Beat Battle 89: Homegrown Oscillators
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles Beat Battle's happen here.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Trebesch
IDMf Artist
Trebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MC
Isle of Skye
MC Status: 8602181
Beat Battle 89: Homegrown Oscillators

Rules:
  • 130 bpm or faster
  • Only use minor scales
  • Your theme is anxiety
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

THE CHALLENGE:
The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST:
Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.
Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES:
Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting this Sunday
Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 11 days later (Thursday)
Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (Saturday).
The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (Sunday), to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Advertisements

Trebesch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #2
Red-man
Granular Poster
Red-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860
Re: Beat Battle 89: Homegrown Oscillators

Only about 4 hours into making something for this and already the samples are fucking unrecognisable.
Red-man is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Red-man
I/O_Madness (09-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 02:06 AM   #3
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 21060

That's good! Mine sounds like Brittney Spears.

I'm guessing you made the oscillators yourself Treb?

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tsachi
I/O_Madness (09-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
Trebesch
IDMf Artist
Trebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MC
Isle of Skye

Yep, they're literally just a capacitor, transistor and a potentiometer. Each of those samples will be a few cents out of tune from each other because I liked how they sounded when layered on top of each other in a sampler.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11499704
Thanked 1,245 Times in 908 Posts

Wait, you recorded a potentiometer through a capacitor and a transistor?

I took some circuits classes and I was really interested in learning more about how noise makers worked, but we didn't do anything with sound in labs and I have no background in circuits and so it was mostly circuit analysis, but very little of it made sense to me and it was more akin to hieroglyphs.

------------------
"I imagine for something like that you'd need a rather large number of microphones"
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
Even Unregistered can compete in the latest BEAT BATTLE!!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
Trebesch
IDMf Artist
Isle of Skye

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I used to learn about it. It'll explain it better than I ever could.
Thanks to Trebesch
I/O_Madness (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Red-man
Granular Poster
Red-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant future

Right lads, here's my entry. Could probably do with more work, but to be honest my motivations been low the last couple days and I've had enough of editing now so this'll have to do.
Thanks to Red-man
Tsachi (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 04:32 AM   #8
7asid
Soundscaper
7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC7asid is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 12710

Give us a clock Treb

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 7asid
I/O_Madness (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 AM   #9
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

^^

Was gonna say

------------------
"I imagine for something like that you'd need a rather large number of microphones"

I/O_Madness
Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC

Subs are due Thursday and voting ends Saturday

------------------
Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
Trebesch
IDMf Artist
Isle of Skye

What was the countdown people have been using? I cant seem to find it anywhere. Every other one seems to be html
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebesch View Post
What was the countdown people have been using? I cant seem to find it anywhere. Every other one seems to be html
Weird, seems the site is down for the clock we normally use: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 12-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
Trebesch
IDMf Artist
Isle of Skye

A landslide has wiped out the power where I live, they've just got generators up and running but it's a bit hit and miss. Hopefully they'll get it fixed in time, otherwise I'll just try and post the mess Ive already done for this.
Old 15-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #14
Tsachi
IDMf Artist

A bit rushed with the mixing but I liked the second part enough to leave it pretty much how it is.
Old 15-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
Trebesch
IDMf Artist
Isle of Skye

Certainly fulfills rule 3, good job Tsachi
Old 15-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #16
Trebesch
IDMf Artist
Isle of Skye

Didn't really do any mixing because I'm lazy.

Still over 7 hours left if anyone needs to finish theirs
Thanks to Trebesch
Tsachi (16-11-2018)
Old 16-11-2018, 01:10 AM   #17
Tsachi
IDMf Artist

^Real pretty, I like the melodic content. Glad you could do this despite landslide. You should turn it up!

Also Red-man your track is incredibly wild and polished sounding, very IDM, nice work.

------------------
Thanks to Tsachi
Red-man (17-11-2018)
Old 17-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
Trebesch
IDMf Artist
Isle of Skye

Alright I'm voting for Red-man. Very IDM, much production
Thanks to Trebesch
Red-man (17-11-2018)
Old 17-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #19
Red-man
Granular Poster

Tough decision, bought tracks were quality. But I'm gonna vote for Tsachi. Really fit the theme of anxiety
Old 17-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #20
Tsachi
IDMf Artist

Red has my vote, a prime example of what can be achieved in a beat battle

Advertisements

------------------