808 trap-bass problems
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 16-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
eliw777
Microknight
eliw777 will become famous soon enougheliw777 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 116
Icon8 808 trap-bass problems

Hey IDM, I'm trying to use some 808 bass similar to this style:

but I just can't quite get it to sit in the mix correctly. On my bass channel strip, I'm using EQ, moderate compression, Waves Lo-Air and then a limiter. For some reason the lower notes are really subdued and the higher notes are too resonant, and it becomes severely detuned when a different top synth kicks in. I've made sure that there are no competing freqs with the bass (high passed everything else) and have messed around extensively with every parameter... but I just can't get it to work!! Any tips from someone familiar with this style? Thanks!

Advertisements

------------------
eliw777 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5747143
Re: 808 trap-bass problems

Can you link what you have?

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
eliw777
Microknight

Here's a really rough example of what I'm trying to do, this is the best I could get out the 808 bass.

------------------
Old 16-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238529

Ugh, cut that high pitched harmonic mess. Or at least attenuate it. It's just annoying. It needs something sidechained to it or something to just make it less..

Annoying.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
Unregistered's music is self indulgent nonesense!
MC Status: 25172146

turn all outboard off and just work with levels and inline eq... thats it. If you cant make it work with just that, then your choice of sounds is fundamentally wrong.

do not overcomplicate things

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

When working with 808 basses, I find a little saturation goes a long way.

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
p_s_f
Soundwave Mangler
p_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MC
MC Status: 1315326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifiseer View Post
When working with 808 basses, I find a little saturation goes a long way.
Yep. I like PSP Vintage Warmer for this, a lot.
p_s_f is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Zoopy
Microknight
Zoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MC
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 102306

try resampling the individual bassnotes to get the volume you want for each note.

------------------
Zoopy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

I know of this problem, man. It's just how these basses work. The ones above 100Hz are going to seem like they are poking out more then the lower ones. Don't worry about it. There are still a number of things you can do, tho.

1) Use a bell curve EQ with a medium bandwidth to cut out the area in which the upper notes play around (maybe around 1.5 or 2 dBs) while simultaneously boosting the subs with a low-shelf.

2) Use a saturation/subtle distortion/overdrive plugin to help the lower notes to be heard. You can either use a send (much better results IMO) or a plugin with a dry/wet knob. I prefer to be subtle here, but that's just like my opinion, man.

3) Still not sounding how you'd like it? Try using multi-band compression to compress the upper notes a bit. Again, subtly is key here.

4) If it's STILL not sounding good enough (I doubt it), you can try compressing the entire thing a bit (preferably with a very transparent compressor). If that is still not cutting it, try automating the sub bass notes individually. I'd think that would be a pain in the ass, and I actually have never done anything like that (pain in the ass), but I'm thinking it could work.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to YoMyEX
eliw777 (17-03-2013)
Old 17-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
eliw777
Microknight

Thanks for the replies... YoMyEx, your suggestions made a major improvement, I think I'm starting to get a feel for it. Thanks!

------------------
Old 17-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628939

I'd use keytracking in a sampler on the volume. you can set this up so higher notes have less volume than lower notes.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
mavndrll
mavndrll is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeboo View Post
I'd use keytracking in a sampler on the volume. you can set this up so higher notes have less volume than lower notes.
this is the ticket, and what really upped my sub game (sub game james franco)
mavndrll is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
SUN of IRA
Soundwave Mangler
SUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant future
Manchester
MC Status: 1610

I would either do as Steeboo has suggessted or maybe seperate each note of the 808 into its own channel so that you can EQ and process appropriately to get each note resonating to your liking.
SUN of IRA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #14
Lalangan
Learning The Ropes
Lalangan is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

While we're on this topic which saturation and distortion plugins (preferably free) do you guys recommend for 808 bass?
Lalangan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #15
Artifiseer
Soundscaper
Artifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond reputeArtifiseer has a reputation beyond repute
Fredericton
MC Status: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalangan View Post
While we're on this topic which saturation and distortion plugins (preferably free) do you guys recommend for 808 bass?
Honestly, if you're just going for subtle distortion, pretty much anything will do the trick.

------------------
Artifiseer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #16
eliw777
Microknight

Quote:
I used FabFilter Saturn and it sounds pretty dope, definitely improved the mix.

------------------
Old 19-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #17
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
in the preferably free category, you could try Tal tube, but if you've got saturn I can't imagine why you'd be looking for freeware, unless that's a demo
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #18
SUN of IRA
Soundwave Mangler
SUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant future
Manchester
MC Status: 1610

Quote:
Camel crusher

Advertisements

SUN of IRA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote