is the best thing-material to put in the wooden cubes so i can hear the sound at its best? maybe a pillow ? tell me what you think thanks.

note that the desk's surface is a glass.( just saying i don't know if it plays any role )

Advertisements

tokian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390248
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Soundproof Material

Sand. Fill them. Then put foam between the table|box and speaker|box.

So, you made a resonating cajon/Helmholtz resonator for the speakers. Foam and books would suffice.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

+1 for sand.

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
claaser
Soundscaper
claaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MC
MC Status: 8385220

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokian View Post
so i made 2 homemade wooden cubes and i placed on my studio monitors (on the desk) . Everything is great except from the low frequencies. I think that the problem exists because the cubes are empty i get something like a small reverb from inside the boxes.
Fortunately i am able to fill them with something to make it more solid ( i didn't close them) SO my question is... what is the best thing-material to put in the wooden cubes so i can hear the sound at its best? maybe a pillow ? tell me what you think thanks.

note that the desk's surface is a glass.( just saying i don't know if it plays any role )
Are the boxes standing on the desk? If yes put a towel under the box, glass is bad material in the studio as it is very reflective.

Best filler for your boxes is indeed sand but that can be messy and too heavy for your desk. Try a bunch of (free second hand) books.

Pillow wont do anything. Good rule of thumb for sound absorbing materials is the heavier the better without a solid surface that would reflect sound.

------------------
Glitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks.
claaser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
tokian
Analog Lurker
tokian will become famous soon enoughtokian will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

i have:

the boxes which are filled with plastic bags which are filled with sand.

a yellow layer (1,5-2cm) of foam under the speakers.

thats the best set up so far.

i was about to put a towel too but it will take the whole thing really high. i also got someone to hold the speakers in the air and i can still feel to vibration of the bass on the desk so i think this is something inevitable. thanks everyone

Last edited by tokian; 12-10-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Advertisements

tokian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote