80s Snare samples - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 25-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #21
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler
mic3756 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: 80s Snare samples

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMyEX View Post
Reverb was done via send for all tracks. I sent -2.5 dBs of the snare to the Gated plate verb, -5.9dBs to the Long Hall, and -50dBS to the Long plate. The clap that is layering the snare has a very similar reverb send set-up as well. The gated verb is definitely the most prominent of the group, while the hall and plate have more of a decay, so I had those lower in the mix.
Here are some pics of the project:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
:victory:
Thanks thats cool. I really like the API I just started using it. You have used it to great affect

Advertisements

mic3756 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
DaltonHibbard
Regular Freak
DaltonHibbard is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Love the sound you got out of that snare. I was able to get a nice reverb down but not the compression. I'm working with Logic's compressor and it's just not happening. I really don't wanna shell out $400 for the API one though. Any tips?
DaltonHibbard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #23
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonHibbard View Post
Love the sound you got out of that snare. I was able to get a nice reverb down but not the compression. I'm working with Logic's compressor and it's just not happening. I really don't wanna shell out $400 for the API one though. Any tips?
I'd focus on the ratio, attack, and release.

For the settings, I had my attack at medium (3 Ms) to let enough of the transient through, a high ratio (
), and a very fast release time (.05 Ms) to give it a more "breathing" sound when paired with the reverb.
I think the trick is to squeeze out the right amount of attack without completely killing the sound. I usually try to make it stand out just enough to punch through the mix.

You can just copy the attack and release settings, but I don't think logic's comp has a
:1 ratio. Mess with the threshold and ratio and you will most likely find something similar. If anything, I could try and replicate the settings in Logic's comp and send over that preset.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
DaltonHibbard
Regular Freak

Yeah, I tried using the same settings but it hardly changed the sound. I'm still working at it, but the fact that Logic's compressor doesn't have that high of a ratio actually makes a big difference. If you could send over the preset it would be hugely appreciated.
Old 30-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL

Quote:
Yeah, I tried using the same settings but it hardly changed the sound. I'm still working at it, but the fact that Logic's compressor doesn't have that high of a ratio actually makes a big difference. If you could send over the preset it would be hugely appreciated.
K so here is what I did:
I used the same sample and API settings that I used in that Human League thing. I then tried to replicate the same initial attack, release, and ratio settings with Logic's compressor. Here is what I got:

Logic's comp:

Circuit Type: FET
Attack: 140.0ms
Release: 51.0ms
Ratio: 7:7:1
Knee: 0
Threshold: -25.0dB

The different samples were very hard to tell apart, but the API had SLIGHTLY more initial attack, so I then used Logic's Enveloper (raised the attack gain 12%) to compensate.

After many listens (like 20 minutes of A/Bing) I felt that the API treats the release better then Logic's comp. It just sounds smoother and not as squashed. Sounds more natural imo. Also, like I said, the attack of the API is king. Perfect for bringing out that percussive attack we all want in our drums. Logic's is good, but I had to play around with the settings much more, which took more time. In the end, the API still sounded better anyway.

Last edited by YoMyEX; 30-10-2012 at 07:02 PM..

------------------
Old 31-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #26
DaltonHibbard
Regular Freak

Thanks so much for doing that. Gonna try out those settings tonight. Maybe I'll consider buying the API 2500. I don't know, it just seems like a crazy amount of money for a compressor.
Old 31-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #27
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
Miami Beach, FL

Quote:
Thanks so much for doing that. Gonna try out those settings tonight. Maybe I'll consider buying the API 2500. I don't know, it just seems like a crazy amount of money for a compressor.
It definitely is expensive, but I think the biggest asset of a good piece of gear/plug-in is the small amount of time you need to get it sounding "good." When you are doing your mix-down, you want to bypass as much time fucking with your settings in order to get the sound you are looking for, especially if you are on a deadline. Then, there is also the quality of the gear/plug-in, and how it treats the audio. No matter which settings you choose, sometimes, you just can't completely emulate another.
I think those are the strong points of better quality gear/plug-ins, but not necessarily more expensive.

------------------
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Reverb was done via send for all tracks. I sent -2.5 dBs of the snare to the Gated plate verb, -5.9dBs to the Long Hall, and -50dBS to the Long plate. The clap that is layering the snare has a very similar reverb send set-up as well. The gated verb is definitely the most prominent of the group, while the hall and plate have more of a decay, so I had those lower in the mix.
Here are some pics of the project:

:victory:

Hey mate I was wondering if you still have this project and could share more details of the reverbs. In particular
the gated reverb and gate settings. I have been playing with the Lexplate and ableton gate. But I would love to A/B Mine and you settings.

Gate its the blue plate preset with 0.02 veb time and gate threshold -28, A 3.50ms, Rel 5.ms, Hold 10.0 ms

Can you help out with details or screen shots. Would be a massive help, appreciate it
Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #29
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
Miami Beach, FL

Sure, man.

'Gated Medium Plate' verb aux (in order):

EQ
LPF @ 71Hz, 48dB/Oct slope, Q = 0.71.
HPF @ 12kHz, 6dB/Oct slope.

Reverb
Medium Plate
Pre-delay: 20ms
Reverb Time: 2.028 sec.
Diffusion: 100%
Stereo Spread: 17% (0% being mono)
Size: 27.5 Meters

Gate
Floor: -Inf
Gate Open: -30.0dBs
Gate Close: -30.0dBs
Attack: 6.09
Release: 184
Hold: 0.10
(definitely mess with the Gate Open/Close, as our gain structure will vary)

'Medium Hall' verb aux setup:

EQ
LPF @ 78Hz, 24dB/Oct, Q = 0.71
HPF @ 9200Hz, 6dB/Oct, Q = 0.71

Reverb
Medium Hall (light)
Pre-delay: 14.00 ms
Reverb Time: 1.1651 sec
Diffusion: 97%
Spread: 51%
Size: 35.0 Meters

'Large Plate' verb aux setup:

EQ
LPF @ 300Hz, 6dB/Oct slope.

Reverb
Large Plate (light)
Pre-delay: 10.00 Ms
Reverb Time: 2.1223 sec
Spread: 32%
Size: 48.0 meters

Pretty much all of the reverb details right here. Anything else?

------------------
Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Sure, man.

'Gated Medium Plate' verb aux (in order):

EQ
LPF @ 71Hz, 48dB/Oct slope, Q = 0.71.
HPF @ 12kHz, 6dB/Oct slope.

Reverb
Medium Plate
Pre-delay: 20ms
Reverb Time: 2.028 sec.
Stereo Spread: 17% (0% being mono)
Size: 27.5 Meters

Gate
Floor: -Inf
Gate Open: -30.0dBs
Gate Close: -30.0dBs
Attack: 6.09
Release: 184
Hold: 0.10
(definitely mess with the Gate Open/Close, as our gain structure will vary)

'Medium Hall' verb aux setup:

EQ
LPF @ 78Hz, 24dB/Oct, Q = 0.71
HPF @ 9200Hz, 6dB/Oct, Q = 0.71

Reverb
Medium Hall (light)
Pre-delay: 14.00 ms
Reverb Time: 1.1651 sec
Diffusion: 97%
Spread: 51%
Size: 35.0 Meters

'Large Plate' verb aux setup:

EQ
LPF @ 300Hz, 6dB/Oct slope.

Reverb
Large Plate (light)
Pre-delay: 10.00 Ms
Reverb Time: 2.1223 sec
Spread: 32%
Size: 48.0 meters

Pretty much all of the reverb details right here. Anything else?

haha Thanks mate your a legend, thats awesome! Sounds pretty good now. Im trying to really nail Reverbs heaps lately, Trying to get the track to have a feel to it. Started just using a small and larger reverbs as sends and use them to produce deep house sort of stuff.

Can you break down these reverbs for me and any advice want to try and get familiar with it.

The reverb on the clap from the start? When ever I go for this the Veb sounds way to crisp and to much like a large reverb instead of sounding like a puff or air like the one in the clip. If that makes sense? Ive tried EQ but I feel its something in the Reverb settings?

This ones the same again pretty much

Last edited by mic3756; 12-01-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Old 13-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #31
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
Miami Beach, FL

Hmmm.... you could try a large or large-medium neutral (maybe a bit bright) plate reverb. About 2 seconds? I'd have to experiment. But yeah, definitely sounds like a long plate or a bright hall reverb. Also, experiment with the stereo image of the reverb. Reverbs that are spread further tend to sound bigger and somewhat brighter, so mess around with that.

------------------
Old 13-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #32
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Hmmm.... you could try a large or large-medium neutral (maybe a bit bright) plate reverb. About 2 seconds? I'd have to experiment. But yeah, definitely sounds like a long plate or a bright hall reverb. Also, experiment with the stereo image of the reverb. Reverbs that are spread further tend to sound bigger and somewhat brighter, so mess around with that.

Cool I'll work with that and see what I can do tomorrow.
Old 15-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #33
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Ok so I tried out a few thinks. Lexicon medium plate and hall reverbs. I played around with diffusion and shape to get the best result. But honestly it still not right and killing me. Does anyone have any solutions?!

My attempts don't have the fluffy air sound still, its still to ''metallic''. My guess is its not the size or time as much as something else because in this example it has the same sounding reverb but shorter reverb time to the original art department tracks.

Best herd at 0:13

YoMyEX please help!
Old 22-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #34
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
This is a perfect example of what Im after

clap/snares reverb starts at 30 seconds, I created a thread about this just now heres the thread link

Advertisements