2 MBP hooked up to the same gear?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back ğ The Studio ğ The Studio
Old 28-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
FOURZERO3
Granular Poster
FOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MC
the beach
MC Status: 3174045
2 MBP hooked up to the same gear?

Is it possible to have 2 MBP's hooked up to the same studio gear, and be able to work at the same time (with different gear obviously) but not interfere with each other?

This seems like a pretty noob question but I had to ask.

Advertisements

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBalls
i guess you should have prepooped..
FOURZERO3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: 2 MBP hooked up to the same gear?

What kind of gear did you have in mind?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
FOURZERO3
Granular Poster
FOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MCFOURZERO3 is a savage MC
the beach

This is what I have right now.

Novation 61SL MK2 MIDI Keyboard
Novation Launchpad
Avid Mbox Mini
Blue Baby Bottle Mic
KRK RP8G2 monitors

I'll probably add a synth keyboard to my studio next paycheck.

------------------

Quote:
Old 28-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURZERO3 View Post
Novation 61SL MK2 MIDI Keyboard
Novation Launchpad
Input devices are going to be a headache. Whenever you do something on a device both MBP's are going to receive messages. If the midi device has a bank feature then I suppose you could set it up so that each MBP receives midi from a separate midi channel. But I reckon USB is going to be tricky, you'd need to connect via a midi which gets split as it leaves the device...but you haven't got midi inputs so this isn't really an option.
Quote:
Avid Mbox Mini
You'd have to split the usb out from the Mbox and connect to each MBP. I don't see it working.
Quote:
Blue Baby Bottle Mic
KRK RP8G2 monitors
These are probably connected via your Mbox, so that depends on whether your Mbox can connect to 2 MBP's simultaneously, which I doubt. I've never tried this, or read about anyone doing it, so I'm just taking a guess at these answers. I foresee much fiddling and frustration should you pursue this endeavor .
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
FOURZERO3
Granular Poster
the beach

Okay! Thanks... my roommate was wondering. He always sees me playing around in my studio and wants to be able to throw his MBP in and join... looks like he's gonna have to get his own stuff too!!

------------------

Quote:
Old 28-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

MIDI sync them?
Network (LAN) them for transfering files, projects, etc?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

For your roommate to join in, I'd suggest getting a dirt cheap mixer (something like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
), connect the audio outs of both MBPs to the mixer inputs and your monitors to mixer outputs. Have your roomate download the demo version of Live to play about with, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, one of you take the Launchpad, one of you take the keyboard and off you go.

------------------
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
FOURZERO3
Granular Poster
the beach

Great! Thanks so much for your help... good thing that mixer is cheap. He's gonna buy it but I figure this may last a week or so haha before he gets fed up.

------------------

Quote:
Old 28-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURZERO3 View Post
Great! Thanks so much for your help... good thing that mixer is cheap. He's gonna buy it but I figure this may last a week or so haha before he gets fed up.
Before you go and buy the mixer, I'd go ahead and test the MIDI sync over LAN first to make sure that you can get that working okay. Just set both MBPs to play a click on every beat from the internal speaker and make sure they're holding good time.

Advertisements

------------------
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote