A Rant about Kinesthetic Learners. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #41
recession proof
Granular Poster
recession proof is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: A Rant about Kinesthetic Learners.

I like your thinking OnyxNecron

Advertisements

recession proof is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #42
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7239129

I notice people are actually taking this thread seriously. I think it might be a good time to point out that the learning styles are bullshit. The only reason why they work is because you keep telling yourself you learn best through auditory, visual, or kinetic feedback. Tests have returned no data to suggest the learning styles are true. They're just crap.

For further reading: Clark, R.C. (2010). Evidence-Based Training Methods: A Guide for Training Professionals. Alexandria, VA: ASTD Press.

The main reason why it is so persistant as a myth is because yes, people learn differently. That says nothing about them having a persistant bias towards one learning style. The reason why you learn differently is because you have different experiences and prior knowledge. It's even a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy: If you're told from a child that you're a visual learner, you'll begin to pay more attention to visual clues. As such, you'll learn to get better at recognizing them, and your brain processes them faster.

For many it is also simply preference. You prefer to learn through tactile feedback. It has nothing to do with you learning better through it, although it might effect your affective learning. (In general, people who are more positive about learning stuff learn faster.) Besides, even if we insist on categorizing the perceptual learning styles, we get a much longer list. I might miss some here, but the ones that I can remember are:

Visual - GRAPHS. I DON'T SEE ENOUGH GRAPHS. GIVE ME MORE GRAPHS. SPECTROGRAMS. I WANT TO SEE EVERYTHING. MONITOR EVERYTHING. I AM A MONITOR LIZARD. RAWR. HEAR ME WATCH. SEEING IS BELIEVING.
Kinetic - The feeling of doing something. Learning through movement. This is the guy who only owns a wii as a gaming console, and just loves it.
Auditory - This is for people who want to listen, or who want auditory feedback. This is the guy who notices that the sound of sneaking enemies is always approximately 0.35 metres too far when playing a video game.
Print - Yeah, this has its' own one. People who like to read. A lot.
Interactive - In the sense of conversation. This is the guy who likes to ask tons of questions from the teacher and spends like half of the lecture talking to them, and then posts like 20 questions on the internet forums.
Haptic - Sense of touch and grasp. When you talk about TWISTING DEM KNOBS this is actually what you're doing.
Olfactory - Sense of smell and taste. Probably not very applicable to music, but if you want to learn cooking, pretty important.

Of course, I'm overexaggerating these here. All of us have capability for each of these, but we have them trained to different degrees. For best results, try to engage all of these in an activity, and you should learn pretty well. This is why playing an actual instrument can be very rewarding. You have visual learning from the sheet music, kinetic from actually playing the thing and haptic from the way it feels and how plucking a string makes the instrument vibrate. Auditory from the sounds it makes, of course.

Cooking, likewise. Of course smell and taste are very important, but you'll also learn to recognize stuff by the sound of them, and looking at them is very nice. Heck, there is even a haptic part about how the food feels in your mouth. You can probably continue this for most hobbies you have.

TL;DR: You can learn in more ways than one. There are more ways to learn than you think. You should learn in all of them, instead of just one.

Last edited by Blingley; 07-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Trying to format this thing. Not succesful.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #43
Telengard
Minor Glitch
Telengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MC
MC Status: 75852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
I think it might be a good time to point out that the learning styles are bullshit. The only reason why they work is because you keep telling yourself you learn best through auditory, visual, or kinetic feedback. Tests have returned no data to suggest the learning styles are true. They're just crap.
There are billions of people who do things which may see like they have limited themselves because they believe something that works for them and have achieved genius-like results. I think I understand what you are saying by people coming to the conclusion that they think they are in only one category and limit themselves to it.

Everyone grows up with billions upon billions of different stimulus without taking into account genetics that wires each of our brains differently. In my opinion, the more important matter is to figure out what really works for you personally.

I figured out young what works for me without hearing about such categories and have been very successful in my pursuits.
Telengard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #44
OnyxNecron
Analog Lurker
OnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MC
The Basemet of Eternal Darkness
MC Status: 134731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telengard View Post
There are billions of people who do things which may see like they have limited themselves because they believe something that works for them and have achieved genius-like results. I think I understand what you are saying by people coming to the conclusion that they think they are in only one category and limit themselves to it.

Everyone grows up with billions upon billions of different stimulus without taking into account genetics that wires each of our brains differently. In my opinion, the more important matter is to figure out what really works for you personally.

I figured out young what works for me without hearing about such categories and have been very successful in my pursuits.
But there are still ways of teaching yourself how to learn differently, you just need to keep an open mind. If you had an eternity to learn everything there is to learn, you would find that it takes different methods of learning to learn different types of subjects. People can come over their genetic setbacks as well.

------------------

I've made dubstep in Audacity.
OnyxNecron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #45
Telengard
Minor Glitch
Telengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MCTelengard is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxNecron View Post
But there are still ways of teaching yourself how to learn differently, you just need to keep an open mind. If you had an eternity to learn everything there is to learn, you would find that it takes different methods of learning to learn different types of subjects. People can come over their genetic setbacks as well.
You missed what I said. I do use my open mind and have found many ways to learn different subjects.

If something works for a person they don't have to feel like there is something wrong with them just because they fall more into one category then another. If you force yourself to follow a path because someone TELLS you to have an open mind and that THEIR way is better, it doesn't MEAN that it is better for you.

Everyone has their own way and my point is for them to not feel like they are wrong for the way they learn and do things, which I am getting from the tone of some of the comments. I am just looking out for the people who are having difficulty and don't get anywhere because people keep telling them that they need to just keep at a technique that doesn't work for them. Anyone can learn something if they keep at it, but often times there is a better way to learn something that ends with the same outcome and often a much more creative outcome for that person. If that makes any sense.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #46
OnyxNecron
Analog Lurker
OnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MC
The Basemet of Eternal Darkness
MC Status: 134731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telengard View Post
You missed what I said. I do use my open mind and have found many ways to learn different subjects.

If something works for a person they don't have to feel like there is something wrong with them just because they fall more into one category then another. If you force yourself to follow a path because someone TELLS you to have an open mind and that THEIR way is better, it doesn't MEAN that it is better for you.

Everyone has their own way and my point is for them to not feel like they are wrong for the way they learn and do things, which I am getting from the tone of some of the comments. I am just looking out for the people who are having difficulty and don't get anywhere because people keep telling them that they need to just keep at a technique that doesn't work for them. Anyone can learn something if they keep at it, but often times there is a better way to learn something that ends with the same outcome and often a much more creative outcome for that person. If that makes any sense.
Why shouldn't it apply to everyone? Sure people need to find out their own path and ways of doing things, but they should at least try the latter before they rule out any possibilities. It's all the process of finding out how to do things the best, and it's different for everybody. It's just a matter of your own personal path to finding out how to do it best your way. I am not forcing anybody to use my path, its not a path it's a mindset that I am talking about.

------------------

I've made dubstep in Audacity.
OnyxNecron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #47
Telengard
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxNecron View Post
Why shouldn't it apply to everyone? Sure people need to find out their own path and ways of doing things, but they should at least try the latter before they rule out any possibilities. It's all the process of finding out how to do things the best, and it's different for everybody. It's just a matter of your own personal path to finding out how to do it best your way. I am not forcing anybody to use my path, its not a path it's a mindset that I am talking about.
You know what, I think we are implying the same things only expressing it differently.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #48
radiowaves
Savage Mad Cunt
radiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MC
MC Status: 24505865

How do I know wether I am visual learner or kinesthetic learner?

I can visualize stuff greatly, but do I also learn with this, hmm.

Advertisements

------------------
radiowaves is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote