24/192 Is very silly indeed - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 23-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #21
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744052541
Thanked 7,704 Times in 4,750 Posts
Re: 24/192 Is very silly indeed

Yeah I know dude.
Normally it's people who don't have the facility to do these things that moan about them though.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
thehadgi
Regular Freak
thehadgi is currently spamming hard
Columbus, OH
MC Status: 13

For a high end studio that has the resources to invest in the highest quality gear to be used by mix engineers, it is not silly.

For an artist making music without the resources of a large studio, there are probably wiser investments. Sample rates aren't the only field where audible quality is questionable for the price you pay vs. something else: Mic's, pre's, cables, other hardware, different software plugs that perform similiar functions, etc.

A technological feature isn't silly just because certain people can't hear differences: If an organization or individual has the money and chooses to invest in specific parts of their studio, it is worth it for them.

What I consider silly is saying recording at 24 bit is inferior to 16 bit: it increases headroom in a mix, which should be a desirable thing.
thehadgi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021126

192kHz.. useless.. case closed.

Back to the real topic, quantum physics !

aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #24
Trace Elements
Soundscaper
Trace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MC
MC Status: 4716700

Didn't think this thread would cause soo much interest. I just posted it from a discussion on reddit. As an engineer I'm in agreement with the author.

Long story short 192 is recording ultra sonics. It is impossible to hear ultrasonics, worse yet they can still cause standing waves, interference and physical conflict with speakers to actually REDUCE sound quality. Also they can unecessarily eat up headroom or trigger compressors when in frequencies you cannot hear.

Also 192 won't do much for soft synths as there's no original acoustic performance to capture. The point the author is making is that there's no perceived benefit for 192 on the consumer or pro-hobbyist level. Sure maybe if you have perfectly located monitors, 10k+ worth of interfaces, converters and mic's and a treated room you may start to tell the difference. But I don't think anyone here on this board has that type of gear.

It's really superfluous to making music and does not increase the quality of our recordings. I would maybe argue for 96 and 24 bit if you do a lot of sampling that is going to be mangled and especially pitched shifted down or stretched, other than that nyquist theorem mathematically proves that minimum sampling rate to 100% reproduce a given frequency response.

Finally in the digital age, the first thing most of us do is post to soundcloud or youtube or whatever any gains are instantly smashed against the lossy formats used by online sites.

Advertisements

Trace Elements is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote