Are you guys "sloppy" when producing? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 30-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #81
SquareTheCircle
Microknight
SquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Re: Are you guys "sloppy" when producing?

I used to be haphazard but have since learned the virtues of organisation. Naming tracks is important because it is easier to find them later when searching for a side chain input or for quickly pulling tracks out of other projects. I will rack things up if I can. Save presets and the like.

Then the mix down is easier later. If you want to make music professionally then you follow some sort of workflow.

Time is money.

Advertisements

SquareTheCircle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #82
Ricardocarmine
IDMf's latest spammer
Ricardocarmine is currently spamming hard
Ramalde, Porto
MC Status: 10

All the time, but I just leave the track on repeat until I find the parts that need work. If after awhile nothing comes up, I just shut down and try to comeback another time/wok on a different track
Ricardocarmine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #83
DanielSonic
IDMf's latest spammer
DanielSonic will become famous soon enough
Duisburg
MC Status: 60

When my project tends to get sloppy, I force myself to give it some order. Usually takes just a few minutes and makes it more fun to continue working (a similar feeling to when you've just cleaned up your room). While I'm being creative, though, it gets messed up again, so I'm in a constant loop of mess up & clean up.
DanielSonic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #84
Bell's Worth
Minor Glitch
Bell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

All the samples & sounds I use in my projects I tend to organize in my sample library before using them, so the HD stays relatively clean. The projects themselves though...

God help us all :killme:
Bell's Worth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #85
facetiousfacts
IDMf's latest spammer
facetiousfacts will become famous soon enoughfacetiousfacts will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Yeah i typically go through each section of the song at a time and just perfect each section, erasing all other parts and then piecing it together.
facetiousfacts is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 AM   #86
twilitez
IDMf Artist
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Pretty much always yes.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #87
Zigg
Granular Poster
Zigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Really don't give a shit about organization. If everything is jumbled and I get confused, I'm smart enough to figure it the fuck out.
Zigg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #88
InDefianceOfGravity
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
InDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 19010

InDefianceOfGravity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to InDefianceOfGravity
Bluesh1ft (16-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #89
RAN
Minor Glitch
RAN is a jewel in the roughRAN is a jewel in the roughRAN is a jewel in the roughRAN is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

When I first started it was sloppy as f#ck.

Then I started working with templates, having everything color coded and have EQ's, compressors, side chains all ready to go in auxes and linked to tracks that might need it ect.

After a while this got limiting. So I did away with it, now everything's sloppy again. It's annoying only sometimes, when I'll totally change a synth only to find it's not the right synth.... ARGH!

But otherwise, it feels more open creatively. I just had to learn to trust my skills as a producer/mixer and just jam it out and tighten it all up at the end on the fly. Sometimes it's like your going by on the seat of your pants but that's half the exhilaration of it all

Also, it's beneficial to moments when you're not in your stu and collaborating with someone else.

You can always use an ordered setup, but if you're used to an ordered set up and have to jump in something sloppy, it might break down the collaboration.
RAN is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #90
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,549 Times in 2,148 Posts

Generally, when I'm done with my lady, she needs a shower... It's no different with my other creative processes.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
SpinVector (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #91
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA
MC Status: 12606224

Sloppy aka draft.

I produce sloppy when i'm just looking for a direction.

There are the some tracks that I make a point to keep everything sharp and clean tho.
This has the most end game effect when I'm working with percussion. When I pre-produce my drum sound design it has a profound effect on how I write my grooves.

If you haven't tried pre-EQing/saturating/generally beefing up your drums before writing beats/grooves I would suggest you give it a try.

------------------
Stereo Surgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #92
elhewman
Minor Glitch
elhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MCelhewman is a savage MC
MC Status: 1109980

For me I think the answer is to spend a few days away from production and just sit down and make several different types of templates to switch out occasionally. The templates keep me somewhat organized but can limit my creativity when I get to used to one.
elhewman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 12:59 AM   #93
Histronics
Radial Developer
Histronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond repute
Bradenton, Florida
MC Status: 4110

Not usually. I always place my drums in the same timeline spots, synths in another, and use my own naming conventions. Worth it in the long run. Especially fi you want to go back and open old projects.
Histronics is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #94
Dangerboy
Regular Freak
Dangerboy will become famous soon enough
Stockholm
MC Status: 60

My production is a mess until the very end
Dangerboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #95
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
PhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond repute
Sonoma /San Francisco
MC Status: 7460

I try to keep stuff organized but usually, my computer of the moment dies before I have a chance to "finally clean up and organize my samples". I have three dead machines with projects locked in their hard drives just in case I ever want to necro one of them.

I mean, I still have a 2000 dell lappy with XP and Rebirth stashed away, just in case.

(which reminds me, I think I loaded Deckadance and Ableton Lite on there in 2008...hmmm)

Advertisements

PhantomSignal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote