Need help with heavily automated basses and phase issues?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
QwertyGabi
Regular Freak
QwertyGabi is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Need help with heavily automated basses and phase issues?

So when i create heavy drum and bass basses in serum or something, i end up getting a really cool sound but my left and right signals gets all fucked and arent playing the exact same thing when i want them to. Sorry for my ignorance, but is this what happens when there is phase cancellation? If so, how do i avoid it and get a clean sound while still being able to heavilly automate paramaters and make interesting basses.

To help understand what i mean, idk if other DAWs have this cuz i only use ableton, but when i bounce those basses to audio, in Ableton you can clearly see that the top 'half' of the signal diagram is completely different from the bottom (aka the left and right channel).

fucking hell this is an absolutely awful worded question but i hope 1 person knows what i mean lol. It may not even be phase cancellation and could be something completely different, fuck idk. help.

and also im not using any Pan automations, im mainly using 'Fm from B' automations and Combs filter automations.

Advertisements

QwertyGabi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
Red-man
Granular Poster
Red-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860
Re: Need help with heavily automated basses and phase issues?

Phase cancellation is when two signals of the same frequency but in different phase, imagine one being positive and the other being negative, cross over each other and basically cancel each other out resulting in a loss or reduction of volume. Typically one of the reasons a signal falls out of phase with another signal is because that signal is delayed slightly.

Comb filtering works by taking the original signal fed into the filter and delaying it by a short amount of time to create the comb filter effect. So that might be what's causing the problem. Have you tried bouncing the audio out with the comb filter turned off and checking the waveform then?

I think that might be what's causing your issue but I'm no technical expert by any means so hopefully someone else can be more helpful than me, but maybe just try that first to see
Red-man is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 38460
Re: Need help with heavily automated basses and phase issues?

Have you tried running the instrument plugins in mono, if possible? If so, then we have a big problem, I usually just reload the project until it works then. If you can't run the plugin in mono, then just take whatever channel/insert your sound is on and mono that out, then render, then put it through FX for stereo if you want it.

Advertisements

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote