Can I run my laptop directly into my car speakers?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
Can I run my laptop directly into my car speakers?

Im going through this thing of really wanting to car test my tracks as that is the missing link in my production. I can make tracks sound good on headphones and good on monitors but flaws in the low end are often revealed in the car test as well as unwanted mud... However I hate this idea of making a track in my studio and then finding out the problems later as I feel that I need that immediate feedback which may influence my sound choice drastically.

Is there a way to easily run the output of my laptop right into the car speakers . It is a Toyota built in system that's about 10 years old, dc and tape deck. I tried one of those tape decks that convert ipod signals from the headphone jacks a while back and it sounded so bad.

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts
Re: Can I run my laptop directly into my car speakers?

Without an aux input it'll sound like crud but there are FM transmitters out there that put out a signal to any blank frequency on the FM dial. They can play anything you have from walkmans to iphones to laptops as long as you have the 1/8" cord plugged into the transmitter from the laptop's headphone jack.

Other than that I'd say buy a new stereo with a usb output, it's awesome. I had a rental car last week with one and it was fucking heavenly to be able to pop a flash drive full of tunes in there and jam.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Adam201
Soundwave Mangler
Adam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant futureAdam201 has a brilliant future
Canberra
MC Status: 1960

You can buy those random Tapes that have a 1/8 inch jack that you plug into your computer/ipod.

Google: Tape to Aux and click images. (As I cant post links yet )
Just put this badboy in your tape player and other end into your computer and boom! you have instant choons in your car! Not sure about the quality though... maybe a new way to add tape compression to your track haha...
Adam201 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam201 View Post
You can buy those random Tapes that have a 1/8 inch jack that you plug into your computer/ipod
Was thinking the same thing...like one of these:

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
hiddensound
hiddensound is just really nicehiddensound is just really nicehiddensound is just really nicehiddensound is just really nice
Phoenix, AZ
MC Status: 360

check out the headphone thread I just posted I was going through the same issue.
testing tracks from an mp3 plyer into the aux and hearing the mud.

this beyer dynamic virtual studio plugin has a car emulation that is really close. other than some extra reverb, it nails what frequences are boosted/cut.
I was able to get my bassline sounding way nicer and discovered i shoulda cut out a bit of lows in a kick

i cant post up links yet but search for it at the jrrshop.

best part is its free, and works for mac or pc

theres another one called Isone too, also free

should save us many trips to and from the car and all those extra miles
hiddensound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Lehsyrus
Granular Poster
Lehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Honestly I think you should invest in a cheapie USB head unit that supports WAV and MP3, and a USB drive. Then export into both formats and test them both out.
Lehsyrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
DCA
Sample Destroyer
DCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

I would invest in a new head unit.

I have one in my car that takes USB as well as regular 3.5mm its great we do it all the time test stuff out on my car system

------------------
Support from iknodubstep, ThatBassNation
Squinty Bass Records
DCA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Was thinking the same thing...like one of these:

be careful though, the inputs on these have very little headroom before distortion.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763

All good ideas

I should clarify I don't want to be exporting I want to actually be making a track sitting in my car with the output running to the car speaker.
henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

If you're willing to bring your laptop into your car to judge your mixes, you should probably look into good monitors and bass traps / room treatment so you can make better mixing decisions while you mix. I've been meaning to finish off my room treatment project forever, but even better speaker placement and a couple of big bass traps in the corners of the room have made a huge difference for me. Check out the room treatment thread that is stickied.

Advertisements

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote