u-he Bazille finally out. Who's got it?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852660
u-he Bazille finally out. Who's got it?

So uHe has finally released his monster virtual modular Bazille. This is the first soft synth in an eon Ive genuinely been interested in (I loved ACE).

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

So my questions are who has it? How good does it sound? How much of a CPU hog is it?

Advertisements

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217960
Thanked 4,359 Times in 3,236 Posts
Re: uHe Bazille finally out. Whos got it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikighost View Post
So uHe has finally released his monster virtual modular Bazille. This is the first soft synth in an eon Ive genuinely been interested in (I loved ACE).

So my questions are who has it? How good does it sound? How much of a CPU hog is it?
Don't have it yet, but there's a few vids up on YT..one linked below of it being put through it's paces..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
slofy
Minor Glitch
slofy is a jewel in the roughslofy is a jewel in the roughslofy is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Got it for $89, but I've had the beta for quite some time. This synth makes unique sounds for sure! KVR has a nice user patch collection already too so don't be discouraged if you are new to modular.

Sounds good to me (I'm not biased I love analog and digial and VA)
It can match zebra's CPU economy but usually drains all the resources like DIVA
slofy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 AM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7239129

The open beta was available for a long while. I can confirm that this thing is amazing. CPU-hungry, but amazing. It is very easy to dial in organic-sounding tones, but you can also descend all the way to screeching sonic mayhem if that's your thing.

I mean, you can use the sequencer as a sound source. How cool is that?

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31560

Probably going to get it - seems to have snuck it's way into a couple of the tracks I'm working on.
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42417499
Thanked 5,670 Times in 3,687 Posts
Re: u-he Bazille finally out. Who's got it?

It is very good but a bit flaky. I bought it yesterday. I only spent a small amount of time with it in beta but I was impressed with how powerful it is.

Upon installing yesterday Bazille was crashing Sonar X3 constantly until I figured out a work-around. Spent most of last night figuring it out.

I'm running Sonar X3 on an i7 quadcore with 24GB RAM, oodles of terabytes of storage. OS is Win 7 64bit.
X3 is configured to use multiple CPUs.

When I browsed through the patches, after loading a few different sounds, Bazille would freeze briefly. After that, it would appear to return to normal except the VST would no longer play sound. X3 showed midi input occuring normally but no sound output from Bazille. Also, Bazille's oscilliscope was frozen. Checking other VSTs, they also registered midi input but no sound output. Same for hardware synth, midi input to X3 registered but no sound.

So, basically Bazille killed the sound engine completely.

Exiting and restarting X3 did not fix the issue. It took full PC reboots to get sound working again.

The workaround: In Bazille, to the left of the oscilliscope is the 'cores' button. Switch this to "Multicore".

No further crashes.

I don't know if others have previously encountered this and worked it out but I updated U-He on the issue and the workaround anyway

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
A.M (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC

I think that's a result of your computer trying to run the program on multiple cores when the program thinks it's being run on a single core. In essence, the plugin does not send data about how to organize the processing on the multiple cores unless you explicitly ask for it. I'm fairly certain that if you told X3 to not use multiple CPUs this problem would not persist.

Still a bother though, and I hope it get fixed.

------------------
Old 01-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Roo Stercogburn
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback

Heh, in what alternative universe would I want my DAW not to use all the cores available?

One other thing, for first time buyers from U-He: If you use the PayPal button, you go through a third party service called Share-It. These guys are muppets, watch out for this. When you purchase, you need to register with them. They send you a confirmation email WITH YOUR UNMASKED PASSWORD IN CLEAR TEXT.

Palm. Face. Concussion.

If using Share-It, I'd advise using a temporary password to set up the account that is completely different from any other password you use on other online services, then log in to the Share-It website and manually change the password afterwards. Again, I've informed U-He (who have no control over this part of the process) and sent a strongly worded complaint to Share It. By strongly worded I mean something that included the phrase "What the fucking fuck?"

All Share-It do is send you an email telling you how to reset your password. They need to change their process because the message I'm getting is they are lax on security.

------------------
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent

Here's a little something of me slamming my fingers on my MIDI keyboard with some Bazille sounds I've made. No external effects, all sounds from Bazille etc. Starts with some bells, then some silly drum sounds that loop for too long to make you bored. Then some more melodic stuff on top of drums and alone.

------------------
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
Roo Stercogburn
On horseback

Got a project with 4 instances of Bazille in it. It is utterly killing my CPU.

I've never had a VST that hammers the CPU so much. I'm already having to freeze tracks just to stop it destroying the sound engine.

That said, it sounds great.

------------------
Old 04-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
lakeknight
Minor Glitch
lakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Ugh.. Sad to hear that it's still so CPU hungry. I liked the beta. Crazy u-he fan, I use ACE in pretty much everything I do.
lakeknight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #12
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,549 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Don't have it yet, but there's a few vids up on YT..one linked below of it being put through it's paces..

Damn that's spicy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeknight View Post
Ugh.. Sad to hear that it's still so CPU hungry. I liked the beta. Crazy u-he fan, I use ACE in pretty much everything I do.
What I've heard so far has made me so much happier than less CPUs hungry soft synths.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:49 AM   #13
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,549 Times in 2,148 Posts

And that "spring" reverb is lovely.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
cirric
Deep Underground
cirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MC
SF
MC Status: 7104577

u-He makes very nice softsynths. And I believe it's just a few guys in Germany. I find myself messing with Diva more and more lately, a very "toney", but CPU intensive virtual analog.

------------------
bandcamp | soundcloud | tumblr | twitter

Like my facebook page for a free album code.
cirric is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #15
Roo Stercogburn
On horseback

Upgraded to Win 8.1 at the weekend.

If I run it against a single CPU, Bazille still tries to crash the sound engine but now fails. I hear glitching and distortion but it doesn't actually break it. As soon as I set it to multicore, once again all the problems go away.

Still not had time to properly get into it but it is a lovely sounding synth.

------------------
Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1436509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post

One other thing, for first time buyers from U-He: If you use the PayPal button, you go through a third party service called Share-It. These guys are muppets, watch out for this. When you purchase, you need to register with them.

Not true, you can bypass the account registration and simply make a one-time purchase. I've bought a ton of U-He products and never started an account with Share-It.

------------------
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
lakeknight
Minor Glitch
lakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nicelakeknight is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
What I've heard so far has made me so much happier than less CPUs hungry soft synths.
I can imagine, it's just that chainsawing the cpu kinda kills my creativity.. I feel like there's a handicap that I can't fully do shit I want so I don't even bother... narrowminded crap i know.
lakeknight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Roo Stercogburn
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholloway View Post
Not true, you can bypass the account registration and simply make a one-time purchase. I've bought a ton of U-He products and never started an account with Share-It.
Share-It is the process I was pushed through for Bazille.

Advertisements

------------------