What is your favorite hardware FX unit currently?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 16-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
What is your favorite hardware FX unit currently?

Title says it all really...sure another waste thread...but lets do it! You can include a particular feature or FX inside a synthesizer, groovebox or drum machine as well.

I don't know if it counts but the Performance mode on the Elektron Analog 4 where you can setup one knob to control up to four parameters on the machine at once is really tickling me at the moment.

Also Berhinger Chorus Space-C (CC300) was really worth the dough even with the limited options it presents. Sounds *really* tasty on my Mopho Keys.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #2
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts
Re: What is your Favorite Hardware FX unit Currnetly?

Alesis Q2.

Line 6 PodXT Pro

Digitech Studio Quad

All 3 can be had for bargain bin prices, none of them sound AMAZING and thats the appeal for me. I have high end in the box, when i want... um, less than high end (?) i use these.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (16-02-2016)
Old 17-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

not so many hw fx pplz huh??

------------------
Old 17-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810

I like any of the older zoom guitar pedals. I know a lot of people knock them for being cheap or cheesy but for ease of use and being able to create your own presets nothing beats them, plus they're fairly sturdy which is always a bonus. I've had the same 506 Bass pedal for at least 15 years and its still going strong.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

I've got a Zoom Tri-Metal distortion that is the best industrial/powernoise percussion maker I've ever heard.

I don't use it that much anymore, but when there is a need, its close at hand.

------------------
Old 17-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I'm pretty picky with hardware FX (don't read that as expensive)...I absolutely love my Rogue "Analog" (I don't think it is, actually) Delay, it was about twenty dollars but sounds nice and dirty and does that great pitch shifty thing.

Strymon El Capistan is of course just beautiful. Haven't used it much lately, but I can't see selling it really. As Chase says, when I need it, it is there. The Zoom CDR was really great, but not really tweakable live so I lost interest in it. If I'm going to use something static I can get better results ITB or I' have a Lexicon MX200 which is great for a little bread and butter flavor.

I recently sold my OTO Biscuit. I really do love that FX box and thought I was getting somewhere with using it subtly, but it doesn't really want to do that and at the end of the day everything always sounded like you were using the Biscuit.

------------------
Old 18-02-2016, 01:44 AM   #7
anthraxeater
Minor Glitch
anthraxeater will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Digitech RP-21D, a multi-FX pedalboard for guitar. It's old and kind of wonky to edit but great for reverbs & delays. The expression pedal can do things like morph between patches or intensify an effect. The distortion sucks out loud and I ignore that, otherwise it's a fun unit.
anthraxeater is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to anthraxeater
relic (18-02-2016)
Old 18-02-2016, 05:22 AM   #8
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5747143

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post

I recently sold my OTO Biscuit. I really do love that FX box and thought I was getting somewhere with using it subtly, but it doesn't really want to do that and at the end of the day everything always sounded like you were using the Biscuit.
Not to nay say, I've never used it but I'm always curious if someone used "it" to strangle the sound and then something else after warp/edit/etc, further molesting and still didn't like the outcome.

Seems pricey, for the small box.

I may add something later. The only thing I have is the Modulizer-Pro and I haven't been using it much lately.

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 06:08 AM   #9
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Not to nay say, I've never used it but I'm always curious if someone used "it" to strangle the sound and then something else after warp/edit/etc, further molesting and still didn't like the outcome.

Seems pricey, for the small box.

I may add something later. The only thing I have is the Modulizer-Pro and I haven't been using it much lately.
I'm probably being dense, but I read the first part like three times and I'm not sure what you are suggesting. I think you are talking about running audio through the Biscuit multiple times? I think if that is what you mean you'd end up with mush pretty quickly.

If you actually check out everything it can do it isn't terribly expensive. It is also a mono synth with a sequencer. Has a fantastic dirty delay and a step sequenced filter.

Anyway, it payed for the better part of an Elektron Analog 4 which I've already gotten double the miles out of.

------------------
Old 18-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5747143

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'm probably being dense, but I read the first part like three times and I'm not sure what you are suggesting. I think you are talking about running audio through the Biscuit multiple times? I think if that is what you mean you'd end up with mush pretty quickly.

If you actually check out everything it can do it isn't terribly expensive. It is also a mono synth with a sequencer. Has a fantastic dirty delay and a step sequenced filter.

Anyway, it payed for the better part of an Elektron Analog 4 which I've already gotten double the miles out of.
No, I possibly made the question simply dense, in my head. It looks small, relatively. Which from what I've read is a "focused" unit in most cases. So bringing in a lot of outside attention, adds to what it can do. I'm no necessarily speaking to it specifically, just moreso my past attempts at using things in that vein.

I will admit that my attempts are limited. The reason I purchased the Darkstar synth I own right now wasn't because of the high grades it was given. It was because I felt like I could give it another sound it wasn't meant to have.

It was cheap. It was a challenge and for what I intended using it, fun to jack with. Again, I'm not knocking the posession of anything or the usage. Simply, I've had fun messing with it. Those recording go into effect. Those presets molested to what I was shooting towards.

I acutally think that happens a lot before someone like me touches a "wav" recroding.

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 179160
Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,127 Posts
Re: What is your favorite hardware FX unit currently?

I always had a special love for this crusty late seventies digital delay that I got for like twenty bucks.
I use it to stereoize/bitcrush/distort other effects, mainly. Notably spring reverb. What it does is always kosher in mono... Does great slapback delays on it's own.

It has a really nice retrofuturistic lofi character... I fucking love it.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
relic (19-02-2016)
Old 23-02-2016, 03:55 AM   #12
halford88
Minor Glitch
halford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the rough
Milwaukee
MC Status: 310

I just made a stutter/mute button that is really dumb but I really like it. It's just a SPST arcade button wired to an input and an output jack. When you press the button down, the volume mutes, and when you let the button up, volume comes back. It's very springy, so I've been using it sort of like an analogue tremolo, or a volume gate. I'll post pictures in the DIY thread when I've reached post count.
halford88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to halford88
relic (23-02-2016)
Old 23-02-2016, 04:48 AM   #13
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by halford88 View Post
I just made a stutter/mute button that is really dumb but I really like it. It's just a SPST arcade button wired to an input and an output jack. When you press the button down, the volume mutes, and when you let the button up, volume comes back. It's very springy, so I've been using it sort of like an analogue tremolo, or a volume gate. I'll post pictures in the DIY thread when I've reached post count.
That is actually pretty cool man.

------------------
Old 23-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #14
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810

Quote:
Originally Posted by halford88 View Post
That's sounds cool, I wanna see it.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 02:49 AM   #15
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
That's sounds cool, I wanna see it.
This. I would totally use something like that TBH. It be something inexpensive to pound on when doing live takes : )

Advertisements

------------------